• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

I'm visiting the gf down in Boston, but my landlord texted me some pics from the cabin in Jackson this morning. Looks like about a quarter inch on the grass up there. Enough to go down as the first accumulation of the season there.

Happy to see all of the AMC huts are reporting snow depth once again this season! Looks like 5" OTG at Hermit Lake and 6" OTG at Zealand Falls, both of which should get a couple/few inches out of tonight's upslope event. Perhaps the start of the White Mountain snowpack at elevations above 3k?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

White rain here.  Loud, sounds frozen.  Flood lights show fast moving frozen cores falling.  Leads me to believe it’s snowing up the road.  About as expected with this WAA precip.

BTV radar suggests above 1500-1700ft it’s a more pure snow.  It usually takes up to 1,000 vertical feet to go from full, cold snowflake to melted rain drop… the radar signature from bright banding and what’s falling here confirm a 1500ft+ snow level for accumulation.

I’ve got an update from the Winooski Valley this morning – snow line was around 1,500’, so that’s where it seemed to settle in by the morning hours in that area.  I saw a car that I assume came down from Bolton that seemed to have about an inch of snow on it, and their base area webcam at 2,100’ shows that they definitely got a refresher of the previous snow.

FVE reporting S+ at 1 PM.

Hope the snow doesn't come too big too fast.  I think my 11 y.o. snowblower had something serious break inside.  Had to replace the primer (rubber had rotted) and ran the machine for a minute, tried to restart and can't pull the starter rope.  Tried the electric start and it wouldn't crank either.  When that happened (can't pull starter only, obviously) to my old Husky 53 chainsaw, it was dead, broken pieces in the cylinder.  Will try to have the small engine place down the street look at it, but not ready to buy an expensive repair on a middle-aged machine so checking on new/used ones in the 8 hp range.
Ideas?

3 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Looks like some heavy squalls have been rolling through the White Mountains this afternoon. The remote site at Hermit Lake (3900') on Mount Washington is now reporting a snow depth of 8" which is an increase of 3" since just noon today. 

Yeah our 3,000ft snow cam had 2” last night, flipped at 7am and has had 5” more since then.  Matches the general 6-8” I was finding.  Officially it’s a 7” so far for Mansfield upper mountain.

Had to drive back up to drop off a friend who needed a ride from town to the hill.

Big changes since it got dark with accumulating snow down to 1,000ft and roadway is pretty sketchy above 1200ft.  Definitely a much better snow now in the base area.

Still white cat paws down in town.  It’s technically snow but white rain description seems appropriate.

Radar looks locked in.  Snow Cam shows dumpage with 6" since 7am.

1482738240_630pmCam.thumb.jpg.189c13c15ac36b0c453553e3ba60a855.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had to drive back up to drop off a friend who needed a ride from town to the hill.

Big changes since it got dark with accumulating snow down to 1,000ft and roadway is pretty sketchy above 1200ft.  Definitely a much better snow now in the base area.

Still white cat paws down in town.  It’s technically snow but white rain description seems appropriate.

That’s awesome. LFG baby.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I saw on the Sugarbush Summit Snowboard Cam that they had 8-9” on their board as of this evening, but I don’t think they’d cleared it since the previous storm?  It looks like one of the snowmakers cleared it about 20 minutes ago (you can go back in the video and see him doing it and that it was a bit of a stretch at times; the board is pretty elevated without much snowpack in place yet).