• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

Well, that odd temp spike didn't last very long at all. It's down to 26/26 and dropping with everything icing up quickly now. 

PSA - the potholes opening up are epic. Twice while I was out the car in front of me hit one and flatted, one wrecked both wheels on the passenger side. As you can imagine it came to a stop pretty quickly. There is a Honda Civic sitting in the middle of one of the two streets that access my neighborhood with the front right axle snapped and nobody around, I guess the driver just walked home. 

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Well, that odd temp spike didn't last very long at all. It's down to 26/26 and dropping with everything icing up quickly now. 

PSA - the potholes opening up are epic. Twice while I was out the car in front of me hit one and flatted, one wrecked both wheels on the passenger side. As you can imagine it came to a stop pretty quickly. There is a Honda Civic sitting in the middle of one of the two streets that access my neighborhood with the front right axle snapped and nobody around, I guess the driver just walked home. 

I noticed yesterday on even my short ride home the amount of potholes that had opened up. 

Ooh just wait until it gets cold tonight and over the next few days. The roads are going to be nearly impassable in some spots. Right in front of my house is one that the town has just been dumping hot mix into for 20 years and it's about 8" deep right now and filled with water so everyone keeps slamming it. By the morning it will be a foot deep and 4 feet across so there won't be any way to avoid it.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Ooh just wait until it gets cold tonight and over the next few days. The roads are going to be nearly impassable in some spots. Right in front of my house is one that the town has just been dumping hot mix into for 20 years and it's about 8" deep right now and filled with water so everyone keeps slamming it. By the morning it will be a foot deep and 4 feet across so there won't be any way to avoid it.

Forecast low of 15 tonight. Went out to de-ice the car. Doors were frozen from last nights rain. Folks should go out now and de-ice plus throw down some salt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Hey man. I am back in Mahopac. I know you always mention "up on the hill" and have always wondered to myself if any of Mahopac is at 1,000+. I've actually driven up to the top of Kings Ridge Rd. thinking that may be it, my elevation app registered just shy of 1,000, maybe 960 or so I can't remember exactly. I know there are some areas over near Agor Lane and Austin Rd. on the opposite side that are up pretty high too, not sure if they hit 1,000 though. 

Edit: Just looked and found an 1128 feet on weather.gov's topo map by Lake Ossi off Barrett Hill Rd. (over by Austin Rd. school) Wonder if that's the highest...

6 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Meanwhile…my ****ing car decided to randomly turn on twice. Only thing i can think of is that someone bought a hyundai like mine, and is using the bluelink app to start his car (uses 3g so you dont need to be within a certain radius like regular remote starters) and entered the wrong vin number? It cant be a misfiring ignition switch because its turning off after 10 mins just like a remote starter would. 

oh and we have atleast a foot and its still snowing. Went for a nice hike through the woods this morning, best jebwalk ever.

Scary thought if you park the car in an attached garage.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Sounds about right. Doubt I'll be able to get a car back down to the road in anything resembling a controlled manner. I'll have to sit home smoking cigars and drinking bourbon all weekend. :(

I’m just hoping the sun tomorrow melts enough ice so I can get into the cars and then I’ll assess the driveway situation which is a disaster of just ice although now it’s sleeting with some snow mixed in to top it off. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sn0w said:

Hey man. I am back in Mahopac. I know you always mention "up on the hill" and have always wondered to myself if any of Mahopac is at 1,000+. I've actually driven up to the top of Kings Ridge Rd. thinking that may be it, my elevation app registered just shy of 1,000, maybe 960 or so I can't remember exactly. I know there are some areas over near Agor Lane and Austin Rd. on the opposite side that are up pretty high too, not sure if they hit 1,000 though. 

Edit: Just looked and found an 1128 feet on weather.gov's topo map by Lake Ossi off Barrett Hill Rd. (over by Austin Rd. school) Wonder if that's the highest...

I'm on the hill about 1/2 mile from Kings Ridge at just over 700 feet. Yeah that western side of town has a couple that top out just over 1k. I can picture what it's like on Kings Ridge right now, some people won't be making it home tonight, the roads are a disaster.

There's easily a quarter inch of ice on the ground and exposed surfaces are solid ice now. It's loud with the ZR and crackling trees and the only road south off the hill is apparently a mess with cars scattered. There's one of those craters at the top and it's sending cars spinning down the steep twisty section right below it. I got the car doors open but no telling if I can again later but I have my heat gun ready to go. I need a fkn garage...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm not really sure about what to do with my driveway. Another round of freezing rain this afternoon has totally locked in the 1/2" or so of sleet.

I just threw down calcium chloride a few times today. I’ll leave the ice pellets alone for traction. I’ll chop it tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m just hoping the sun tomorrow melts enough ice so I can get into the cars and then I’ll assess the driveway situation which is a disaster of just ice although now it’s sleeting with some snow mixed in to top it off. 

The snow and sleet will give you some traction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

The snow and sleet will give you some traction.

I was thinking the same thing. I have plenty of treated salt but it doesn’t work as well on a stone driveway as it does on paved, it just melts through into the ground, which makes the mud that much more ‘fun’.  Thus I always have sand on hand too. #1 son just called, they did his interview virtually due to the storm and he got the job he wanted with American. He’s done really well for himself so a proud dad here just wanted to share.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I have plenty of treated salt but it doesn’t work as well on a stone driveway as it does on paved, it just melts through into the ground, which makes the mud that much more ‘fun’.  Thus I always have sand on hand too. #1 son just called, they did his interview virtually due to the storm and he got the job he wanted with American. He’s done really well for himself so a proud dad here just wanted to share.  

Congrats :thumbsup:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Congrats :thumbsup:

22.6° pretty much sleet now and even the first few flakes of the day.

This is the worst accretion of ice I've seen in a long time. Usually I try to block these out so I can't even think of the last time we had this much.

The only positive, it does have a magical look. At least until I inevitably lose power.

• Like 1