• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

From November 1st to today, December 20th, the Philadelphia area has only seen 0.82" of precip, Wilmington DE 1.19", and Trenton area 1.28"... all of which are record low amounts in this ~50 day stretch. New Brunswick NJ, Allentown, and Reading are close to record low amounts as well. It has been a really dry stretch to close out astronomical Autumn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newman said:

From November 1st to today, December 20th, the Philadelphia area has only seen 0.82" of precip, Wilmington DE 1.19", and Trenton area 1.28"... all of which are record low amounts in this ~50 day stretch. New Brunswick NJ, Allentown, and Reading are close to record low amounts as well. It has been a really dry stretch to close out astronomical Autumn

A little more but only 2.13" here in NW Chester County PA since November 1st through today - normal over that span is 6.64"

Early January just got can-kicked thanks to a full lat ridge linkup in the East between the SER and NAO. This was a legit concern of mine a week or so ago that I posted about, but I decided to try and point out some positives on the ens. That method isn't working anymore and there is no sense sugarcoating things. Going to be a winter that requires tons of patience and we likely get a 7-14 stretch of actual winter if we are lucky. 

• Like 1

1640090396979_98146774297401.gif

The SER is going to continue to show as flat after day 10 with a weakness thru the Midwest and extending into the 50/50. This would be great most seasons. And this isn't just saying this is Nina, it sucks, deal with it. This is a fact if you go back over the past several weeks. This is the 3rd time we've been headfaked into some mythical pattern change recently. Then once the ens get under 10 days the SER shows stronger and begins linking with the NAO. Wash, rinse, repeat.......for now. 

I will likely be wrong in my thinking that the NAO may save us this winter and be a key factor. It looks like the -PNA and SER via Nina are our big players and we are going to need help from those for our window to open. 

12 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro mjo stalls out even longer in 7 and now the gefs does the same also.

Phase 7 isn't bad but phase 8 and 1 is way better

Once I saw the MJO getting discussed ad nauseum elsewhere 2 weeks ago, I knew exactly where we were headed. I made a "heads up" post regarding MJO for 2 winters ago that also got stuck in the same manner but was told that this time is different. Im not looking for arguments, hopefully we get some true discussion,  but I would rather just be honest (different than a deb btw) than be like a JB-type dangling carrots and making people think things are golden. Yes, we will have a period of winter sandwiched in this season. It happens in even the most unproductive winters. My point isn't to cancel the season lol. It is to factually discuss the repetitive pattern until there are LEGIT mid range signs that it is going to shift around. We need the PNA to shift first and foremost imho but with the Nina and the PDO phase the way it is, that's a double whammy and tough order but it can and will happen eventually..just not sure when. Lots of patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

1640090396979_98146774297401.gif

The SER is going to continue to show as flat after day 10 with a weakness thru the Midwest and extending into the 50/50. This would be great most seasons. And this isn't just saying this is Nina, it sucks, deal with it. This is a fact if you go back over the past several weeks. This is the 3rd time we've been headfaked into some mythical pattern change recently. Then once the ens get under 10 days the SER shows stronger and begins linking with the NAO. Wash, rinse, repeat.......for now. 

I will likely be wrong in my thinking that the NAO may save us this winter and be a key factor. It looks like the -PNA and SER via Nina are our big players and we are going to need help from those for our window to open. 

During the good winters the day 9-10 pattern changes move up in time. We keep getting head faked. It's a damn shame to waste a NAO like this. Winter is weird though. We could go practically snowless and then have two 12" events in late Feb and March, you just never know. I'd do dirty things for a repeat of last year. Yea the city missed the jackpot during events, but at least there was tracking and chase worthy events. This is boring

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Fortunately I think most of us have come into this wither with low expectations. One winter that's been in the back of my mind is 1998-99. It was also a Nina, but other than that I don't know if there are other similarities to this year.

98-99 certainly wasn't a memorable winter, but not a shut out either. We had a few weeks of winter that year where we got nickeled & dimed. I think our "biggest" event was in March.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Once I saw the MJO getting discussed ad nauseum elsewhere 2 weeks ago, I knew exactly where we were headed. I made a "heads up" post regarding MJO for 2 winters ago that also got stuck in the same manner but was told that this time is different. Im not looking for arguments, hopefully we get some true discussion,  but I would rather just be honest (different than a deb btw) than be like a JB-type dangling carrots and making people think things are golden. Yes, we will have a period of winter sandwiched in this season. It happens in even the most unproductive winters. My point isn't to cancel the season lol. It is to factually discuss the repetitive pattern until there are LEGIT mid range signs that itnis going to shift around. 

I know you guys know about this but a well-placed SSW event that breaks up the PV is one variable that can trigger a change.  There was a nice discussion about the one that happened last January here - https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/sudden-stratospheric-warming-and-polar-vortex-early-2021

I haven't had chance to dive into the current placement of systems at the moment, but conditions that would make that circumstance more favorable were noted in that discussion -

While it’s not entirely clear yet what led this SSW to occur, in the weeks leading up to the SSW there was a fairly persistent low pressure weather system over the North Pacific and high pressure weather system over the North Atlantic and Eurasia. This pattern represents a really large (planetary-scale) “atmospheric wave”, which can grow bigger as it extends upward into the stratosphere given the right location and wind conditions. These same weather patterns have been linked to prior SSWs. An extratropical bomb cyclone in the North Pacific just days before the SSW might have reinforced this pattern, but this connection will have to be investigated further.

ENSOblog_20210128_polar-vortex_reconstru

I'm thinking that nothing has really been "persistent" because the northern (PAC) jet has been progressive and moving things along fairly rapidly.

Interestingly enough, there was a significant SSW over the Antarctic back in 2019 that was analyzed and discussed - https://news.mit.edu/2021/how-sudden-stratospheric-warming-affected-northern-hemisphere-0722

But as rare as that type of event is in the Antarctic in comparison to the ones that happen in the Arctic, apparently another SSW was underway AGAIN in the Antarctic this past August - https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/south-hemisphere-winter-stratosphere-warming-event-fa/

I haven't found any updates on the results of that yet.

So there are all sorts of things going on that introduce more uncertainty to what the models are trying to accomplish for forecasting and the jury seems to still be out regarding whether a SSW in the Arctic might ever occur in the near term.

23 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I know you guys know about this but a well-placed SSW event that breaks up the PV is one variable that can trigger a change.  There was a nice discussion about the one that happened last January here - https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/sudden-stratospheric-warming-and-polar-vortex-early-2021

I haven't had chance to dive into the current placement of systems at the moment, but conditions that would make that circumstance more favorable were noted in that discussion -

ENSOblog_20210128_polar-vortex_reconstru

I'm thinking that nothing has really been "persistent" because the northern (PAC) jet has been progressive and moving things along fairly rapidly.

Interestingly enough, there was a significant SSW over the Antarctic back in 2019 that was analyzed and discussed - https://news.mit.edu/2021/how-sudden-stratospheric-warming-affected-northern-hemisphere-0722

But as rare as that type of event is in the Antarctic in comparison to the ones that happen in the Arctic, apparently another SSW was underway AGAIN in the Antarctic this past August - https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/south-hemisphere-winter-stratosphere-warming-event-fa/

I haven't found any updates on the results of that yet.

So there are all sorts of things going on that introduce more uncertainty to what the models are trying to accomplish for forecasting and the jury seems to still be out regarding whether a SSW in the Arctic might ever occur in the near term.

I posted regarding this in another subforum and was discussing with one of their posters for a few days now. Yep, this is the change the atmosphere needs imho. May hurt us, may help us.....but can't be any more boring than right now. The warming at 10mb across ens is encouraging.

15 minutes ago, RedSky said:

If the 12z GFS is right the botanical garden blooming flowers outside in NYC will still be blooming through the first week of January

I plucked a tick off the cat this getting ridiculous

How does one know a cat has a tick unless you search him/her everyday? Sometimes I have one for a little while after tramping through the woods before I notice...  

41F

Just now, Birds~69 said:

How does one know a cat has a tick unless you search him/her everyday? Sometimes I have one for a little while after tramping through the woods before I notice...  

41F

Cuz the lil vampire was so swollen from gorging on blood it was ready to pop at twenty times it's size