• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WeatherQuadCore
    Newest Member
    WeatherQuadCore
2021 Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

yoda

when i was a kid, salmon came in cans and my mom would make patties and fry it up. I hated them, but i did love the crispy salmon cake crust.I use Nick Stellino's method for pan frying salmon to get a crisp crust on the salmon itself, which takes me back to the good part of those childhood salmon cakes. i served it with with lemon-zested rice, and sauteed squash and onions.

crispy salmon 1.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, wxtrix said:

when i was a kid, salmon came in cans and my mom would make patties and fry it up. I hated them, but i did love the crispy salmon cake crust.I use Nick Stellino's method for pan frying salmon to get a crisp crust on the salmon itself, which takes me back to the good part of those childhood salmon cakes. i served it with with lemon-zested rice, and sauteed squash and onions.

crispy salmon 1.jpg

Me Too!  Nothing like a salmon cake made in a cast iron frying pan. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

So last night had a trio of goodness. Oven Baked Spicy BBQ Chicken Quarters with Alabama white sauce for dipping with corn pudding and Brussels sprouts salad. 

It all looks amazing (as usual), but that corn pudding looks particularly tasty....haven't had that for many years, and it was a staple growing up in northern PA! Is your Brussels sprouts salad a cold or hot presentation? Regardless, I suspect @wxtrix would like that sprouts salad a whole lot...  :) 

15 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

It all looks amazing (as usual), but that corn pudding looks particularly tasty....haven't had that for many years, and it was a staple growing up in northern PA! Is your Brussels sprouts salad a cold or hot presentation? Regardless, I suspect @wxtrix would like that sprouts salad a whole lot...  :) 

i would like the recipe for sure!  I actually hate almost every vegetable, but i'm married to someone who loves them, so i cook them in all kinds of ways and he's the happy recipient.

now that I'm vaccinated and it's safer for me to shop in person, i'm going to make this again--Pati Jinich's mango, tomato, tomatillo, basil and jalapeno salad (after being dressed with the red onion/jalapeno vinaigrette):

recipe:  https://patijinich.com/mango-tomato-tomatillo-basil-and-jalapeno-salad/

pati salad 3.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

It is served at room temp. And have never had corn pudding but as it has no flour only corn starch in it, it is gluten free friendly. 

3 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i would like the recipe for sure!  I actually hate almost every vegetable, but i'm married to someone who loves them, so i cook them in all kinds of ways and he's the happy recipient.

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad

And that salad looks very yummy!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wxtrix said:

now that I'm vaccinated and it's safer for me to shop in person, i'm going to make this again--Pati Jinich's mango, tomato, tomatillo, basil and jalapeno salad (after being dressed with the red onion/jalapeno vinaigrette):

recipe:  https://patijinich.com/mango-tomato-tomatillo-basil-and-jalapeno-salad/

WOW, this looks incredible....and TY for linking to the recipe, totally trying this!  :D 

I completely forgot to post this magic of a dinner my wife and I had last Friday for our date night. Better late than never. Anyway, the dining experience was something I couldn’t have dreamed of. They rolled out the red carpet at Bob’s Steak & Chophouse. World class all the way.

33aae780429e4eef813497986b42cd2e.jpg

First course was a Lobster Bisque for myself which was smooth as velvet with huge chunks of lobster in the middle. Fresh cracked pepper was done on top which brought the dish together and added a touch of spice. It was the perfect pairing with my German Riesling that was Devine and had a nice sweet finish to counter the salt and richness of the bisque.

65901d18c2e703869052abd5ce8deeae.jpg

Wife had the crab cake and a homemade remoulade which was def a top tier crab cake as the filling was minimal and reminded me of home on the bite I had. She enjoyed it thoroughly.

aea1f3318de25fa0318de4978743b632.jpg

Dinner for my wife was based in perfection with the essence of cooking only seen in the top tier places in the country. A beautiful 8oz Wagyu Filet Medium-Rare served with skillet potatoes and a peppercorn onion gravy, along with a giant glazed carrot that I think I fell in love with by accident. The meat was from Snake River Farms, a world class cattle ranch in the US that supplies top tier American Wagyu. Exquisite, especially my wife on her first bite had an out of body experience for a second haha

2d5fffb02f16609e0f3db61afa02a646.jpg

My dinner was a king feast of prime 32oz Tomahawk style ribeye that was both appealing to the eyes, as well as my taste buds. Medium-rare perfection with rendered fat all the way through, creating a majestic dining experience that truly made me feel like a royal engorging on a premium delicacy. Butter basted on the finish with salt and pepper as seasoning. The cow did not die in vain.

7fea2b42aa3c0ff2aa86a4052e3a0f8f.jpg

This part was mostly my wife since my stomach was still processing the bovine I just consumed, but the bites I had pretty much took me to a paradise of sweet. A Banana Rum Bread pudding with a caramel cream sauce, topped with French Vanilla bean ice cream. You ever just take a bite of something so good, you stop eating for a second to revel in the presence of a true palatable bliss? This was that moment. Dessert is ruined for me thanks to this. I probably heard a chorus of angels in the background upon review, but it was probably the soft ambient music of the dining room. No matter, this was the brilliance of everything brought together to round out a spectacular meal. But....there’s one more thing to share. For our spirit enthusiasts....

f3976264b69b4c047e296d7e469ba107.jpg

A night cap of Eagle Rare Reserve 10 Year on the rocks. Smooth and a lovely bite on the backend to give you that true whiskey experience to pull the palate forward and launch your taste buds into the throes of bliss. I can’t express to you how wonderful this finish was to a truly fantastic meal. If you are EVER in the DFW area, this is the spot for something special, other worldly in terms of dining elegance, and a true treat that will make you wonder, “Where the hell has this been all my life?” From service to food to management rolling out the red carpet for a an experience like no other, Bob’s is the way to go!!

• Like 13

Recording these for the crafty brew lovers out there. Grabbed each of these in a four-pack on a Costco run last week.

I was really looking forward to trying the Old Bust Head stout and it was...interesting. And not in a necessarily good way. I think there's a little too much going on for me to truly fall in love with it -- for my taste buds, I'd keep either the caramel macchiato OR the orange vanilla in the stout presentation, but probably NOT mash all four together. I'll "hate-drink" the last three cans of it, but won't buy again. (BTW, this impression does not apply generally to OBH's stouts -- we've had several from there in recent years and they are generally top notch.)

The Adroit Theory hazy IPA was perfection, as their IPAs usually are -- phenomenally good. Perhaps I'll hide the rest of the Adroit Theory's and let Mrs. V work on the rest of those Old Bust Head stouts.. :D  While it's not necessarily convenient for all in the sub, if you have the chance to visit the mothership locations for OBH (in Vint Hill) or Adroit Theory (in Purcellville), I strongly recommend that you do -- each brewery keeps an outstanding selection of fresh/interesting taps at all times.

PXL_20210502_000928571.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.ff349a7fcd26e8795f7fdeaa9e2f2e24.jpgPXL_20210502_210958371.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.24de8c6b0325654cb77635caf5fab94e.jpg 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Recording these for the crafty brew lovers out there. Grabbed each of these in a four-pack on a Costco run last week.

I was really looking forward to trying the Old Bust Head stout and it was...interesting. And not in a necessarily good way. I think there's a little too much going on for me to truly fall in love with it -- for my taste buds, I'd keep either the caramel macchiato OR the orange vanilla in the stout presentation, but probably NOT mash all four together. I'll "hate-drink" the last three cans of it, but won't buy again. (BTW, this impression does not apply generally to OBH's stouts -- we've had several from there in recent years and they are generally top notch.)

The Adroit Theory hazy IPA was perfection, as their IPAs usually are -- phenomenally good. Perhaps I'll hide the rest of the Adroit Theory's and let Mrs. V work on the rest of those Old Bust Head stouts.. :D  While it's not necessarily convenient for all in the sub, if you have the chance to visit the mothership locations for OBH (in Vint Hill) or Adroit Theory (in Purcellville), I strongly recommend that you do -- each brewery keeps an outstanding selection of fresh/interesting taps at all times.

PXL_20210502_000928571.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.ff349a7fcd26e8795f7fdeaa9e2f2e24.jpgPXL_20210502_210958371.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.24de8c6b0325654cb77635caf5fab94e.jpg 

they make drains for a reason, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Hmmm..I know you said it wasnt very good but Id love to try that stout...what was the ABV?  If it wasnt that good, my guess is it probably has relatively low ABV...maybe under 8%? They probably need to up the adjjuncts and booze for the flavors to really hit. Let me know what the ABV is if you remember

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with putting orange in a stout. NTY.

The flavor combos are defintely weird but I looked it up...the problem with the beer is its only 5.6%. IMO you just cant create a flavorful complex stout with that low of ABV...its basically a weird tasting irish stout lol. Have to have it be an imperial at or over 10% or at least barrel age it to bring out the flavors and complexity

5 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

The flavor combos are defintely weird but I looked it up...the problem with the beer is its only 5.6%. IMO you just cant create a flavorful complex stout with that low of ABV...its basically a weird tasting irish stout lol. Have to have it be an imperial at or over 10% or at least barrel age it to bring out the flavors and complexity

Yeah I simply wont bother with a stout that is under 8% generally. Its gotta be BIG- high abv and roasty/malty. Not at all a milk stout fan, other than the rare imperial ones.

• Like 2

Had this awesomeness yesterday. Ocelot really kills it. Also—side note—if anyone is on the app Untappd and is interested, they can read all my beer reviews (over 4100 now). Friend request me “scraff” (imagine that) lol. Cheers!

01D44E3D-B668-4AE7-9754-F43D9D32C2C2.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I simply wont bother with a stout that is under 8% generally. Its gotta be BIG- high abv and roasty/malty. Not at all a milk stout fan, other than the rare imperial ones.

I generally agree. Im not saying you cant make a decent stout with low ABV, but you gotta keep it simple...Theres a few peanut butter stouts out there that are decent that are under 7% ABV but its just peanut butter stout, simple. But I agree, generally the higher the abv the better, and that one you are drinking now, does look tasty

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I generally agree. Im not saying you cant make a decent stout with low ABV, but you gotta keep it simple...Theres a few peanut butter stouts out there that are decent that are under 7% ABV but its just peanut butter stout, simple. But I agree, generally the higher the abv the better, and that one you are drinking now, does look tasty

It went down easy and fast. Very good. 3 more to go, lol. Not tonight. I will buy this again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It went down easy and fast. Very good. 3 more to go, lol. Not tonight. I will buy this again.

Ill have to look out for it....Theres so much damn product to chose from now though lol. Its pretty wild

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Ill have to look out for it....Theres so much damn product to chose from now though lol. Its pretty wild

Did you manage to stop at DFH when you were at the beach? The bourbon barrel aged WWS is second to none imo. I would take it every time over GI BCBS and many other similar BBA stouts.

Looking forward to the Utopias version this Fall.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Did you manage to stop at DFH when you were at the beach? The bourbon barrel aged WWS is second to none imo. I would take it every time over GI BCBS and many other similar BBA stouts.

Looking forward to the Utopias version this Fall.

Nah. just not enough time in the weekend lol not to mention I was either feeling hungover Saturday or some vaccine shot effects. Ill be down several times this summer though so ill make an effort to get up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Hmmm..I know you said it wasnt very good but Id love to try that stout...what was the ABV?  If it wasnt that good, my guess is it probably has relatively low ABV...maybe under 8%? They probably need to up the adjjuncts and booze for the flavors to really hit. Let me know what the ABV is if you remember

You're way ahead of me, and spot-on guess in advance...5.7% ABV. And I like your proposition to improve this blend.  :) 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with putting orange in a stout. NTY.

I would generally agree with you, although that didn't temper my excitement to try this. Again, it was sort of like a trippy flavor rave going on inside my mouth. Not horrible....not great. First time I tried a beer in many years that made me screw my face up once upon that first sip!

2 hours ago, Scraff said:

Had this awesomeness yesterday. Ocelot really kills it. Also—side note—if anyone is on the app Untappd and is interested, they can read all my beer reviews (over 4100 now). Friend request me “scraff” (imagine that) lol. Cheers!

Agree 500% -- Ocelot is always effing amazing! We visited their mothership location a couple weeks ago, always great stuff.

• Like 2