• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

34 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Last year started Christmas Eve. Had 30” from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day. 

I'm going to be nitpicky, I think you got at least half of that on the day after Christmas.  The day I did the monster 10 hour chase!  One of the best weather days I've had around here in many years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Light snow on Xmas morning is better than rain lol It could continue to get weaker and be a non event for the most part.. Obviously for WNY they need a bit farther south..

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_20 (3).png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_20 (5).png

GFS ALMOST gets most of us to snow, or is slowly trying…while I’m not seriously thinking anything will happen, I am liking the period after Xmas for some deeper  longer lasting cold with opportunities 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

GFS ALMOST gets most of us to snow, or is slowly trying…while I’m not seriously thinking anything will happen, I am liking the period after Xmas for some deeper  longer lasting cold with opportunities 

Yup. Models may be starting to correct to a bit more of a wintry  pattern. Lots of minor chances and thread-the-needle situations. If we get the deep troughs or cold (like 12Z GFS is showing) it could lead to suppression city. But it would at least provide cold for lake effect opportunities and perhaps some clippers.

• Like 2

Per usual, Sizzlecuse 4 degrees warmer than forecasted, 7 to 10 degrees warmer than everywhere else in Central NY, and warmest in the state. 35 to 36 degrees here in the NW burbs. I really think the airport has an intentionally skewed warm sensor. I have contacted BGM NWS about this a couple times and it's "been corrected."

17 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Grinch here. If I had to guess, in this pattern, I’d go with something like the ICON. If there’s winter wx, it’ll be with over running precip in the typical spots- ENY, ADKs. Hope I’m wrong!! Wish we were all in Lake Tahoe!image.thumb.png.4f650f12471de0817cf101b83d7889ba.png

I was just looking at webcams from Lake Tahoe. They have a deeper snowpack than the total amount of snow I feel like we're going to get this whole winter.

I chuckle and feel the need to take an anti-depressant after reading BGM's discussions. Anything snow-related is described as: little, scattered, minimal, perhaps, weak. The only thing that was discussed with almost assured certainty: WIND on Wednesday. :lol:

P.S. To be fair, that was from this morning's discussion. The PM update is a bit more enthusiastic and appears to be written by a bit more a weather weenie... lol

• Haha 2

Dropped a full 2° wrt forecasted Xmas temps lol At least they added snow in the mix..

Friday Night
Snow showers likely between 7pm and 1am, then rain and snow showers. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Christmas Day
Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all rain after 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Not sure how current this is..

The long wave pattern remains generally locked into a western
North America trough through the long term forecast. A broad
ridge is thus centered over the Great Lakes, however weaknesses
in the ridge are common and transient through the long term
forecast period. Each of these weak short wave troughs that
attempts to overtop the ridge will result in some form of warm
advection and light precipitation chances that will trend more
toward liquid than frozen with above normal temperatures
through the extended forecast. While timing of each wave is not
well agreed upon in the operational model runs and individual
models, using a multi-model ensemble mean approach resulted in
focusing PoPs on the Friday night to Saturday night period with
drying thereafter.

Just now, wolfie09 said:

Dropped a full 2° wrt forecasted Xmas temps lol At least they added snow in the mix..

Friday Night
Snow showers likely between 7pm and 1am, then rain and snow showers. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Christmas Day
Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all rain after 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Not sure how current this is..

The long wave pattern remains generally locked into a western
North America trough through the long term forecast. A broad
ridge is thus centered over the Great Lakes, however weaknesses
in the ridge are common and transient through the long term
forecast period. Each of these weak short wave troughs that
attempts to overtop the ridge will result in some form of warm
advection and light precipitation chances that will trend more
toward liquid than frozen with above normal temperatures
through the extended forecast. While timing of each wave is not
well agreed upon in the operational model runs and individual
models, using a multi-model ensemble mean approach resulted in
focusing PoPs on the Friday night to Saturday night period with
drying thereafter.

BUF's updated forecast high for Christmas for N. Cayuga is mid 40s, while BGM's for Onondaga is Upper 30s. BUF is clearly being more cautious until the Euro shows any signs of a farther south track.

I am thinking the dreams of Buffwx and Syrmax to sit in their pools in bathing suits on Christmas day in 60 degrees temps may be dashed either way. It's going to be a raw, damp Christmas despite whatever is falling from the skies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Weeklies are usually only good for 2-3 weeks out but here are the Euro weeklies from today. The Euro has been the best long range model by quite a bit. This is for first 2 weeks of January.

That's a beautiful look for having cold and an active pattern. The "squeeze play" of a slight SE ridge holding back suppression, and some solid cold pushing in to limit cutters. Still some risk, but I like how the cold slowly settles in over the course of those weeks. The pushing in of the cold air combined with the active flow could lead to beautiful things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

That's a beautiful look for having cold and an active pattern. The "squeeze play" of a slight SE ridge holding back suppression, and some solid cold pushing in to limit cutters. Still some risk, but I like how the cold slowly settles in over the course of those weeks. The pushing in of the cold air combined with the active flow could lead to beautiful things.

The last 2 weeks of January bring back a similar pattern to what we have now but thats way out there, not worth looking at.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

The last 2 weeks of January bring back a similar pattern to what we have now but thats way out there, not worth looking at.

Yeah, I've read lots of rumblings about us returning to the same ol' crap once mid January comes. That would be extremely disappointing. However, the same pattern from one month can yield different results another month. With less low-level warmth around the lakes and hopefully a solid snowcover across the northern part of the country, I could see this junk pattern being friendlier to winter lovers.

Interesting 18Z run of the GFS. Tries to keep it almost all snow from CNY and eastward. Looks like it hits a wall as the cold air sinks in from the NE. Of course, it gets shredded, but like I talked about this morning, this is one of our only options if we want a White Christmas. I could also see that first "surprise" system that we are now seeing show up for Thursday night being the "stronger" of the two.

• Like 1