Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

26 minutes ago, Joshb32689 said:

West Chester must have just been/is being smacked right now?  

No one has anything to report?

I'm south of there, and so far it's been a pretty cool light show, with some huge ctc lightning, for the last hour plus. It's all scraping by just to the NW of here, hoping we can catch the tail end of it.

It has been non-stop lightning/thunder for the past 2 hours so finally came down to check the radar on the laptop and assumed there had been rain all that time and nope, the line hadn't even gotten here until now when I saw I had 0.25".  Now the front edge of the line has moved over my area and am getting almost 3"/hr rates.

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It has been non-stop lightning/thunder for the past 2 hours so finally came down to check the radar on the laptop and assumed there had been rain all that time and nope, the line hadn't even gotten here until now when I saw I had 0.25".  Now the the front edge of the line has moved over my area and am getting almost 3"/hr rates.

Getting badly needed rain is often like pulling teeth good to see you broke through 

Looks like Flourtown was reporting a water rescue. I think the heaviest is now pretty much past and currently have 3.42" in the bucket with 0.61"/hr rate.  Like a month's worth of rain in an hour.  Temp 75 with dp 74.  And with that, time to go back to bed.  The lightning/thunder has pretty much ended for now.

ETA - now at 3.45" and light rain at 2:30 am.

2021-08-19_2-07-43.png

• Like 1

Will have to say that however innocuous Fred was when it fell apart over Cuba and never made it to Hurricane status, it still packed a wet wallop once it regenerated itself!  Wasn't expecting that rain band line to hold together although we were certainly warm and juicy enough this far east to prime the pump...

Currently down to 73, which may end up being my low, and cloudy with dp 73

Picked up 1.6" last night, light show was tremendous though. We had some good booms from just after midnight until about 230 am. Needless to say didn't get much sleep between the tor warnings going off on my phone and flash flood warnings. Felt like the storm was on top of us for hours based on the lightning/thunder but it really only downpoured for 30 mins or so.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Picked up another 0.24" here yesterday/last night, bringing the monthly total to 0.96". Racking up the rainfall here, a quarter inch at a time! Nice breeze this morning!

Seems like you're in a relative screw zone with rainfall in SE PA. I'm over 5" on the month now with many places near me also above 4". Delaware county has been in a rain hole this month.

• Weenie 1

Here in Media Delaware County picked up 0.44" overnight.  we have 1.94" for the month of August so far.

As of 10:50 pm while I was passing by Chester Creek was pretty high to about banks at Middletown Twp.  Ridley Creek was at bank full at Media along Knowlton Road and Crum Creek was below bank full at Beatty Road in Springfield.  All creeks were moving pretty swiftly and all brown.

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Unless I missed it I don't think a tornado happened in KOP. Think NWS is looking at a possible tornado in Perkasie which was in the watch box...

The watch zone I saw didn't include Montco and Bucks unless it was expanded at game time. 

3" of H2O

Anyone else in South Philly? I feel like the rest of the region is well above average the last 6 weeks while we are consistently getting screwed over and over again by these storms. Like North Philly is above average for the month and we are approaching abnormally dry conditions. My concern is we will exit this wet pattern but with none of the buffer our neighbors have. Anyone know where I could get official numbers on past 24 hrs of rain in my area e.g. a resource with measurements from spotters nearby? Is there anything similar that looks at a longer timespan like weeks? Thanks

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, 21chuck said:

Anyone else in South Philly? I feel like the rest of the region is well above average the last 6 weeks while we are consistently getting screwed over and over again by these storms. Like North Philly is above average for the month and we are approaching abnormally dry conditions. My concern is we will exit this wet pattern but with none of the buffer our neighbors have. Anyone know where I could get official numbers on past 24 hrs of rain in my area e.g. a resource with measurements from spotters nearby? Is there anything similar that looks at a longer timespan like weeks? Thanks

Mt. Holly reports what is submitted via CoCoRaHS here - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXLCOPHI&wfo=phi

and any Local Storm Reports here (if/when people submit them) - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXLSRPHI&wfo=phi

and Public Information Statements here (if/when people are submitting them) - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXPNSPHI&wfo=phi

At the moment, the CoCoRaHS reports seem to be the most complete, although there are only a handful of Philly reports.

I recall last week the Phillies had rain delays on 2 consecutive evenings - 8/10 & 8/11 (one of my BIL's was at the first game).  Sometimes you guys get the northern fringe of the storms that come through northern MD and Wilmington, DE.  Whenever I have been running either of my doppler programs (GR2Analyst or GRLevel3), I don't recall seeing mpings or other spotter reports from down there though outside of the airport (KPHL), which is the official reading for down there too.

I attached a radar image (with 3 overlapping severe thunderstorm warnings) over S. Philly on 8/10 just after 8:30 pm & on the look on 8/11, about 7:50 pm.

radar49-08102021.png

radar25-08112021.png