• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Not to pile on but…I’ve stayed a few times in February in a cabin on the Independence River in Glenfield. That big jump in elevation after you cross the Black River and hit the ADK park boundary does wonders for snowfall. Each time I stayed there snow depth was 3+ feet. 15 minutes away in Lowville snow depth was always noticeably less. Not an area that probably gets the best radar coverage but the snow really piles up over there. So if you ever want to head a bit east/southeast there’s big snow there too. 

O yea, anywhere with elev. Like I said though, I avg over 100" can't really complain lol. I mean relative scheme of things for the area I'm the low man out, but a 126" snow mean is wow worthy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I dunno, from experiencing this lake effect stuff and east coast blizzards, I'll take a blizzard of this 10 mile wid lake effect band stuff lol. I know that is going to make a few posters roll over in their grave. 

I spent 37 years living in NJ and I agree wholeheartedly. The right lake effect band with wind like tonight has no rival!

11 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

O yea, anywhere with elev. Like I said though, I avg over 100" can't really complain lol. I mean relative scheme of things for the area I'm the low man out, but a 126" snow mean is wow worthy. 

You could always come back to the frozen mud and scant snow piles back home here in Pennsylvania. It's a sad sight. You made the right choice relocating to upstate NY (or if you want to say northern NY). No nuked snow covers, weeks of brown in winter and weeks of chasing ghost storms. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 96blizz said:

I spent 37 years living in NJ and I agree wholeheartedly. The right lake effect band with wind like tonight has no rival!

I mean sure, you get these insane rates, but it's so localized. Then like what happened with @TugHillMatt one day of sun and temp neat 40 and you lose 10 inch snow pack to 2". Stuff just sublimates and melts with no mercy. Atleast with blizzards there is some man sweat in there instead of this Co2 driven stuff lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Parsley said:

You could always come back to the frozen mud and scant snow piles back home here in Pennsylvania. It's a sad site. You made the right choice relocating to upstate NY (and if you want to say northern NY). No nuked snow covers, weeks of brown in winter and weeks of chasing ghost storms. 

Hahaa, I'll pass on that. Though I will miss a good blizzard 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I mean sure, you get these insane rates, but it's so localized. Then like what happened with @TugHillMatt one day of sun and temp neat 40 and you lose 10 inch snow pack to 2". Stuff just sublimates and melts with no mercy. Atleast with blizzards there is some man sweat in there instead of this Co2 driven stuff lol

To each their own. For me its all about the snow falling and crazy rates. Inside of a LES band you'll never experience that in a synoptic storm. We had rates of 6-8" per back in 2014 peak stuff, off Ontario in the strongest bands 10-12" per hour has been recorded. Good luck finding that in synoptic. The worst synoptic storm I've been doesn't even compare to a marginal LES event. I've seen some crazy storms hiking in various mountain ranges and the middle of a crazy LES band is unmatched. Going outside and seeing snow on the ground just doesn't do it for me. I need this

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean if I lived in Syracuse I would be in the middle of that thing right now after work. How far of a drive is it like 20-30 minutes? 

I care about snow retention, so I was few miles east of Pulaski.  It’s amazing how much that slow, almost unnoticeable, elevation gain makes a difference in snowpack.  I believe my drive down 81 to the 7th North St area (roughly the Thruway/81 interchange) was around 45 minutes in good weather.  20-30 minutes probably gets you to Brewerton and Central Square exits.  Central Square is the northern extent of “most” commuters…..much less traffic heading up to Parish, Mexico, Pulaski and beyond.  Only toothless people are allowed farther north. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

I care about snow retention, so I was few miles east of Pulaski.  It’s amazing how much that slow, almost unnoticeable, elevation gain makes a difference in snowpack.  I believe my drive down 81 to the 7th North St area (roughly the Thruway/81 interchange) was around 45 minutes in good weather.  20-30 minutes probably gets you to Brewerton and Central Square exits.  Central Square is the northern extent of “most” commuters…..much less traffic heading up to Parish, Mexico, Pulaski and beyond.  Only toothless people are allowed farther north. 

That's what I'm talking about. Except Wolfie. He has a special visa for doing the lords work up there. ;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

To each their own. For me its all about the snow falling and crazy rates. Inside of a LES band you'll never experience that in a synoptic storm. We had rates of 6-8" per back in 2014 peak stuff, off Ontario in the strongest bands 10-12" per hour has been recorded. Good luck finding that in synoptic. The worst synoptic storm I've been doesn't even compare to a marginal LES event. I've seen some crazy storms hiking in various mountain ranges and the middle of a crazy LES band is unmatched. Going outside and seeing snow on the ground just doesn't do it for me. I need this

Yea lake effect has some solid rates, but the 20 mile band that only gets some people while everyone else smokes exhaust just is annoying. Synoptic snows can have very good rates too. Heck the snowstorm that hit VA last Monday had 5"/hr snows in it. 

Like I said earlier, the band is losing it’s intensity as it moves south. Look how the eastern end is collapsing and it hasn’t even left the lake yet.  It’s like a hurricane after it makes landfall. 10 miles north of me and it will be half the intensity when it gets here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I will say that band in Connecticut during Nemo and the band just west of Binghamton last December were pretty close to top LES caliber snowfall rates.

Yeah legit 5-6" per hour rate for multiple consecutive hours with that December 2020 storm here. Only thing missing was the wind and lightning.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea lake effect has some solid rates, but the 20 mile band that only gets some people while everyone else smokes exhaust just is annoying. Synoptic snows can have very good rates too. Heck the snowstorm that hit VA last Monday had 5"/hr snows in it. 

I followed that thread pretty close highest totals were like 15"? Someone got 15" in 3 hours?