• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'm even fine with a rain game, I just want some kind of inclement miserable weather.  Nothing more boring than a bluebird football game.  Give me rain, give me wind, but most of all, give me SNOW.   Stubhub seems to have a lot of reasonable tix up in the 300's, and thats the best place to be in shitty weather!

I feel like the bad weather favors the opponent. Allen is best when its sunny and warm. This team wasn't built for the ground and pound.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Ill be there next Monday and have also sat through all three rain games.

The first one my wife threw out her poncho at halftime because beer was spilled on it....luckily it was a very warm rain I sat in for the second half.

That Indy game was so miserable. Cold, windy, rainy, and losing by 30. Can't get much worse than that. I left at end of 3rd quarter.

…as winds back to W late this afternoon into this evening, expect lake effect to increase some into western NY likely centered on western S. Tier into S. Erie county. Maybe an inch or two of snow at most if a band develops and can persist. Most likely looking at less than an inch. Later tonight, as flow is more WSW-W and shortwave and weak low pressure with warm front and isentropic lift approach from western Great Lakes lake enhanced snow will try to develop across Grand Island, Buffalo Northtowns and into western/southern Niagara county. A couple inches of snow may occur here as well with best chances on Grand Island…

• Weenie 2

9 hours ago, Flying MXZ said:

The amount of complaining recently about not getting feet of snow in November is, um, interesting.  I know I've enjoyed the past several days, with maybe 3" total snowfall.  

KBUF is at 4.8” for November to date, against a 7.3” mean, so a little under 2/3rd of the average November snowfall.

However, the maximum snow depth to date has been 1”. This stuff has no persistence. I don’t live all that far from the airport (a few miles due west) and we are certainly well short of 4.8” for the month. But over the last couple of days, we have had light snow that is almost immediately replacing the continuous melt. If we have had 4.8” IMBY this winter, the melt must be continuous, because when I look at the video from our camera pointed that at the bird feeder which captures a still every 15 seconds, there has never been a moment when you couldn’t see the top half of the grass blades in our back lawn.

If we got 4.8 inches in 6 hour period, and the snow actually stuck around for a day or two, I think Buffalo area residents would be less disappointed by these light snow-full melt-light snow-full melt cycles that have constituted Buffalo’s winter to date.

• Like 5

Performing a little recon mission here and scoping out the upstream radars…lansing Michigan is reporting moderate snow and has a WWA for 1-3” of snow. They are not near Lake Michigan so it’s not lake aided. The advisory also says there could be locally higher amounts. Could we see a bit of an overachiever here?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Performing a little recon mission here and scoping out the upstream radars…lansing Michigan is reporting moderate snow snd has a WWA for 1-3” of snow. They are not near Lake Michigan so it’s not lake sided. The advisory also says there could be locally higher amounts. Could we see a bit of an overachiever here?

That juicy area over MI is gonna slide well south and west of us.  We’re getting the scraps.  Our chance to overachieve will be if that lake band can get together at all tonight.  

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

And the St. Lawrence river valley. This active pattern is great for that region.

That area (Quebec City) and more so the area west of there (where moose probably outnumber people) fascinates me in terms of winter weather. Never spent time there in the winter but seems like the conditions would line up with what most of us hope for all winter. Every time we get a cutter from about now through March there’s enough confluence there to almost always keep it snow. They get big snows from both overrunning and bombing storms. While we drizzle and mud up with boundaries close by they get days of blue skies with deep snowpack. Funny thing is it’s not all that much higher latitude for such a notable change in sensible winter weather. Same deal though in reverse. D.C. isn’t that much lower latitude than here yet our winters are notably snowier/colder. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

That juicy area over MI is gonna slide well south and west of us.  We’re getting the scraps.  Our chance to overachieve will be if that lake band can get together at all tonight.  

Thing looks weak sauce right now compared to Mike Cejkas model at 11pm lol. Has a lot of work to do to get to that point. 

We got home from Tennessee at midnight last night/this morning. It was blue skies until we got to north of Columbus, Ohio. We hit snow squalls right at Mansfield and then had them most of the way. Here was the run down on quite an interesting evening of traveling along Lakes Erie and Ontario:

Mansfield through southern suburbs of Cleveland: Snow squalls with a heavy coating

Cleveland (downtown and I-90 along lakeshore): No snow and temp up to 40 degrees

Ashtabula: 36 degrees with heavy graupel showers making the roads a slushy mess

Erie: 32 degrees with several inches of wet snow coating everything.

Northeast, PA: Temp jumped up to 36 degrees with surprisingly the least amount of snow in that area

Mayville/Westfield Exit (60): temp even higher at 38 degrees, but most amount of snow on the trip.

Correctional Facility/Water Tower to Fredonia/Dunkirk: Heavy graupel and snow squalls with temps of 36 to 38 degrees with two different flashes of lightning!

Buffalo Burbs: 34 degrees with misty snow and barely anything on the ground.

Batavia: 32 degrees with an inch or two of snow.

Batavia to Seneca Falls: Temperature remained consistent at 32 degrees the entire way with light, misty snow.

Syracuse area: 32 degrees with an inch of fresh snow coating everything. The trees looked beautiful.

Baldwinsville, Actually the coldest reading of the trip as we pulled into our parking spot at 30 degrees! Lol... No sizzle there... :) 

The Graupel squalls made roads horrible...pretty much like driving in sleet. It was a very interesting, but nervous evening of travel.

• Like 3

In reference to some of the discussion earlier today, I think some of the angst is from looking at the synoptic systems, weak as they may be, have been providing synoptic snow to our west, south, north, and east (not southern New England) while anything that moves towards us is rain or falls apart. It's very reminiscent of last year. PA, mostly the northern part, has had a great start. (Remember, last winter was very good to that area of PA as well.) But, it's just the beginning. 

Down to 10° already, our lowest temp of the season thus far.  +/-3” of snow on the ground, including snowpack on our southern exposure blacktop driveway and local town roads.  White ground with snow showers every day since Thanksgiving.  Kids made a snowman Friday and went sledding Saturday and Sunday.  Sure seems like someone flipped the switch to winter around here!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

We have some light snow in Oswego. Ground is starting to dust.

Same here. We still have an inch of snow caked on everything in the shade, as well as some snow piles from last week..so it's looked sort of wintry like.

Looks like the lake may be adding a tiny bit of moisture for some weak snow showers. We really are "dusting champs" in these parts. I joke about getting 3431435 dustings, but really, we get so many of them.

Nice fluffy flakes falling tonight with the colder temps.

• Like 1

Picked up a light accumulation overnight, maybe 1/2" or so, continues to snow light but steady, 28°...WWA issued for this evening..

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS
EVENING TO 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5
  inches.

* WHERE...The Eastern Lake Ontario Region..particularly on the
  Tug Hill plateau.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 6 AM EST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the Wednesday morning commute.

StormTotalSnowWeb (13).jpg