• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

The finally tally here is an even 9 inches. I started to doubt myself even though I measured in several spots and went on the NWS site and saw a trained spotter recorded 8.4 inches from Highland Mills.

I picked up over 2.5 inches of it from 9:15 to 11:15, accumulating snow stopped within the next half hour. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Seems to happen a lot here. Must be something about the topography and just being south enough and east enough without being close to the river. Elevation is only 650 feet so it's about average in the town.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The finally tally here is an even 9 inches. I started to doubt myself even though I measured in several spots and went on the NWS site and saw a trained spotter recorded 8.4 inches from Highland Mills.

I picked up over 2.5 inches of it from 9:15 to 11:15, accumulating snow stopped within the next half hour. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Seems to happen a lot here. Must be something about the topography and just being south enough and east enough without being close to the river. Elevation is only 650 feet so it's about average in the town.

Do you have a Stratus?  I’d love to know what your liquid equivalent is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Mine was .24, so just less than 10:1. To be fair, I didn’t check it yesterday after I came home from work so maybe there was .01 in there  from yesterday’s light snow that mostly melted. 

Hmm, I didn't expect that much of a difference. I feel quite confident in my core sample, so either I under-measured my snow or we really did just take different routes to get to the same place. I'll have to corroborate with cocorahs reports in the morning. 

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Hmm, I didn't expect that much of a difference. I feel quite confident in my core sample, so either I under-measured my snow or we really did just take different routes to get to the same place. I'll have to corroborate with cocorahs reports in the morning. 

Yep, that’s what I’m going to do too. We can race to see who posts it first in the morning  LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

The same here a little over 3” and the same texture.

Really, three inches? I can’t believe the difference is that extreme 8 miles away. Very odd, I usually get more than New Windsor but not to that extreme. Are you in butterhill or near the river? I lived in butterhill in the late 80’s early 90’s and always found myself on the short end of snowfalls.

16 hours ago, BxEngine said:

No i had an electric blue pontiac sunfire, it was hideous lol

My friend talked his mother into renting a town car for us. He damn near wrecked it taking a corner too fast, the best part of which was my prom date sliding across the back seat into to me with all that God had bestowed upon her…let’s just say I had my hands full. That was the most action I got that night from that innocent catholic girl who went in to marry a doctor and have 6 kids. Clearly that night was her last “slumming it”. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

You mean bxengines car?

No, I have no idea what a stratus is, other than a cloud type. 

It’s a rain gauge that can also be used to catch snow when you take the top off and smaller cylinder out to then melt down to get the LE and it can be used to get the LE in the snowpack  

18D75DE8-7271-4CFF-BECA-17519038CE2C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

My folks in Highland Mills measured 8.5”. That town is such a weenie spot lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Really, three inches? I can’t believe the difference is that extreme 8 miles away. Very odd, I usually get more than New Windsor but not to that extreme. Are you in butterhill or near the river? I lived in butterhill in the late 80’s early 90’s and always found myself on the short end of snowfalls.

Butterhill. It still is on the short end. I think it’s orographics, elevation, and proximity to Storm king mtn. 

On 1/28/2022 at 12:14 PM, Juliancolton said:

Well, right or wrong, the time has come for my final call. Time is running out for those of us in the interior NW burbs to realize a major storm. The mesos are not only correcting east a bit but also trending toward more strung-out cyclogenesis, which will focus the precip shield along the SW/NE axis. I no longer believe we're in contention for the deform band, and in fact may spend most of the time under enhanced subsidence. The WV loop, while a thing of beauty, shows no major surprises at this stage.

HPN: 6.8"

SWF: 4.5"

MGJ: 2.9"

POU: 3.4"

Verification based on closest reports from Albany and Upton PNS and NWSChat:

HPN (Armonk): 8.4" (+1.6)

SWF (Gardnertown): 4.0" (-0.5)

MGJ (3 WSW Middletown): 3.5" (+0.6)

POU (4 SSE Poughkeepsie): 2.5" (-0.9)

Should have tightened up the gradient a bit, but not bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Verification based on closest reports from Albany and Upton PNS and NWSChat:

HPN (Armonk): 8.4" (+1.6)

SWF (Gardnertown): 4.0" (-0.5)

MGJ (3 WSW Middletown): 3.5" (+0.6)

POU (4 SSE Poughkeepsie): 2.5" (-0.9)

Should have tightened up the gradient a bit, but not bad.

Not bad at all!! 

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

OK, here we go. Here are the three closest observers to me.

D3LNE9k.png

My LE is very much in-line with these, no issues there. The problem is that DT-8 and DT-12, located roughly equidistant from me in opposite directions, both measured 60% more snow than I did. I measured on my usual snow board in the middle of a big open field, far away from any obstructions and, therefore, drifting. The snow was dry but dense, consistent with heavily fractured crystals and a windswept storm.

To add a little more data, I just went out and took some sample measurements throughout my yard of the loose snow depth sitting atop the crusty old pack that had been through many freeze/thaw cycles. I found one spot where my ruler went in 3.3" before hitting solid ice, but most were closer to 3.1". This encompasses 0.9" on Monday, 0.7" on Friday morning, and my apparent 2.3" Friday night to Saturday morning. The first two events were high-ratio, and likely compressed heavily with the weight of new snowfall (not to mention sublimation and any surface melting), but yesterday's snow wouldn't have been subject to nearly as much compaction after the end of the storm. This morning's "depth" makes it hard for me to believe that I severely under-measured. So, was saltation much more prevalent at my house vs. surrounding points for some reason? It was definitely windy, but I get the impression it was windy just about everywhere. I wish I could be sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious.

twtY9My.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

OK, here we go. Here are the three closest observers to me.

D3LNE9k.png

My LE is very much in-line with these, no issues there. The problem is that DT-8 and DT-12, located roughly equidistant from me in opposite directions, both measured 60% more snow than I did. I measured on my usual snow board in the middle of a big open field, far away from any obstructions and, therefore, drifting. The snow was dry but dense, consistent with heavily fractured crystals and a windswept storm.

To add a little more data, I just went out and took some sample measurements throughout my yard of the loose snow depth sitting atop the crusty old pack that had been through many freeze/thaw cycles. I found one spot where my ruler went in 3.3" before hitting solid ice, but most were closer to 3.1". This encompasses 0.9" on Monday, 0.7" on Friday morning, and my apparent 2.3" Friday night to Saturday morning. The first two events were high-ratio, and likely compressed heavily with the weight of new snowfall (not to mention sublimation and any surface melting), but yesterday's snow wouldn't have been subject to nearly as much compaction after the end of the storm. This morning's "depth" makes it hard for me to believe that I severely under-measured. So, was saltation much more prevalent at my house vs. surrounding points for some reason? It was definitely windy, but I get the impression it was windy just about everywhere. I wish I could be sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious.

twtY9My.jpg

Thanks to @wdrag I make a point to refer to these now. Clearly the Walden site has an issue with the precipitation as they must’ve had more than that but here you go, precipitation and snowfall from Friday morning through this morning. 

113B6C11-7053-4B4F-BEF7-DCFA2B824F1B.jpeg

C087DB3D-F4C9-43E4-983C-D9C70916632E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Thanks to @wdrag I make a point to refer to these now. Clearly the Walden site has an issue with the precipitation as they must’ve had more than that but here you go, precipitation and snowfall from Friday morning through this morning. 

I just realized I'm a complete idiot and forgot that the Friday morning snow is included in those totals. That brings me much closer to the pack. Dumb. 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Water Equivalent is notoriously a troubling aspect of snowfall-especiallyASOS. CoCoRaHs observers know what to do but it's difficult.  I'm sure snow ratios were at least 12-20 to 1, which brings up CP had .90" water equivalent and only 8.5" of snow.  These reports need to be taken as general idea. 

• Like 2