• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NHDrySlot
    Newest Member
    NHDrySlot
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

6 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Great!  Oh wait, I don’t use the NWS radar any more because it doesn’t function.

Any chance this will address the issues with their new radar display?

Probably doesn’t have to do with their worse than useless interactive software. Just terrible stuff. Whoever ok’d that should be fired. No, tortured. 

• Like 1

It's interesting that DPs are in the upper 30s at KSYR but around 50° at all the local WU stations.. Must be some drier air around there, either way it was a pleasant day, 63° for the high, gusty winds.. Temps starting to drop now..

Unfortunately I think the radar will remain the same lol I use WU and they will be effected as well..

32 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Great!  Oh wait, I don’t use the NWS radar any more because it doesn’t function.

Any chance this will address the issues with their new radar display?

The crappy user friendliness of the NWS site is all software related and really has nothing to do with the radar itself.  This repair is more of a hardware fix to keep the radar mechanically  functioning.  As far as I know nothing else would be changing.  

It is amazing just how much better the “free” radars are compared to the NWS site.  Feed from the same doppler data and it’s just hands down how bad the NWS radar site is.  

2FB1DC74-DCF7-4C46-9C97-00700356C06B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Interesting interactive topographic mapping I found.  Never realized there was a small elevated "plateau" that comes down the 90 corridor and runs right into downtown.  

KBUF ELEVATION MAP2.png

Now you see why the “transition zone” is the transition zone. Lines up exactly with that area of lower elevation.

• Thanks 1

Anybody have any good Fall color? The colors are awful around here this year. Whatever color there is, is very muted. The leaves were pretty much blowing straight off the trees today. :( With all the green still left, I am hopeful we can still see some vibrant colors the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Wow, that is crazy. I never knew that.

First Nov 14 event would have fit perfectly into that pocket.  Not exactly to scale but you get the idea.  That small lift in elevation from downtown to the airport could aid in the stalling process and stronger storm dynamics, snowfall rates seen on the extreme northern edge of the snow.  

topo snow zone map.png

5 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Interesting interactive topographic mapping I found.  Never realized there was a small elevated "plateau" that comes down the 90 corridor and runs right into downtown.  

KBUF ELEVATION MAP2.png

So. If you drive down transit heading north towards Lockport, that’s where the ridge at eastern hills is. The Sheridan dr underpass is the ridge to “transit Valley”. This COULD be one of the reasons why my area and north to UB are colder than KBUF…however it doesn’t make sense to the east towards Lancaster. That area was almost 9 degrees colder this am.

48 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Man we're approaching the daily high at 10 pm lol Need less than a degree.. Lake really a toaster bath huh? Even 5 miles inland, winds are pretty strong this evening..Dps up to 56°, almost tropical out lol

Temp dropped into the 50s around sunset, then the furnace SW wind kicked in and the temp immediately responded and bounced up several degrees. :axe: lol

Note: Bville is several degrees cooler than the airport right now and in the upper 50s. Still very mild.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Man we're approaching the daily high at 10 pm lol Need less than a degree.. Lake really a toaster bath huh? Even 5 miles inland, winds are pretty strong this evening..Dps up to 56°, almost tropical out lol

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Temp dropped into the 50s around sunset, then the furnace SW wind kicked in and the temp immediately responded and bounced up several degrees. :axe: lol

Forecasted high for tomorrow is 70. I'm still going with my 74 to 75 degree call. We'll hit 70 by 11:30 am. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Forecasted high for tomorrow is 70. I'm still going with my 74 to 75 degree call. We'll hit 70 by 11:30 am. 

Hit 66 today at KBUF, the low was 42. Normal low for today is 43. Tomorrow is the day I officially close the pool, just need to put cover on everything else is done. Oct 20th is the latest I've done it so far.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Note: Bville is several degrees cooler than the airport right now and in the upper 50s. Still very mild.

Yeah it's 63° here lol With a West wind.. Forecast low is 53°, doubt we see that..

Screenshot_20211019-231208.png

55 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So. If you drive down transit heading north towards Lockport, that’s where the ridge at eastern hills is. The Sheridan dr underpass is the ridge to “transit Valley”. This COULD be one of the reasons why my area and north to UB are colder than KBUF…however it doesn’t make sense to the east towards Lancaster. That area was almost 9 degrees colder this am.

Lancaster has very little urban development compared to around the Airport. Lots of "country" around that area.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hit 66 today at KBUF, the low was 42. Normal low for today is 43. Tomorrow is the day I officially close the pool, just need to put cover on everything else is done. Oct 20th is the latest I've done it so far.

What's the pool temp? I think you should wait until November and take a hairy legs floating in the pool shot...this is the year to do it. :lol:

• Haha 1