Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

34 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm replying to your "You sure about that?" reply then you go completely off topic w/the 2009 storm and say "Deal with that!" like you were right... 

Sorry I wasn't clear (and neither were you).  I was saying that in 2009, people must have been like "man this is our first snow of the season and it's 2 feet!!"  I wasn't referring to your comment about beating the record.   

And when I said are you sure about beating the record, I was wondering how you can see so far into the future when just 0.1 inches is involved!  

• Weenie 1

45 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Sorry I wasn't clear (and neither were you).  I was saying that in 2009, people must have been like "man this is our first snow of the season and it's 2 feet!!"  I wasn't referring to your comment about beating the record.   

And when I said are you sure about beating the record, I was wondering how you can see so far into the future when just 0.1 inches is involved!  

C'mon, you have to understand sarcasm w/the way things have been going. I really don't see anything through 12/31. I'm really hoping for a little something in the 1st week of Jan then more chances as we move on but I've been though this song/dance before where the models keep pushing things back and before you know it...it's March!

As far as Christmas eve/ Christmas, no snow but at least not a blow torch. Highs 40-45F both days, lows mid 20s to 30F. Just hope it isn't windy Christmas eve when I'll put out those illuminated candles by the curb. If so, the wind will either blow the candles out completely or catch the bag on fire... 

54F

-EPO, west based -NAO means the risk is cold and dry not warm and wet as we head into the latter half of December and into January. -PNA means we eject systems and they squeeze underneath the block. If they aren't potent enough they'll get shredded apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newman said:

-EPO, west based -NAO means the risk is cold and dry not warm and wet as we head into the latter half of December and into January. -PNA means we eject systems and they squeeze underneath the block. If they aren't potent enough they'll get shredded apart.

For those who like snow....I always say bring the cold and the snow shall follow....

46 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

For those who like snow....I always say bring the cold and the snow shall follow....

Thing is cold these days means in the 30s for a high. We would have to get the timing/moisture just right along w/temps or a night snow. Even w/night snow we have to be concerned w/the warm/above average ocean(coastal) blowing in. Can it happen, sure but I'm not holding out hope besides a couple nickel and dime stuff.

• Weenie 1

7 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

GFS doing swell this year so far....here is it's model run for between Christmas and NY Eve morning image.thumb.png.5e49a6dd2b477f9700bbc9c1b734b414.png

Finally, it's showing clippers riding the boundary across the area warm south and cold north battleground in between like the idea, but the reality is probably weak systems being shredded apart and moving too fast to really dump.  Looks like a progressive WNW flow but it's better than a fast WSW flow making slow progress. 

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

ECM sending bbq weather for Christmas and Boxing Day :sizzle:

Memorial Day weekend was 50&51 which was 18F below normal in Allentown lol

Yeah, instead of low-mid 40s on Eve/Christmas now looks like upper 40s to near 50F. Models will show a blow torch by Tues...

Light rain/ 39F 

6 hours ago, RedSky said:

ECM sending bbq weather for Christmas and Boxing Day :sizzle:

Memorial Day weekend was 50&51 which was 18F below normal in Allentown lol

It sucks but we have to be patient

NAO and AO look great moving forward on the eps. It sucks to wait but as time goes on , the pattern will become better.

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

NAO and AO look great moving forward on the eps. It sucks to wait but as time goes on , the pattern will become better.

Keep the neg NAO / AO looks and we will be given chances with the -PNA and the flat SER. Without the HL blocking we would be looking at 50s/60s regularly and not a chance. So while we may not even cash-in on these windows, it's better than a complete shutout pattern. Likely going to be a patience-testing pattern and in reality when all is said and done, we may get a legit 7-14 day period of winter sandwiched into this season.

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Keep the neg NAO / AO looks and we will be given chances with the -PNA and the flat SER. Without the HL blocking we would be looking at 50s/60s regularly and not a chance. So while we may not even cash-in on these windows, it's better than a complete shutout pattern. Likely going to be a patience-testing pattern and in reality when all is said and done, we may get a legit 7-14 day period of winter sandwiched into this season.

That's just depressing...

Cloudy/misty...38F

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

The MJO (GFS/GEFS) to MJO...  :P

Most of the models are showing that hanging in Phase 7 but as soon as it moves to 8 it will be game on.  At least Alaska's permafrost in parts of the state, is getting a refresh since it has been decimated by years of above-normal temps there.

Currently 39 and overcast, with dp 37 (a far cry from yesterday's low 20s after the cold front passage) and have 0.13" in the bucket from the showers this morning.

MJO-combphase_noCFSfull-12182021.gif

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

That's just depressing...

Cloudy/misty...38F

My bigger fear is that we get a deep west-based neg NAO and it links up with the SER and forms a mid lat ridge in the East. Need to keep the two ridges from linking up and allow waves to ride across and over the flat se ridge rather than pull a full lat ridge. We shall see....there are signs on the ens that this is a possibility. If the two ridges link up then it is game over/shutout for a period. One thing at a time....lets get the neg NAO established first and foremost.

Eta: reason I see this as one of our possible fail scenarios.....neg PNA and tendency for subsequent  ridging in the se is the background state so far in this Nina. And we've seen the ridge go full at times...tho mostly transient thus far. See no reason for either feature to fade fast given the current enso phase.