Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I did… I didn’t drain the fuel from the tank but did put stabilizer in the tank and ran it. 

I also started the thing like a month and a half ago and it fired right up and ran fine 

Well it's obviously a fuel to air ratio problem, which is why priming it helps keep it running for a bit and also why it runs on choke. The choke increases the fuel to air ratio. It's also fine to use it just running on the choke if that's what you need to do, until you figure out the problem. I'd start with some carb cleaner though.

8 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Well it's obviously a fuel to air ratio problem, which is why priming it helps keep it running for a bit and also why it runs on choke. The choke increases the fuel to air ratio. It's also fine to use it just running on the choke if that's what you need to do, until you figure out the problem. I'd start with some carb cleaner though.

Thanks. I tried running it just on choke and it runs for a bit, then stalls out.

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Sounds like the carb just needs a cleaning, check you tube on how to do it, that's how I did my old one.

There's only so much that could be going wrong, and 90% of the time it's a clogged carb. I suggested removing the gas cap as a way of eliminating the possibility that his gas cap air vent is clogged and is creating a vacuum that isn't allowing fuel to flow freely - it's a very easy test to do to eliminate a possible cause. But if he filled up his tank before trying it today, it probably would have started and ran for a bit before shutting off. And I assume if his fuel line was cracked open, he'd have noticed the gasoline on the floor.

25 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

There's only so much that could be going wrong, and 90% of the time it's a clogged carb. I suggested removing the gas cap as a way of eliminating the possibility that his gas cap air vent is clogged and is creating a vacuum that isn't allowing fuel to flow freely - it's a very easy test to do to eliminate a possible cause. But if he filled up his tank before trying it today, it probably would have started and ran for a bit before shutting off. And I assume if his fuel line was cracked open, he'd have noticed the gasoline on the floor.

So I took the gas cap off and it’s running off choke now at almost full power. When I push it all the way to full power it stalls or when I try to use the auger it stalls. I can drive it like that though. So weird 

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I took the gas cap off and it’s running off choke now at almost full power. When I push it all the way to full power it stalls or when I try to use the auger it stalls. I can drive it like that though. So weird 

Well, you should make sure the vent in the cap is clean anyway (spray with some carb cleaner) but it still sounds like a blocked carb. The gas cap being off is probably just helping in the sense that it's doing the opposite of creating a vacuum, whatever that's referred to as...increasing gasoline flow similar to the way the carb on a pipe works with air, if that's something you are familiar with. But if it is still stalling under full load, that's just a band aid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Well, you should make sure the vent in the cap is clean anyway (spray with some carb cleaner) but it still sounds like a blocked carb. The gas cap being off is probably just helping in the sense that it's doing the opposite of creating a vacuum, whatever that's referred to as...increasing gasoline flow similar to the way the carb on a pipe works with air, if that's something you are familiar with. But if it is still stalling under full load, that's just a band aid.

I just looked on YouTube about taking the carb off. What a project that’s going to be. Of course it’s not easily accessible.

Would taking just the bowl off and cleaning that and hitting the inside of it with some carb cleaner work? I can see the nut and bowl without taking anything apart… so I’m wondering if just removing the bowl would be enough 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I just looked on YouTube about taking the carb off. What a project that’s going to be. Of course it’s not easily accessible.

Would taking just the bowl off and cleaning that and hitting the inside of it with some carb cleaner work? I can see the nut and bowl without taking anything apart… so I’m wondering if just removing the bowl would be enough 

You can try that before you get more involved but like JC said, 90% of the time it's the carb.

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What's the make and model?

First thing you should probably do if you haven't already is drain the old gas and fill it with fresh gas, and assuming it's a 4 stroke engine (no mixing gas with oil), check/top off the oil.

21 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Also, I usually just add stabilizer right to the gas can itself before refilling it...a lot easier than trying to mix it into every single tank of the actual equipment itself.

That's a great suggestion, thanks. I never thought to do it that way. It's always the simple thing that makes a difference.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

What's the make and model?

First thing you should probably do if you haven't already is drain the old gas and fill it with fresh gas, and assuming it's a 4 stroke engine (no mixing gas with oil), check/top off the oil.

It’s a cub cadet 2 stage snowblower, I’m going to drain the gas and take the bowl off the carb and clean it and spray some carb cleaner into the thing… see what happens 

58 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sounds like the governor is stuck. Spray all the linkages and springs on top of the carb and make sure they all move freely. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

They don’t mKe stuff like they used to, that’s for sure. My dad had a craftsman snowblower that we would beat the piss out of and just put it away during the summer. Thing fired up next winter no problem.

I had a craftsman lawn tractor, never did a damn thing to it and started for 15 years every single time. Only thing I did was sharpen the blades now and then.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

102.7…that was quick. Good thing i’m vaxxed I guess. I’m in good shape and eat healthy too…must have some bad covid genetics. :lol: :unsure:

Everyone is getting it right now. Even vaxxed and boosted people. It's actually kind of nuts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Sucks. Any plans to get tested? NH still has some free test kits available if you haven't already gotten yours. 

I’ve gotten 2 PCR tests in the past 6 months…both negative. I would’ve gone today, but didn’t want to go out in the weather. Maybe tomorrow if I get worse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s raging through my school right now.  Kids are getting mildly ill and going home.  
My wife had it but it was super mild.  All done now.  
I had something in mid December that knocked me on my ass.  I tested negative. Prob the flu , but I wonder.  

My niece got it for the 2nd time today. 1st time was nbd, but this time she has the aches and shortness of breath. She just turned 16. 

I’ve been wearing a mask when out again and still managed to get sick. 

I’m considering the flu shot yearly now. I tend to be very prone to it and get sky high fevers when I do. I guess my immune system is one of those cytokine storm types. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Recent timeline of snowblower related events:

• My dads truck got stuck at the bottom of the driveway while plowing after the 12/17/21 superblizzard.
  • I fired up the snowblower and went down to rescue.
  • Snowblower promptly stalled when pushed into the snow too fast.
  • Angrily used pull cord to restart. Cord broke.
  • Angrily pulled every muscle in my body trying to drag it back up the hill.
  • Used the electric start for the rest of the winter.
  • Discovered when pulling the snowblower out of storage last October for a test run that the electric start stopped working.
  • Spent days trying to fix it and failed, so I
  • Angrily replaced the pull cord.
  • Tried to use the pull cord today but it's almost impossible to pull. Cold and stiff. I'm screwed.
  • Angrily tried the electric start in a fit of desperation and it worked as if nothing was ever wrong.
  • Cheerfully snowblowed todays 4 inches.
  • Suggestions on battery powered snowblowers please.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1