Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

38 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

I appreciate the cold and semi snow cover.  I just want 1-2 winter storm warnings and 6+ inch snowfalls, ideally one of those a foot plus.  I realize there have been winters when we have done a lot worse, but it's a bit tougher when the screw zones are so loud. The rest of Feb looks like decent potential for us, fingers crossed. 

I just want a couple mashed potatoes storms for photography. The windy crap that ends up in rock crevices and stacked up against fences... meh.

25 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Down a bit from a high of 47... thought I had an outside shot at 50, but that ship has probably sailed. Spring cancel.

Early install? 

Not liking what I see on the models but as you pointed out all that that QPF does not equate to accretion at a 1:1 ratio so we'll see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I dunno what to do with tomorrow. I have a cardiologist appt at 1 that I've been waiting 5 months for and the next availability is late March. I don't mind driving in shit weather all that much but most people are stupid and I can't have one of them take me out and ruin the only good car we have right now (that we just bought last month). I'm hoping the doc decides he doesn't want to travel either. NWS still has a couple tenths of ice here with temps in the low 20s by lunchtime.

50° in Cortland Manor (Peekskill) right now. 
Not liking the model trends at all. I really hope the place my daughter works closes Friday otherwise I have to drive her and she opens at 6:30am.
Inside of Cortland Manor it's roughly 150° so the 50° is probably leaking outside

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I say the main roads will likely be ok, but side roads a gamble.  The mains will be salted heavily.  I think I will close the Animal Hospital mainly due to staff commuting/ many from Dutchess.  

You should check now and ask if the Dr had any other cancellations next week.  That is a good way to get an appointment sooner than March.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DRVTS said:

I say the main roads will likely be ok, but side roads a gamble.  The mains will be salted heavily.  I think I will close the Animal Hospital mainly due to staff commuting/ many from Dutchess.  

You should check now and ask if the Dr had any other cancellations next week.  That is a good way to get an appointment sooner than March.

Heh, look out the front window of your office, see that hill about a mile away? I'm just about at the top of it. It can be "interesting" going up and down when it gets slick. 

We're bumping right up against the threshold between nuisance ice and ice that starts causing problems. We can safely dispense with visions of crumpled transmission towers, but I think we're all well aware of how readily a few weak tree limbs can knock out power for days on end. With cold temps returning this weekend, I'll be checking my generator today to make sure it's ready to go. Start 'em if you got 'em.

And not to worry... the Hudson River Ice Yacht Club is optimistic about a return to smooth ice in Athens with this melt/flash freeze potential, and they're even holding out hope to get some sailing in at Rhinecliff later in the month.

alyice.thumb.jpg.6304861a0af3b42db3fc65bf96d1af5d.jpg

• Like 2

I know that @Juliancolton mentioned this in the main thread yesterday but people have to stop looking at Freezing Rain qpf maps and thinking that's how much ice will accrete on trees and power lines.  NWS Upton even has this stated on their Ice Accumulation map but I don't think people even read it: https://www.weather.gov/okx/winter  I am definitely hoping for the under on zr but people have to realize that 1" of zr on a qpf map roughly translates into .39 of ice on trees and power lines (rooting for the under).  There are many variables but you get the drift.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I know that @Juliancolton mentioned this in the main thread yesterday but people have to stop looking at Freezing Rain qpf maps and thinking that's how much ice will accrete on trees and power lines.  NWS Upton even has this stated on their Ice Accumulation map but I don't think people even read it: https://www.weather.gov/okx/winter  I am definitely hoping for the under on zr but people have to realize that 1" of zr on a qpf map roughly translates into .39 of ice on trees and power lines (rooting for the under).  There are many variables but you get the drift.

Here's something I only just learned that makes those maps even more worthless, at least for the GFS. Bonkers.

gfsice.png.680f3dd0dd32b58ec8aa794d431163c8.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Here's something I only just learned that makes those maps even more worthless, at least for the GFS. Bonkers.

gfsice.png.680f3dd0dd32b58ec8aa794d431163c8.png

Well we learned this on the same day.  I was looking at the Euro 12z earlier and by 6z is showed .65" of zr at MGJ and the temp was 31.  I then looked at the max and min temp for the six hours leadup up to 6z which was 38 and 31.  It just didn't add up that it would be that much freezing rain over those six hours with that range in temps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Glad too see you made it up there.

We hit snow right about exit 29 or so. By lake george you could tell we were hitting recently melted flakes though. Lake placid has gotten a few inches so far, buts its been snowing pretty hard for a while now. Should get a foot. 

• Like 2