• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

40 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

We should start a petition to rename Syracuse to Sizzlercuse. Instead of being known for 10 feet of snow a year it can be known as Phoenix of the northeast. BTW, today is the 10th day with a maximum temperature of 90 or greater. 

Ha! Yeah, if the next few winters end up crappy like the past couple..and the following summers continue with these 20 day+ 90 degree days....

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Springville elevation is 1329' ;)

Yep! The wife insists the next move will not be within New York state though... lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Up to 97 at KSYR. 

I seriously wonder....for you guys who have lived here for longer, has it always been pretty easy for Syracuse to hit the 90s? It seems soooo simple. The temp is rarely in the mid to upper 80s...If that's forecasted, it almost always seems to heat up easily into the 90s. This rapid warming is insane.

• Like 2

One of the more sneaky heatwaves for the GTA. 

Wasn't a lot of discussion but all of a sudden its going to be 3 straight days above 30C (86F). Got up around 90F across most of the GTA today while Im up in Owen Sound/Tobermory and it never got above 70F at my construction site haha. Shows how close the cooler air. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I seriously wonder....for you guys who have lived here for longer, has it always been pretty easy for Syracuse to hit the 90s? It seems soooo simple. The temp is rarely in the mid to upper 80s...If that's forecasted, it almost always seems to heat up easily into the 90s. This rapid warming is insane.

Disappointing heat today.  The storms that passed just to my south really killed the Sizzle, knocking us back into the 80s despite no rain here.  And a chilly low of 71 forecasted?  How can I maintain 86 degree pool temp with that kind of coldness? I want Portland heat... Do better tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Disappointing heat today.  The storms that passed just to my south really killed the Sizzle, knocking us back into the 80s despite no rain here.  And a chilly low of 71 forecasted?  How can I maintain 86 degree pool temp with that kind of coldness? I want Portland heat... Do better tomorrow.

Don't be surprised to wake up tomorrow morning and find your pool full of ice cubes.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Speaking of Portland…sitting at 115 degrees currently.  Hard pass on that. 

• Like 2

This is the most impressive stat, this is equivalent to Buffalo hitting 109 as the highest its ever hit is 99. Insane

Quillayute,WA right on the coast is currently at 109F, a whopping 10F degrees above its all time highest temperature of 99F set on 9 August 1981. It's the 2nd hugest difference between an old and a new all time high (for long POR stations) anywhere in the world since 1983

• Like 1

353 pm | The Portland Airport has officially reached 115°F. Before setting the all-time record yesterday (112°F), and the day before that (108°F on Saturday), the previous all-time record high temperature was 107°F set on Aug 8th & 10th 1981 & July 30th 1965. #pdxtst #orwx #wawx https://t.co/CBNhD7lJb8

— NWS Portland (@NWSPortland) June 28, 2021

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Canada set its record high temp again today at 118. 
Florida has never recorded 110 degrees…

That's unreal.  Truly extreme weather event in the Pac NW. 81F already here in the Sizzleburbs.  

Checked the temps out west, looks like the heat wave will be broken today near the coast with coastal front bringing the AC and the heat low shifting NE.  Seattle to Portland in low 60s now. Eastern WA and OR will still be broiling though. Cliff Mass's blog has been informative on this evolution.

16 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Urban heat islands continue to grow each year, more parking lots, more buildings, and more places using AC (which likely has a small local impact).  When all the buildings are pumping heat outside, it eventually becomes tangible.  There is no city that has less pavement and more trees now than in years past.  Temps can only go up in these scenarios.  I'm quite convinced Buffalos higher temps are solely because of all the development in that area the past few years.  Also, climate change is the real deal...and certainly shows itself as warming more often than not.

• Like 5

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

Urban heat islands continue to grow each year, more parking lots, more buildings, and more places using AC (which likely has a small local impact).  When all the buildings are pumping heat outside, it eventually becomes tangible.  There is no city that has less pavement and more trees now than in years past.  Temps can only go up in these scenarios.  I'm quite convinced Buffalos higher temps are solely because of all the development in that area the past few years.  Also, climate change is the real deal...and certainly shows itself as warming more often than not.

I've always wondered about this and its contribution to global warming vs other causes. To me its just not smart to pack more people into an area that can support it without trucking in millions of pounds of food and supplies while trucking out the garbage. It's ironic to me that a majority of people pushing green initiatives live in large cities.

• Like 1

A sfc low tracking east across Quebec will drag a trailing cold
front southeast across the area late on Wednesday afternoon. Out
ahead of the front, moist, unstable air will provide for showers and
thunderstorms. A pre-frontal trough moving through the region from
west to east during the mid-morning into the early afternoon time
frame looks like the best timing for showers and thunderstorms.
Behind this pre-frontal trough and ahead of the cold front,
additional showers and storms will be possible, but it looks like
instability will be decrease behind the passing trough. SB CAPE
values through the early afternoon of 2,000+ J/kg are looking
possible for inland areas of the Western Southern Tier, and the
Northern Finger Lakes. For the rest of the area south of Lake
Ontario, CAPE values of around 1,000 J/kg are likely. With a WSW to
SW wind, areas downwind of both lakes can expect the typical lake
shadow, reducing the potential for showers/storms. Instability
combined with elevated shear values (especially the 0-6 km shear),
will provide for the chance for thunderstorms to develop with at
least a few causing gusty winds and small hail. Showers and
thunderstorms will also cause periods of heavier rain at times with
PWAT`s approaching 2.00". The entire area is under a Marginal Risk
for severe thunderstorms (from SPC), with a smaller area of the
Western Southern Tier and Northern Finger Lakes under a Slight Risk
for severe thunderstorms. There is a Marginal Risk for excessive
rainfall (from WPC) on Wednesday. Temperatures on Wednesday will be
in the low to mid 80s.

Any remaining showers and thunderstorms will taper off during the
early evening on Wednesday from northwest to southeast with the
passing cold front, and the reduction to diurnal heating. Some
timing differences among guidance still for the frontal passage and
strength, but all guidance indicates tapering off of shower activity
through the evening. Cooler air will start to infiltrate the area,
resulting in low temps in the upper 50s to mid 60s.