Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

48 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Went to my S....some thunder and a shower with the sun out.

Stuff brewing to the W of Philly...

85F

Talk about needle threading.  That went to my north and the stuff to my south is hitting my Upper Darby sister pretty good.  There's another pop-up heading due east so will see if any of that holds together to give me a little something.  Temp has been knocked down to 82 in any case and dp got knocked down to 70 (at least for the moment).

• Like 1

The warned blob sortof rained itself out just as it was getting here and apparently found more stable air to run over, so I only got some light rain (am up to 0.04" total from the 2 hits today). But that has knocked the temp down again and I'm now at 77 with dp 72.  These have been moving pretty quickly and the sky has brightened to the west, with the sun back out again.  Doesn't look like anything imminent on radar either from the west or north at this point.

43 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

The storms over NYC have an awesome radar presentation. Kinda glad that missed us, if I'm honest. Check out the outflow boundary!

image.thumb.png.26f91a43b930823d85ae2a1c1e48d766.png

Still pushing that south so someone over here is gonna get a little blip of the cool air. :D

My temp has recovered to 82 now with a juicy 76 dp again, but I think I can safely call my high for the day as 94.

radar15-07062021.png

38 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Dammit.   Power knocked out.

Ooph. Been there and done that--it seemed my power would go out in Thorndale at the merest whiff of a breeze. It got to be so bad that I bought a genny and some seriously thick extension cords to run our fridge, freezer and a portable A/C (fridge needed to be run for insulin, and my mother-in-law would melt if we didn't have A/C). How many apartment dwellers do you know that need to keep a spare backup generator on hand! Anyway, after the disastrous outages of the summer of 2016, we only ended up using it one time; the power was out for just long enough for me to set everything up and run the extension cords. Oh well, better to have and not need then to need and not have, and all that.

Anyway, hope it comes back on soon for you, or at least before tomorrow's heat. This is what, the 3rd or 4th heat wave this year? I've lost count and it's only the first week of July, sheesh.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

So that big complex that has been dropping down from NY seemed to develop some blips that are rocking and rolling me more than anything today. :o

Temp is 80 and having a thunderbumper with all kinds of lightning. As I type this, the Warning is just being issued.

radar22-07062021.png

lightning-1028pm-07062021.PNG

Yeah we could see lightning and a good bit of it off to the NE , so looked at the radar, probably right around that time. That one just kind of popped up, and had another pop up right behind it. Good luck with your power!

Power came back about 12:40 am (thankfully) but now have to get my weewx back up. I have all the stuff on UPSes but have also been in the middle of re-configuring my home network so... :lol:

With all the sound and fury I was still side-swiped by the heaviest rain (will need to check the stratus to confirm either way). Currently clear and 72 with dp pretty much the same meaning steamy window alert.

Missed out on yesterday's action, but I did hear thunder from the storm that k/o Agnes's power as it passed to my south. Awesome sky last night seeing all that lightning in the distance from the storms in NJ. When I was a youngin', the old folks called it "heat lightning". :oldman:

77F/DP 73F

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Missed out on yesterday's action, but I did hear thunder from the storm that k/o Agnes's power as it passed to my south. Awesome sky last night seeing all that lightning in the distance from the storms in NJ. When I was a youngin', the old folks called it "heat lightning". :oldman:

77F/DP 73F

That was more fireworks than the 4th or even from the little blobs that fringed me earlier in the day.  I was already in bed when it started so came down to see what the heck was going on and it was somewhat associated with that complex with the cool-looking outflow boundary that we were watching drop down from NY. It knocked out power here in Chestnut Hill and over in Wyndmoor (and I expect Wyncote and vicinity too).  PECO's initial restoration estimate was 1 am, but then just as they were bringing it back up, they had sent out an estimate of 4:15 am, so I'm glad they got it up and running here by the original estimated time.  But I have been having internet issues since as it started degrading this morning and then died (am posting from my cell hotspot at the moment).

And with all that rock and rolling I only got 0.24" of rain from it. :huh:

Current temp is now 89 (after it briefly touched 90) with dp 76 and it is pretty disgusting out there right now.