• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

What you thinking about time here.  Hard to gauge with how fast that line out front is firing up.  Thinking maybe try to be in a spot by 7ish?  Going to be great timing right at sunset.

I was thinking 630 I need to get ahead of it. Once it gets too windy I can't fly the drone. Also going to be busy everywhere along the water as its so nice out. Where is your go to spot?

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I was thinking 630 I need to get ahead of it. Once it gets too windy I can't fly the drone. Also going to be busy everywhere along the water as its so nice out. Where is your go to spot?

I usually do furhman Blvd from tift up to the coast guard station.  I need to pick my daughter up in hamburg between 6-7 so going to have to do this one on the fly.  If I can’t get back up route 5 in time I’ll have to hit Hamburg beach area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Speaking of the drone.  Nice spot on furhman Blvd where the old pier use to be.  Just a huge empty abandoned grass lot along the water.  

• Like 1

Picked up another 0.30" this afternoon, short lived but pretty intense, 0.18" fell in about 4 minutes.. Station didn't pick the rate up correctly..

We have had a good 4-5 tropical down pours in the past 24hours, 1.74" for the event so far..3k has a little more action overnight not that it's trust worthy lol

Screenshot_20210811-171321.png

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I usually do furhman Blvd from tift up to the coast guard station.  I need to pick my daughter up in hamburg between 6-7 so going to have to do this one on the fly.  If I can’t get back up route 5 in time I’ll have to hit Hamburg beach area. 

Hamburg beach is always super crowded at sunset, I try to find an abandon spot to focus.

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Hamburg beach is always super crowded at sunset, I try to find an abandon spot to focus.

Same… I hate being around people.  Certain areas of the outer harbor can be crowded but can always find an area with only a few people around especially once you get further down like Wilkinson Point 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I wonder whats in that hole in the middle of that storm

WUNIDS_map?num=6&type=N0Q&mapx=400&mapy=

Gust front on the main line is just going so fast it’s literally gobbling up the convention that blew up ahead of it.  Slowing down a bit now with that, looks like it’s going to do a little reorganizing.  I think I’m safe waiting till 7-730ish to get down to the water.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How do these guys really not know whats going to happen an hour out from a severe weather event. SMH

You know exactly why?  Do you know what’s going to happen in the next hour?  You have access to everything they do.  I had no idea. Highly complex mesoscale weather can beat the models in these scenarios. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

You know exactly why?  Do you know what’s going to happen in the next hour?  You have access to everything they do.  I had no idea. Highly complex mesoscale weather can beat the models in these scenarios. 

They go to school for 4-6 years and do this full time for their jobs. They know a lot more about what the atmosphere is doing then I do. Why put weather balloons into the air if the data sucks? 

I don’t even think it will rain here. This mornings storms were the ones to be up for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

They go to school for 4-6 years and do this full time for their jobs. They know a lot more about what the atmosphere is doing then I do. Why put weather balloons into the air if the data sucks? 

I don’t even think it will rain here. This mornings storms were the ones to be up for.

You underestimate what you know and overestimate what they can do in a nowcast scenario like this. Every mesoscale model had a wildly different output. 

• Thanks 1

Lake killed the storms.  Had very strong SW winds all afternoon despite the great daytime hearing setup.  Gusting to 40mph it really mixed and stabilized things over the eastern end of Lake Erie and WNY.  BUF only made it up to 86 with a max heat index of only 91 due to that breeze.  Crazy look at this morning it was 79 with 73 DP at 4am… FE4EA276-16A7-4323-8252-350E5873DAB1.thumb.jpeg.37b33c0439a471a983485be510e5b90f.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Thanks for the compliment. I was really excited about those storms, I didn't get a drop of rain. :lol:

Same, absolutely disgusting. This is the most miserable weather we get IMO. I’d rather live through three months of those cold, damp springs that everyone hates because they get in the way of our great early summers rather than put up the grueling, soupy misery we get every few years in July and/or August. I spent about ten minutes doing yard work yesterday morning and I had to take a second shower. My three year old cried when I suggested we play outdoors - she has respiratory problems and this weather makes outdoor activity a challenge for her. What’s worse, it’s so continuously humid that my central a/c unit is having trouble keeping up, and it feel sticky inside and outside. Absolutely cannot wait for this to break for good.

• Like 1