• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

6 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I get it more with the tughill since they are to my west and that’s where the weather comes from lol

Yes. I was referring to Synoptic systems as well. You'll also see the lake effect "skip" over you and get enhanced a bit to the east off the elevation rises towards the eastern end of Lewis county.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yes. I was referring to Synoptic systems as well. You'll also see the lake effect "skip" over you and get enhanced a bit to the east off the elevator rises towards the eastern end of Lewis county.

Oooo yea, I’ve seen that already once or twice. That’s what would make me lose it. If 4 miles east gets crushed and west while I’m sniffing cirrus and flurries 

4 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Oooo yea, I’ve seen that already once or twice. That’s what would make me lose it. If 4 miles east gets crushed and west while I’m sniffing cirrus and flurries 

Welcome to Upstate New York. That's what will make you lose it.

Well, fellows, I think we may have another meltdown candidate in the making...just give him some time....

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Welcome to Upstate New York. That's what will make you lose it.

Well, fellows, I think we may have another meltdown candidate in the making...just give him some time....

;)

lol it takes a lot for me honestly. But a scenario where the tughill gets 2’ I get 4” and the Adirondacks 4 miles to my east gets 2’ would send me right off the cliff full bore 

• Haha 2

Just now, tombo82685 said:

lol it takes a lot for me honestly. But a scenario where the tughill gets 2’ I get 4” and the Adirondacks 4 miles to my east gets 2’ would send me right off the cliff full bore 

This one of the few places on earth where that is very much a possibility.

I lived in Redfield for a winter. Little did I know that SOUTH Redfield, where I was, gets like 100 inches less than North Redfield. Still got lots of snow (although the winter I was there was meh)... But it's tough to take when a location just a few miles up the road is getting feet of snow while you get scattered flurries and snow showers... multiple times during a winter. 

Although they don't drop the massive amounts of snow that Buffaloweather prefers, I like lake effect snow events with variable winds so everyone can get in on the action.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

F09BAFE9-9B9F-44B8-AE20-2545807F920F.thumb.jpeg.2fdd2841799317f40fbe4271a915f83c.jpeg

There’s not much snow even on the summit of Whiteface right now. 

The summits don’t usually have a lot of snow. It’s the 1/2 mile below the summits that do. I’m at 38/46 for high peaks planning to finish next year. I follow adk trail conditions and there is 2-3’ on most peaks. The wind blows the bare summits like whiteface snow all over. You need to find the protection of the trees to find depth. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

This one of the few places on earth where that is very much a possibility.

I lived in Redfield for a winter. Little did I know that SOUTH Redfield, where I was, gets like 100 inches less than North Redfield. Still got lots of snow (although the winter I was there was meh)... But it's tough to take when a location just a few miles up the road is getting feet of snow while you get scattered flurries and snow showers... multiple times during a winter. 

Although they don't drop the massive amounts of snow that Buffaloweather prefers, I like lake effect snow events with variable winds so everyone can get in on the action.

lets hope it never comes to that up here or I may put you to shame with a melt

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

lets hope it never comes to that up here or I may put you to shame with a melt

It’s a solid possibility. But, you’ll get more than most of us. Hard to believe 1,000’ can make that big of a difference but it does. Rochester gets downsloped every time there’s a SW wind. All the precip just disappears on radar. 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Once a pattern locks in, it really locks in. I sense there will be some cliff jumpers coming if this comes to fruition. 

ecmwf_T850a_us_11.png

I imagine that would be quite the Low Pressure/Cold Front moving along the Rockies and Northern Plains. Does that cold air progress East in the New Year or does a SE ridge just push it up and over us?

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I imagine that would be quite the Low Pressure/Cold Front moving along the Rockies and Northern Plains. Does that cold air progress East in the New Year or does a SE ridge just push it up and over us?

It should and would be an epic LES pattern. However, its been stuck at that look at the 10 day-2 week timeframe for the last month. It keeps getting pushed farther and farther back.