• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

Got a little thunder, rain, and some breezes, overall not much but it did cool off a bit. The lead up to it was the most impressive.

I'm not much of a photographer, but I've been trying to get a video of lightning bugs since they've been out in force here, pretty darn nice to watch. So this is what I got right before the bit of rain, not as many out as once it gets dark, but hopefully you can see the early crowd doing their thing (it's about 17 seconds long then loops):

63021lbgif3.thumb.gif.82f6e64cc7914d67ea15084782823026.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Got a little thunder, rain, and some breezes, overall not much but it did cool off a bit. The lead up to it was the most impressive.

I'm not much of a photographer, but I've been trying to get a video of lightning bugs since they've been out in force here, pretty darn nice to watch. So this is what I got right before the bit of rain, not as many out as once it gets dark, but hopefully you can see the early crowd doing their thing (it's about 17 seconds long then loops):

63021lbgif3.thumb.gif.82f6e64cc7914d67ea15084782823026.gif

Pretty cool. They are plentiful right now. Waiting to hear some katydids...

72F / DP 72F

• Thanks 1

Loooong way out, and tropical systems are notorious for forecast changes, but we have the first real threat to the US with Elsa that just formed. If it can make it through the Caribbean without getting shredded, I wouldn't put our area at 0% chance of impact. Will be interesting to watch this evolve

05L_geps_latest.png

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Got down to 71F overnight. Of course my DP is 71F , so there's that. Anyway...

Happy July 1:

Katydids and cicadas emerge

Daylight begins to decrease

NFL training camps open

83 days until fall!

Actually heard a cicada yesterday (annual variety I'm sure). For those who've been having the Brood X, have they wound down?

2 hours ago, Newman said:

Loooong way out, and tropical systems are notorious for forecast changes, but we have the first real threat to the US with Elsa that just formed. If it can make it through the Caribbean without getting shredded, I wouldn't put our area at 0% chance of impact. Will be interesting to watch this evolve

05L_geps_latest.png

Was looking at Levi Cowan's last video before what would be Elsa became a TS and he was noting that the sheer was actually lower than normal this early in the season, so that gives it a better chance to stay alive, assuming it doesn't shift and run across the islands, and then that would tear it apart as a weak TS.

Hope he can get an updated one up soon!

My high this earlier morning was 86 before the cloud cover took over and dropped the temps.  Currently 83 with dp 71 and some incoming.  Hopefully what looks like a possible 1st round won't fizzle like last night's little attempt.

radar16-07012021.png

21 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

My high this earlier morning was 86 before the cloud cover took over and dropped the temps.  Currently 83 with dp 71 and some incoming.  Hopefully what looks like a possible 1st round won't fizzle like last night's little attempt.

Quite a difference over a relatively short distance, only make it to 78F here. Light rain has moved in.

6 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

^^^My guess is it will hold together, actually seemed to get a little beefier as it passed through here. Picked up a quick .20", with a little more incoming it looks like. Currently 77F, dp 69. Steamy!

I finally got a little measurable! 0.05" (so far).  Me take.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Quite a difference over a relatively short distance, only make it to 78F here. Light rain has moved in.

I'm now down to 78 (dp 72) with the rain but hit the 86 at 10:50 am according to my station data.  I know there is a FF Watch up so whatever heavier stuff comes later this afternoon and supposedly into tomorrow, will cool the asphalt streets and brick/stone buildings! 

SPC just lofted Severe Thunderstorm Watches -

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 331
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1240 PM EDT THU JUL 1 2021

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 331 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC017-029-045-091-101-020000-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0331.210701T1640Z-210702T0000Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BUCKS                CHESTER             DELAWARE
MONTGOMERY           PHILADELPHIA
$$

NJC001-005-007-009-011-015-021-023-025-029-033-020000-

NJ
.    NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC             BURLINGTON          CAMDEN
CAPE MAY             CUMBERLAND          GLOUCESTER
MERCER               MIDDLESEX           MONMOUTH
OCEAN                SALEM
$$

DEC001-003-005-020000-

DE
.    DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

KENT                 NEW CASTLE          SUSSEX
$$

Current temp here is down to 77 with dp 73, and I have picked up 0.11" rain so far from the initial little round.

20210701-nws-severethunderstormwatch-flashfoodwatch-phi-severethunderstormwarning-severethunderwtormwatch-flashfloodwatch-phiarea.PNG

Drove through that really big line on the turnpike heading west. It got dark enough to where I had to take off my sunglasses and then it absolutely DUMPED. Traffic slowed to a crawl, of course, but I made it through unscathed. That was fun.

Got home and measured .64" in the back yard meter. Yay, free skywater!

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The heaviest part of the line is past and just getting moderate rain at the moment. Currently at 1.01" on the nose total for the day (0.90" from this round 2).  Temp is down to 71 with dp 70, so steamy window alert is up. :D

Looks like a TOR is up for Bucks...

radar30-07012021.png

Glenn on air/at the board going nuts w/the radar graphics/tornado stuff for the past 10 minutes....