• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

26 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yes I do, the Mahantango mountain is on the south side and eastern side too (because the mountain curves that way) on the north and west there are rolling  hills..  the mountain elevation is about 1100 ft. my elevation is 433ft.

I'm going to venture a guess that you're closer to Pillow than Dalmatia?  I could study terrain maps for a lifetime and be content ha.  Feel free to shut me up if you think I'm giving away too much about your personal location haha.

54 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'm going to venture a guess that you're closer to Pillow than Dalmatia?  I could study terrain maps for a lifetime and be content ha.  Feel free to shut me up if you think I'm giving away too much about your personal location haha.

Yes, I do about 2 miles as the crow flies from  Pillow.. You must be familiar with this area.

7 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yes, I do about 2 miles as the crow flies from  Pillow.. You must be familiar with this area.

Eh loosely but not as much as other areas.  However, I do consider myself a bit of a PA geography buff.  The guys at work used to razz me because I could fill in all 67 counties on a blank map.  I will say that most of my family is from the Sunbury area but I've rarely traveled on your side of the river, although my Grandma's favorite spot for years was the Herndon House haha.  Is that still a thing?

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Eh loosely but not as much as other areas.  However, I do consider myself a bit of a PA geography buff.  The guys at work used to razz me because I could fill in all 67 counties on a blank map.  I will say that most of my family is from the Sunbury area but I've rarely traveled on your side of the river, although my Grandma's favorite spot for years was the Herndon House haha.  Is that still a thing?

It's still there but not what it was 30 years ago. That place was crowded on Friday and Saturday nights. Now it's just a shell of it's former self.

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I am envious of you every time you mention this.

10 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

It's still there but not what it was 30 years ago. That place was crowded on Friday and Saturday nights. Now it's just a shell of it's former self.

Yeah I believe it, sad what's become of so many of these small towns.  I will say Penns Tavern is a cool place, stopped there a time or two. 

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I post regularly on weather forums. Not sure there’s much to disqualify me from being a weirdo.

It used to be that knowing what the GFS and Euro were made us weirdo's but thanks to the internet and Weather Channel we now need to say things like SST, NAO, Gorilla in the Gulf or Greenland Block to make the club.  

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It used to be that knowing what the GFS and Euro were made us weirdo's but thanks to the internet and Weather Channel we now need to say things like SST, NAO, Gorilla in the Gulf or Greenland Block to make the club.  

Even then, the forecast discussions (which often contain technical terms and a glossary of such terms) are accessible to anyone in the general public who wants to look at them. But I can’t imagine a significant portion of the populace knows what an NWS area forecast discussion is.

23 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Even then, the forecast discussions (which often contain technical terms and a glossary of such terms) are accessible to anyone in the general public who wants to look at them. But I can’t imagine a significant portion of the populace knows what an NWS area forecast discussion is.

There are lots of people who profess to knowing it all.    Weather forecasting gets a bad rap. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

There are lots of people who profess to knowing it all.    Weather forecasting gets a bad rap. 

“You guys told me there would be severe weather yesterday so I cancelled all my plans for the entire day and didn’t see a single drop of rain. If I were that wrong about anything at my job I’d be fired!”

• Like 1