• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Ok done. But I really haven't been tracking all the little "bread and butter" ones that are less than 0.2. Getting lazy in my old age :) 

We did beat the greens one year a few years ago, thanks to a bunch of coastals, but it's a tough battle. Also, it's all relative. We can easily beat the town of Stowe, for instance, but JSpin is in a perfect spot. If I lived at the cog rail base we may have a better chance of beating his records lol. 

• Like 3

I just updated my snow amounts.  26"  That is pretty pathetic for 1/22.   At least this winter we are getting the zero nights.  The GFS keeps trying to get a huge coastal next weekend.  Some runs have been out to sea and others close off well south.  A Georgia or Carolina blizzard?

Just now, alex said:

Ok done. But I really haven't been tracking all the little "bread and butter" ones that are less than 0.2. Getting lazy in my old age :) 

We did beat the greens one year a few years ago, thanks to a bunch of coastals, but it's a tough battle. Also, it's all relative. We can easily beat the town of Stowe, for instance, but JSpin is in a perfect spot. If I lived at the cog rail base we may have a better chance of beating his records lol. 

You guys get all the fake snow!  So much fluff that you can measure 8" that is half air.  We need to handicap anyone north of the NH notches and the Greens.  My stuff has staying power.  

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

You guys get all the fake snow!  So much fluff that you can measure 8" that is half air.  We need to handicap anyone north of the NH notches and the Greens.  My stuff has staying power.  

Eh. It’s still snow. Who cares about staying power ;) I’d rather have snow falling and covered trees most days than 30” that never melts but only gets refreshed once a week. And even the fluff does add up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alex said:

I never got the competition aspect of it, but I also have a fetish for meso-scale over absolute values.  Some definitely take a "mine is longer than theirs's" perspective of weather, :lol:.  Even with temperatures.  It's all good and having an appreciation for local climate... whether that's in SNE coastal plain, or deep Hudson Valley/Champlain Valley, mountains, elevations, hollows, etc.  No one can touch the differences in NNE, no one.  From one street to another and it is scientifically awesome.

Weather lovers just truly appreciate the different variances.  It's mind blowing to me, how localized and fluid the atmosphere is.  Even from one street to the next. With that said, my waking hours are spent in an extremely snowy location which will be wintry into May, while the sleeping night time is a few miles away in a more moderate climate but with high diurnal ranges.  Love the differences in my day.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I never got the competition aspect of it, but I also have a fetish for meso-scale over absolute values.  Some definitely take a "mine is longer than theirs's" perspective of weather, :lol:.  Even with temperatures.  It's all good and having an appreciation for local climate... whether that's in SNE coastal plain, or deep Hudson Valley/Champlain Valley, mountains, elevations, hollows, etc.  No one can touch the differences in NNE, no one.  From one street to another and it is scientifically awesome.

Weather lovers just truly appreciate the different variances.  It's mind blowing to me, how localized and fluid the atmosphere is.  Even from one street to the next. With that said, my waking hours are spent in an extremely snowy location which will be wintry into May, while the sleeping night time is a few miles away in a more moderate climate but with high diurnal ranges.  Love the differences in my day.

LOL at the bolded.

;) 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Anything in VT yet? Looks like some precip streaming into the area.

We had a period of light snow earlier and now flurries.

The Lake Ontario streamer was just north of this area… someone north of BTV may have grabbed a fluffy 2-3” in that persistent fluffer.

Now looks like into BTV but starting to extend east.  Weirdly it’s looked to be the valley the past 3 hours.  Maybe some northerly surface convergence just north of the boundary and Champlain Valley does good convergence funneling between the mtns.

4FCE8BE6-D1C8-4F26-AE8C-0868F84A2E95.gif.f9e2e9da937b32f623b2c963f9751d6c.gif

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

12z GFS also sort of pops a bit of coastal reflection and would hit our Maine crowd with a bit more steady snowfall.

gfs-deterministic-neng-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-3101200.thumb.png.bd6c1d3f2c93eea35aa7b18da1c41420.png

Sometimes these clippers go nuclear once they hit the Atlantic, Seems like its gathering a little more moisture as we get closer in, GYX has a map out for 2-3" here.

StormTotalSnowWeb11.jpg