• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

Besides Mt. Pocono only "Mt." East Nantmeal again escaped the 90 degree mark - high today only could top out at 89.2 (although the roof mounted station did hit 92.3)....of note today was the 3rd straight 90+ day at KMQS airport marking their 1st Heat Wave of the year!!....that said still zero heat waves this year at either KPTW Pottstown airport or East Nantmeal - PHL has now recorded their 5th heat wave of the season

Through yesterday even with our recent hot streak we are still running exactly 1.0 degrees below normal for August. This morning's low while the warmest of the month at only 70.5 - while well above our average low of 63.3 for today is still well below the warmest min temp for the day which was the 75.4 back in 2005

image.png.2d94837c5784a2626932c45c80ccaeda.png

5 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Through yesterday even with our recent hot streak we are still running exactly 1.0 degrees below normal for August. This morning's low while the warmest of the month at only 70.5 - while well above our average low of 63.3 for today is still well below the warmest min temp for the day which was the 75.4 back in 2005

image.png.2d94837c5784a2626932c45c80ccaeda.png

Interesting. I don't suppose you have dewpoint data?

83F at noon today, so much better than the last few days. Still humid as &%#£ with a DP of 72F

My forecasted high today is 88F, but with a good cloud deck overhead I hope to stay in the low to mid 80’s.

So glad the AC is still working, wasn’t sure if it would make it through yesterday…lol!

Wasn't sure if I would do it, but after a low of 73 this morning, I did tap 90 just before noon today (#30 of 90+ since May).  It's currently 89 and partly cloudy with dp bopping between 72 and 73.

SPC has our area in a "Marginal Risk" (but hope I can get a little rain in to top off after the past couple days of heat).

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Wasn't sure if I would do it, but after a low of 73 this morning, I did tap 90 just before noon today (#30 of 90+ since May).  It's currently 89 and partly cloudy with dp bopping between 72 and 73.

SPC has our area in a "Marginal Risk" (but hope I can get a little rain in to top off after the past couple days of heat).

30 - 90F degree days is the average for Philly so you'll probably reach above average. We'll most likely hit 90F several more times before we're through this year.

Looks like we'll end this heat wave in a anticlimactic sort of way. Radar is pretty much dead. Predicted low here is 63F so A/C will catch a break at sunset...

85F / DP 71F  

@MacChump Thank you for the Mt. Jo recommendation! Went at 7am yesterday and was one of the best views I've ever seen!

1637444327_MtJoHike.thumb.jpg.e21082457d1eb1693e6a0fb3e75862e2.jpg

On a weather related note, current temp is 86F. Very excited for tomorrow's lower temps and lower dew points too. Tired of the heat and can't wait until Autumn. Also, the tropics seem to be heating up. Maybe we'll get a storm to move up this way later towards fall?

• Like 2

Watched the radar as the front started moving through between 4 am - 5 am, although the returns evaporated, so didn't get any precip from it.  However saw the dp drop from ~71/72 down to the current 59, which is pretty dramatic.  Temp was in the low-mid 70s and did a corresponding drop with the front crossing, and is now down to 68 at post time, with a deck of clouds overhead.

I saw that further west of here in central/western PA, the current temps are in the mid-50s. :o

ETA (1 hour later) - I got chance to pop out to the back and saw the plant foliage had been wet and was drying, although whatever came through this morning was not enough to tip the bucket.  Still I'll take it.

The moisture is already returning.  High 84 here today the dewpoint got as low as 50.  Current dewpoint back up to 58 and winds switching around light to the east northeast.  On Water Vapor map you can see the moisture waiting in the wings south of DC out to the Ohio Valley all the way south to the Gulf Coast all of this is heading in this direction as an upper air low and trough digs down through Saint Louis.  We will have to track what becomes of Tropical Storm Fred's moisture field over the next few days as the flow is south-southwesterly.

So nice outside right now--I can't remember the last time we had such low humidity, but according to my weather station, the last time we saw any dewpoints under 60°F was ten days ago. Looking forward to working outdoors this week as well. Can we please be done with the Florida weather for this summer?

image.png.82630172c584933367edbd7cf3ab8762.png

• Weenie 1