Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

I'd have to go back and look to see when it snowed that winter. I do remember starting spring cleanup in mid February. That was around when all the toilet paper disappeared, lol. Wasn't all that long ago but it seems like it.

Pretty sure we had one event of 1-3” in mid January that was melted by the next day and that was that lol 

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Pretty sure we had one event of 1-3” in mid January that was melted by the next day and that was that lol 

I had saved my old sig line and had this -

11/12/19=Trace - 0.01" (flurries/squall), 11/24=0.1" (dusting slushy snow), 12/2/19=0.50" (wet snow), 12/4/19=0.1" (squall), 12/11/19=0.30" (wet snow), 12/18/19=0.01" (flurries, squall), 1/1/20=0.01" (flurries), 1/7/20=0.20" (wet snow), 1/18/20=1.20" (snow/sleet), 2/7/20=0.01" (flurries), 2/14/20=0.01" (flurries), 2/28/20=0.01" (flurries), 4/10/20=0.01" (flurries)

Biggest event was 1/18/20 with 1.20" IMBY.  Total was 2.47". :lol:

I did make it up to 45 for a high today and it's currently 37 with the dp crashing through the day and now down to 20.

25 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I had saved my old sig line and had this -

Biggest event was 1/18/20 with 1.20" IMBY.  Total was 2.47". :lol:

I did make it up to 45 for a high today and it's currently 37 with the dp crashing through the day and now down to 20.

Nothing like flurries in April after a disaster of a winter. I did you one better and saw them that May.

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I remember seeing the 5 day with highs in the teens/low 20s all 5 days and it wasn't that rare. Such a pipe dream to think about it now...

41F/gusty

Horsham Park use to allow skating and had barrel fires in the 1800's err umm I meant the 70's. Somebody must have fallen through because they put a stop to it after the 70's. The early 80's were plenty cold to continue it.

43 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Horsham Park use to allow skating and had barrel fires in the 1800's err umm I meant the 70's. Somebody must have fallen through because they put a stop to it after the 70's. The early 80's were plenty cold to continue it.

Yeah, my parents would take me there as a toddler way back in the day. I didn't ice skate just ran around like a nut seeing how far I could slide. I think someone did fall through and that was the end of that. Now they have 2 big geysers throwing water in the air so it won't freeze and in the summer it will keep water moving so it won't get all stagnant...

31F

52 minutes ago, RedSky said:

"January 2016 - month of the epic day 10 storm AND the epic storm" sounds like you're talking about 2 different storms!  

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Back-loaded winter.  I know we have had frosts as late as the 3rd week of May.
:lol:

I mentioned starting spring cleanup in Feb. (in 2020), and I remember it being in the 40's and 50's. 2 months later in mid April it was still in the 40's and 50's, lol. Currently 32F here with a dp of 14.

24 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah, my parents would take me there as a toddler way back in the day. I didn't ice skate just ran around like a nut seeing how far I could slide. I think someone did fall through and that was the end of that. Now they have 2 big geysers throwing water in the air so it won't freeze and in the summer it will keep water moving so it won't get all stagnant...

31F

To rub salt in the wound, I remember having to shovel snow off the ice in order to play a little ice hockey, lol.

8 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

To rub salt in the wound, I remember having to shovel snow off the ice in order to play a little ice hockey, lol.

Yep.

I think my parents have pictures from those 70s storms and 83' but who knows where they are? Ya know, the days where you had to take the film to Kmart and get developed. I guess eventually I'll sort through them...

31F  

45 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

My interpretation is that it was one of the rare times a day 10 epic storm on the models actually verified. Does it still bother you?

Uhh yah I'm still bothered, why the AND? , why not just "epic day 10 storm"???  Doesn't that cover everything important?!

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep.

I think my parents have pictures from those 70s storms and 83' but who knows where they are? Ya know, the days where you had to take the film to Kmart and get developed. I guess eventually I'll sort through them...

31F  

Lol, I remember. I still say I have to get them developed if I haven't looked at them yet, or haven't downloaded them from my camera. For fun, you know.

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol, I remember. I still say I have to get them developed if I haven't looked at them yet, or haven't downloaded them from my camera. For fun, you know.

To go really retro (70s/early 80s tops)...I remember those "Fotomat" or "Kodak" booths they would place randomly/illogically in the middle of shopping center parking lots...looking back, how primitive and funny.

28F

photomat.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Back-loaded winter.  I know we have had frosts as late as the 3rd week of May.
:lol:

What a weird time that was. I was working my first full-time, outdoor gig, having been hired on right before all the lockdowns. Apparently folks involved in environmental remediation were somehow considered "essential personnel". For two months, I enjoyed practically zero traffic on my way down to southern NJ and back each day--I remember it being cold up until late in the month of May, and then all of a sudden it was 70°F and I was sweating in the Tyvek. Weird, wild times.

Speaking of cold weather, my grass is crunchy this morning. Still kinda hoping we see some flurries or something tomorrow or Saturday, but it looks like that chance is waning. Still, at least it's properly cold for this time of year.

image.png.a027a2a2af1fa5cb093ca1918f3e9734.png

• Weenie 1

Another pattern headfake alert. Already seeing signs of the better ens looks in early Jan becoming flawed. Colder/seasonable? Sure. Sustainable pattern change? Nope. Rolling over on itself and reloading. The Jan thaw this year will be beach wx with all these mid and full lat ridges in the East flexing from the SER. Beat it down for a day or two then flex on roids.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Another pattern headfake alert. Already seeing signs of the better ens looks in early Jan becoming flawed. Colder/seasonable? Sure. Sustainable pattern change? Nope. Rolling over on itself and reloading. The Jan thaw this year will be beach wx with all these mid and full lat ridges in the East flexing from the SER. Beat it down for a day or two them flex on roids.

We might see one huge Blizzard and that's it.

• Weenie 1