• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Years Storm System, Dec 30th - Jan 2nd

northpittweather

Well i have been seeing this storm on the models for several days while i was watching the possible east coast storm

This storm looks like a classic spring time system, this storm seems like it could pump warm moist air the whole way up to the lakes, so this could be a possible severe weather maker in the Midwest, Ohio Valley, and possibly southern lakes

Could be like the storm system that produced tornadoes in early January a few years back in 2008

GFS Model

post-1757-0-13524300-1293144512.gif

EURO Model

post-1757-0-28487900-1293144610.gif

GFS 850mb wind speed map

post-1757-0-78278000-1293144618.gif

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks disgusting. Would rid most of the snowpack :(. So this means the block will at least be destroyed right? lol. Its just a little confusing to a snowlover like me. Well below normal temps and constant snowcover with this block is "bad", and the block being destroyed is "good", with its first course of action a spring-like storm? :gun_bandana: I hope it means good things down the road...

Looks disgusting. Would rid most of the snowpack :(. So this means the block will at least be destroyed right? lol. Its just a little confusing to a snowlover like me. Well below normal temps and constant snowcover with this block is "bad", and the block being destroyed is "good", with its first course of action a spring-like storm? :gun_bandana: I hope it means good things down the road...

While cold and constant snowcover is nice, even you have to admit other than the one storm things have been pretty boring around here accumulating snow-wise.

If reloading the pattern and entering a more active pattern means we lose the snowpack temporarily, then so be it.

While cold and constant snowcover is nice, even you have to admit other than the one storm things have been pretty boring around here accumulating snow-wise.

If reloading the pattern and entering a more active pattern means we lose the snowpack temporarily, then so be it.

Boring yes. But perfect for Christmas. I mean even the rooftops have all remained snowcovered, so its not like the snow looks too old. It just really adds to the time of year. I may not be as forgiving of the boringness if it was Jan or Feb lol. IF this means better things to come, then absolutely so be it.

Im glad you started this thread. I have been noticing this as well. If everything pans out we could see some really nice warm temperatures with a good pump of moisture into the OV. I know all the snowlovers will hate it but at least it shakes things up :P

It's been so cold all over the northern part of the country for over a month now, a warm up and a system like this seemed like a possibility

temps are showing 40s - 50s going to the lakes, could be underestimated possibly

I want some our severe weather guys to come on and tell us what they think

It's been so cold all over the northern part of the country for over a month now, a warm up and a system like this seemed like a possibility

temps are showing 40s - 50s going to the lakes, could be underestimated possibly

I want some our severe weather guys to come on and tell us what they think

There's still a pretty deep snowpack across these regions, which will hamper the true WAA/instability at the surface somewhat.

This storm is a lock, no question about it.

And while the track is in question, everyone along/south of I-80 and east of the Mississippi may as well forget about snow potential this time.

here where i am i have had a month of snow and flurries, i need some warm air to get a break

this threat seems like it will evolve into a severe weather thread

Eh, my 3-4" snowpack will stick around for another week, then degrade, and Christmas will be over with, so white Christmas, check. Some folks have a very thin snowpack and wouldn't care anyways if it all melted. Though I'd dream of a winter-long snowpack, its inevitable that it will melt, so why not increase the chance of a large storm ejecting out of the SW, like 07-08, even if that means rain, t'storms, p-type problems galore, and the chance of a sizable snowstorm? Or at least have the chance of getting a clipper to track north without worrying about it shredding to pieces.

Archived