Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Years Storm System, Dec 30th - Jan 2nd

northpittweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This gets REALLY close to me as well, maybe just to my west.....

Not to mention the GFS has a bug with the last update that effects QPF @ 192.

http://www.americanw...nd-at-hour-192/

Yeah, I've noticed that. The QPF fields at 192 get a convective look to them.

Wrt to the system, considering MSP was well in the rain 24 hours ago, we've got things moving in the right direction.

Cuts through Chicagoland. Goes negatively tilted and brings up an impressive amount of WAA with 850s of 10 up to northern OH...followed by post-frontal snows, which are highly suspect because post frontal snow barely ever works out the way you want it to.

Congrats MSP, WI, IA, Northern MI...

DSM-MSP-DLH get destroyed this run. DESTROYED.

Well, everyone wanted the block gone. So per this I will go from a nice snowpack while watching MSP get buried, to a snow-melting thaw and watching MSP getting buried? No thank you, I will keep the block.

Jokes aside, this will change 100 times by storm-time. But in the end, Minneapolis hasnt had a good winter in, what, a decade, which was topped off with no snow after mid-Feb last winter? Detroit, Milwaukee, etc have been KILLING them with snowfall totals. So they are due. This is their year for sure, maybe even historic. It will snow no matter what the setup. I still will like to see what good this breaking down of the block will do.

I just saved some of the 0z GFS image at 192 hours...I dont think I have ever seen that much qpf in a 6hr period...this is just insane.

HOLY SH*T

A little bit of convective feedback going on but still impressive. Massive storm/occlusion. Will be quite interesting to watch no matter what side of the storm you are on.

I just saved some of the 0z GFS image at 192 hours...I dont think I have ever seen that much qpf in a 6hr period...this is just insane.

HOLY SH*T

I think it's actually 12hrs accumulation in that range. Still very impressive. Even though this is still sort of in the fantasy range, there has been a storm showing up around this time for several days.

Obviously way to far out to go into detail, location, etc. but this set-up screams ice storm potential for somebody in the Midwest/Great Lakes/Ohio Valley.

This set up screams severe potential also, this seems like another January 7th and 8th 2008 system

Just think on New Years Eve this year people in the Ohio Valley could be under svr thunderstorm or tornado watches while last year areas were in a winter storm warning i think

:guitar:

This was an interesting run of the GFS tonight shows initial wave of what would probably be freezing rain, and then as temps warm up it melts away the snow and then a severe potential. Earlier someone mentioned how you would melt the snow up this way, and the way this run shows it being a prolonged event with a big bang at the end would be the exact way you would melt the snow up this way.

SPC long range severe discussion

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0338 AM CST THU DEC 23 2010

VALID 261200Z - 311200Z

...DISCUSSION...

BY START OF PERIOD...STG SYNOPTIC TROUGH WILL PREVAIL OVER ERN

CONUS...ANCHORED BY PROGRESSIVE UPPER LOW OVER LOWER GREAT

LAKES/MID-ATLANTIC REGIONS. AS TROUGH MOVES EWD OFF ATLC COAST

THROUGH DAY-5/27TH-28TH...RELATED SFC COLD FRONT WILL CLEAR GULF OF

MEXICO AND PENETRATE MUCH OF NRN/WRN CARIBBEAN...LEAVING BEHIND AIR

MASS TOO DRY AND/OR STABLE FOR SVR THREAT FOR SEVERAL DAYS. BY

DAY-8/30TH-31ST...OPERATIONAL SPECTRAL...ECMWF AND ABOUT HALF OF

MREF MEMBERS INDICATE RATHER DEEP SYNOPTIC TROUGH DEVELOPING OVER

WRN INTERMOUNTAIN REGION...WHICH WOULD INDUCE STG HIGH-PLAINS

CYCLOGENESIS AND BROAD ZONE OF LOW-LEVEL WAA IN CENTRAL CONUS.

HOWEVER...ANY AOA 30% LEVEL OF SVR THREAT APPEARS IMPROBABLE UNTIL

AFTER END OF PERIOD.

..EDWARDS.. 12/23/2010

SPC long range severe discussion

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0338 AM CST THU DEC 23 2010

VALID 261200Z - 311200Z

...DISCUSSION...

BY START OF PERIOD...STG SYNOPTIC TROUGH WILL PREVAIL OVER ERN

CONUS...ANCHORED BY PROGRESSIVE UPPER LOW OVER LOWER GREAT

LAKES/MID-ATLANTIC REGIONS. AS TROUGH MOVES EWD OFF ATLC COAST

THROUGH DAY-5/27TH-28TH...RELATED SFC COLD FRONT WILL CLEAR GULF OF

MEXICO AND PENETRATE MUCH OF NRN/WRN CARIBBEAN...LEAVING BEHIND AIR

MASS TOO DRY AND/OR STABLE FOR SVR THREAT FOR SEVERAL DAYS. BY

DAY-8/30TH-31ST...OPERATIONAL SPECTRAL...ECMWF AND ABOUT HALF OF

MREF MEMBERS INDICATE RATHER DEEP SYNOPTIC TROUGH DEVELOPING OVER

WRN INTERMOUNTAIN REGION...WHICH WOULD INDUCE STG HIGH-PLAINS

CYCLOGENESIS AND BROAD ZONE OF LOW-LEVEL WAA IN CENTRAL CONUS.

HOWEVER...ANY AOA 30% LEVEL OF SVR THREAT APPEARS IMPROBABLE UNTIL

AFTER END OF PERIOD.

..EDWARDS.. 12/23/2010

That means around new years, that's when the day 8 ends right when the decent threat starts

Wow is all I can say to the 0Z GFS and it interpretation of that long wave digging through the plains and tanking out and undergoing rapid cyclogenesis. Ridiculous. The amount of kinetic energy in a storm that massive would make most nor'easters seem pitiful.

That is somewhat true, thing is the models have showing this for awhile now, so you have to think the chances of a midwest blizzard with a tornado event on the east side of the system

This looks like an early spring type of system in the middle of winter

The thing to watch this thing per GFS is progged to have a 250mb Jet max of 200+ KT in about 120 hours, that is a screaming Jet max.

Not only that, but the absolute sheer size of the jet stream. There is a massive amount of energy. Similar to the beast jet the October Bomb was hauling. It was just huge.

Absolutely spectacular.

post-999-0-58360400-1293172343.png

Archived