Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m not a jackpot guy but the fact that its so cold is a bit of a bummer because I’d have days of drifting here with more fresh snow. 1.9” on the board, in the old days it would be boarderline plowable as 2” was the threshold until the rules changed after the Martin Luther King 94 storm debacle. 

What was the debacle in 94?

I'm comfortable with calling it 5" but most measurements were closer to 4 with a wind beaten surface. Some of those bands have been really prolific producers, the wind changes to the E and the flakes get big for 5-10 minutes then the wind goes back to the north and the fractured flakes are back. 8° sux to shovel in but at least this super dense stuff isn't terribly heavy because it's so cold.

8 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

What was the debacle in 94?

Wish I kept records back then…anyway, we had a snowfall in the morning up here, I want to says something like 6”-8” in bitter cold temps before the warm front blasted through changing it over to plain rain. Then that evening the arctic front barreled through changing the rain over to snow and everything froze. At the time NYS was trying to save money and NYSDOT had cutback on night and holiday plowing. As a result the roads became blocks of ice that were impassable for days rock salt was pretty much ineffective during the cold snap that followed. NYSDOT then developed a policy that the plow should be dropped if there is any snow between the white lines on the road.  This link talks about the dramatic temp swings that occurred in NYC https://thestarryeye.typepad.com/weather/2012/02/new-york-weather-highlights-1994.html

That was an absolute mess even on LI. I was working in Little Neck and had parked up the hill that morning because I could stick my Jeep in a snowbank and have easy parking. I had to crawl up the hill to get to it and when I touched it the slide began. I literally jumped in, started it and threw it in reverse to spin it. It finally bounced to a stop 5 feet from sliding into Northern Blvd traffic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

That was an absolute mess even on LI. I was working in Little Neck and had parked up the hill that morning because I could stick my Jeep in a snowbank and have easy parking. I had to crawl up the hill to get to it and when I touched it the slide began. I literally jumped in, started it and threw it in reverse to spin it. It finally bounced to a stop 5 feet from sliding into Northern Blvd traffic. 

They were using bulldozers and road graders on the parkways up here trying to scrap the ice off. 

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Little bit of a band taking shape just east of the NY/CT border. Danbury probably approaching 1"/hr rates. With the low jetting off to the NE now I don't think there's much room left for westward progress of heavier snow.

qAsvXQp.gif

So close and yet so far.. I love the little snow I have and the wintry feel, but man, I was hoping 2015 and 2016 were behind us for good. 

49 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Little bit of a band taking shape just east of the NY/CT border. Danbury probably approaching 1"/hr rates. With the low jetting off to the NE now I don't think there's much room left for westward progress of heavier snow.

qAsvXQp.gif

That actually backed up a bit further than it looked on radar before it pulled out. I got a pretty hardcore burst from about 11:30-12:15 and now the wind is howling out of the N as this thing moves out. The roads are like we got double (or more) the amount due to wind but even more so due to show fkn cold it is. It's gotta be 6" here but most measurements I was able to take are around 5 because of the wind. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The euro looks interesting Thursday night into Friday…

I've been intrigued by that for a few days now. It's exactly the kind of 50F rainer mirage that slowly but surely resolves into a nice thump ending as a little drizzle. On the other hand, after the last few storms, I take the Euro about as seriously as that NASA model someone posted out of left field. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1