• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Years Storm System, Dec 30th - Jan 2nd

northpittweather

Definitely, I was checking with some of our affiliate guys out there and they said it was really surprising to them what this first system was bringing. Interesting developments out there and makes me wonder what is going to occur out there with this second storm and its chances of overperforming.

Read my earlier posts about the storm. The first wave amplified a lot more than what was expected. Some good positive feedback here.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read my earlier posts about the storm. The first wave amplified a lot more than what was expected. Some good positive feedback here.

http://www.americanw...post__p__206496

I do agree, with the shifting of the LL Baroclinic zone, s/w #2 will get nudged to the east, and sometimes the trend of higher amplifications of shortwaves can continue. With what you said in mind along with that fact, I believe folks on the eastern edge of the warnings currently will receive the brunt of the storm with a bit more in store for them then they are expecting. Will do accumulations for the storm later tonight.

Well it looks like the colder air is going to come in faster. Good. It looks like I still have a mat on the driveway. Good thing I have a pair of ice cleats attached to my boots because it is going to be a hockey rink when this stuff refreezes. The lake snow is going to start tomorrow and snow for the rest of the forecast period. John Dee is forecasting up to two feet of snow by next Friday for the Keweenaw.

Right now it is 40 and suppose to drop to 25 by 3 pm. Good thing today there is no work due to we get News Year eve off. All this water is going to flash freeze.

Definitely agree with this, going to pose some dangerous travel conditions out there on the roads. Also, seems as if the Eastern Dakotas areas will see the highest accumulations, on the order of 10-16 inches, which will only pile on top of the 6-12 inches they have already received.

some hail reports around the TC's

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN

334 PM CST FRI DEC 31 2010

0219 PM HAIL 1 W LITTLE CANADA 45.02N 93.10W

12/31/2010 M0.25 INCH RAMSEY MN TRAINED SPOTTER

FELL FOR 3 MINUTES COVERING GROUND. THIS WAS NOT SLEET.

IT WAS HAIL.

0310 PM HAIL WSW LITTLE CANADA 45.02N 93.08W

12/31/2010 M0.25 INCH RAMSEY MN TRAINED SPOTTER

0337 PM HAIL ST FRANCIS 45.38N 93.36W

12/31/2010 M0.25 INCH ANOKA MN TRAINED SPOTTER

METAR KMBG 312155Z AUTO 34029G39KT M1/4SM +SN VV001 M19/M22 A2964 RMK AO2 PK WND 34039/2151 SLP083 P0001 T11891217 TSNO

-2º, heavy snow, and wind gusting to 45MPH at Mobridge SD. Very nice.

Just a lousy snow eating torch continuing here. Some light rain has moved in...maybe we'll clear 0.10" for the day. :arrowhead:

Other than the mild air and snow melt, this entire system has been a big non-event for east-central Iowa. We made it through with nothing more than about 0.03" of rain.

Yeah this storm was pretty lame for our part of the Midwest. Only got about a tenth of an inch of rain here. It's basically been just a fog/melt fest.

second system was largely a joke for south dakota. This is why I try not to get myself hyped up for winter storms too much, they are such a mixed bag and usually fall short of snowfall estimates. Fast moving bands of precip that were pretty light and lots of gaps in coverage. Including for those areas that were supposedly going to get 10+ inches. Just too fast moving. But hey, we got a few fresh inches and still have a snowpack, it didn't all melt.

Amazing thing, all the maps seemed to vibe with the estimates, and it didn't pan out.

Well we warmed up overnight to 32, but that is going to drop again. The NWS put up a Lake effect snow advisory for tonight through tomorrow for up to a foot of snow. I just read the forecast discussion and they might put a warning up instead. Suppose to get a convergence band setting up over this area. Also, the model is showing a sharp low pressure system setting up out on the big lake that may cause lake enhanced snows Monday and Monday night. So hopefully we will get all the snow we lose with that thaw back and maybe a little more then we had.

Now we are down to 7 degrees from 32 early this morning. Winds are still out of the SW keeping the lake snow parallel to the shore. The winds are suppose to switch coming from the west by 7 pm blowing all that snow inland. It won't surprise me if the NWS upgrades the lake snow advisory to a warning for Northern Houghton county into Keweenaw county.

Archived