• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My high today was 97. Personally, it was the most uncomfortable I have felt outside this year. Lack of breeze plus high dews made today gross.

No breeze? It was pretty constant wind here. My station only was recording 5-6mph but by the way flags were flying and trees were moving it had to be more than that for most of the day. It was nasty in the sun but in shade it was almost pleasant (ok exaggeration) with the breeze

CTP is confident in our rain chances on Thursday.

Latest NHC track of TS Elsa is consistent keeps it south of the
CWA - going offshore around the DelMarVa peninsula early Friday
morning. But, the plume of higher/tropical moisture will likely
give us extra juice for the showers and storms which form on
Thursday. The heavy rain puts us in a MRGL risk for flash
flooding for Thurs. 

13 minutes ago, Anduril said:

No breeze? It was pretty constant wind here. My station only was recording 5-6mph but by the way flags were flying and trees were moving it had to be more than that for most of the day. It was nasty in the sun but in shade it was almost pleasant (ok exaggeration) with the breeze

There was a light breeze earlier in the afternoon here but not much. Then, when storms started firing mid-afternoon things went pretty much dead calm thereafter. 

21 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Closest approach yet by the Euro.  Gets convective rains and 25 mph winds to southern Pa :popcorn:. I preferably want the center to track over DC to get the core imby but I'm not picky .

ecmwf-deterministic-pennsylvania-instant_ptype-5821200.png

Can you please post the event total rain amount from this run if you get the chance?

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I like that we had many breaks in the June heat. 

I also like that we had a cool Memorial Day weekend and July 4th weekend was cool until it warmed up yesterday.

This Summer has been tolerable to me up to this point.

I wonder how many top 3 warmest months at any location have double digit numbers of days where the high temperature is below normal.

70 here this AM.  Looking at the Am models I feel we will need a juiced atmosphere over here to take advantage of Elsa's moisture in advance of the actual low.  The core of the storm seems it is going too far east and being on the outside of, once up to this latitude, is going to be high and dry.   Quick cut off.  

35 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely a cutoff with the core . Still a reasonable chance for areas around the m/d line for core effects . Baltimore areas chances are growing each run . Hopefully today's runs really hone in on the exact track . Regardless ...tropical moisture,  approaching front,  summertime heat  means excellent tstorm chances 

Speaking of tracks, the GFS from last week nailed the general location of the storm this AM.  Was too deep in intensity and was a little slow.    Check out the GFS from 7 days ago.    Americans can take a victory lap on this one. 

image.thumb.png.eb637c2af570a82b9d2f7a69ca83dc59.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Speaking of tracks, the GFS from last week nailed the general location of the storm this AM.  Was too deep in intensity and was a little slow.    Check out the GFS from 7 days ago.    Americans can take a victory lap on this one. 

Score another one for the GFS!

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

It's running up the score on the LR Pattern and placement recognition.  Its believe it also snowed in Canada like predicted.

It certainly appears so. Not sure if there are many populated places in the area where it’s snowing (I looked at a map and put in Schefferville, Quebec into my iPhone weather app and it showed that it was snowing and 36 there, though admittedly the iPhone app can be terrible with ptype). Their Wikipedia page does show a normal July snowfall of 0.1cm, so that would answer the question of whether or not it’s unprecedented.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

It certainly appears so. Not sure if there are many populated places in the area where it’s snowing (I looked at a map and put in Schefferville, Quebec into my iPhone weather app and it showed that it was snowing and 36 there, though admittedly the iPhone app can be terrible with ptype). Their Wikipedia page does show a normal July snowfall of 0.1cm, so that would answer the question of whether or not it’s unprecedented.

Certainly not a once in a lifetime thing then.  I never noticed it snowing up there in July but some summers I am not watching as much as this summer.

A weeks worth of sweet, sweet heat relief starting tomorrow. (Except on the Euro)

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Certainly not a once in a lifetime thing then.  I never noticed it snowing up there in July but some summers I am not watching as much as this summer.

A weeks worth of sweet, sweet heat relief starting tomorrow. (Except on the Euro)

I would imagine a 1981-2010 July average of 0.1cm (0.04”) would indicate that approximately an inch of snow fell in July in that period. Something tells me that was likely in one event, though it would stand to reason there could have been traces at other times.

36 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Do you live in a valley? Seems like you are often one of the warmest by day and coolest at night.

Yes I do, the Mahantango mountain is on the south side and eastern side too (because the mountain curves that way) on the north and west there are rolling  hills..  the mountain elevation is about 1100 ft. my elevation is 433ft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1