joxey
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

On 1/20/2024 at 6:33 AM, Birds~69 said:

Flyers 5 straight, Col today

Sixers 4 straight., Char tonight

Lock of the year. 7 point tease: Balt -2, SF -2.5  

lock.jpg

Good call.on the teaser. I just saw this. I went heavy on the Lions. Was sweating for a bit but nice win. Fans deserve it. Put some of the house $ on Bills. Had an uneasy feeling going in but the ml looked too easy to take KC so went opposite. Still ended in the green so no complaints. Feel bad for those fans lol. "Missed wide right" needs to be their new motto. 

Really like Baltimore next week and I think Detroit's run may be over. Paper says #1 vs #1 in SB but who the heck knows. Lions may end up as the Cinderella team of destiny. 

47 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Good call.on the teaser. I just saw this. I went heavy on the Lions. Was sweating for a bit but nice win. Fans deserve it. Put some of the house $ on Bills. Had an uneasy feeling going in but the ml looked too easy to take KC so went opposite. Still ended in the green so no complaints. Feel bad for those fans lol. "Missed wide right" needs to be their new motto. 

Really like Baltimore next week and I think Detroit's run may be over. Paper says #1 vs #1 in SB but who the heck knows. Lions may end up as the Cinderella team of destiny. 

Had the 7 point teaser yesterday as well but didn't post. Give KC 7 more, pull Detroit down.

Yeah I'm on the Detroit train as well... 

8 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Ray Finkel laces out!

On 1/17/2024 at 7:18 AM, JTA66 said:

Shhh…with goaltending too

This didn’t age well :lol:

I won’t go so far as to say I’m glad the Flyers hit this skid, but I was getting worried they might to something stupid at the trade deadline. I hope there’s no doubt now they need to be sellers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Yeah. Pressure got to them.

Coach didn't help by going for it twice on 4th down instead of kicking for points.  

Especially when you're up by 17 (at that point), and on the road. At least attempt a 3 because if you fail on 4th it gives the the opposing team (Niners) great momentum...which it did.

• Like 1

It's as if the Lions went into the locker room at halftime and suddenly remembered they were the Lions. I felt bad for all the fans watching at Ford Field. That must have been such a party at halftime, and then... 

On 1/27/2024 at 7:07 PM, JTA66 said:

This didn’t age well :lol:

I won’t go so far as to say I’m glad the Flyers hit this skid, but I was getting worried they might to something stupid at the trade deadline. I hope there’s no doubt now they need to be sellers.

And more....what is up (possibly) w/these players?

Play sports, make millions and stay out of trouble then retire. Simple.

Flyers' Carter Hart among 4 NHL players charged in 2018 sex assault case: Lawyers

https://6abc.com/carter-hart-news-philadelphia-flyers-canada-2018-sex-assault-case-world-junior-team/14373199/

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

And more....what is up (possibly) w/these players?

Play sports, make millions and stay out of trouble then retire. Simple.

Flyers' Carter Hart among 4 NHL players charged in 2018 sex assault case: Lawyers

https://6abc.com/carter-hart-news-philadelphia-flyers-canada-2018-sex-assault-case-world-junior-team/14373199/

Entitled!

• Weenie 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:18 PM, JTA66 said:

I haven’t been paying attention but sounds like KYW is back with AccuWx? I heard Joe Lundberg today.

Yeah I noticed that a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure when they returned to KYW.

Birds season opener is in Brazil (Friday game) and the Phils have a 2 game series w/the Mets in London/June. Our home teams are not playing at home as much (WTF?)....screws Met fans as well.

Fox29 had a break down of what it will cost a Birds fan to go to Brazil for the game....easily over 2K (ticket, airfare, hotel etc) 

8 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

HOLY CRAP. I tried to change my email address in my profile from my old .edu to my current gmail and it wouldn't let me log in again. JUST now got my access back.

Soo... what'd I miss?

The greatest pattern change bust of all time

• Haha 1

LOL I just saw this trailer this morning -

The trailer scenes almost look like a remake of the original "Twister" but I think this is supposed to be a sequel.

Hard to believe it's been almost 30 years.  I have the original on laserdisc and used to use it as one of my "demo" films for my early Dolby Digital 5.1 home theater back then (complete with subwoofer).

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 7:51 AM, Hurricane Agnes said:

LOL I just saw this trailer this morning -

The trailer scenes almost look like a remake of the original "Twister" but I think this is supposed to be a sequel.

Hard to believe it's been almost 30 years.  I have the original on laserdisc and used to use it as one of my "demo" films for my early Dolby Digital 5.1 home theater back then (complete with subwoofer).

I was obsessed with the original when I was 10 - went to see it in the theater at least three times and then burned through a VHS copy.  A big reason I got into tornadoes and weather was because of that movie.

Obviously the science doesn't hold up at all, and I imagine this sequel won't be any better in that regard, but it's a trip.

1 hour ago, jwilson said:

I was obsessed with the original when I was 10 - went to see it in the theater at least three times and then burned through a VHS copy.  A big reason I got into tornadoes and weather was because of that movie.

Obviously the science doesn't hold up at all, and I imagine this sequel won't be any better in that regard, but it's a trip.

I'm old, that's how I felt about The Wizard of Oz as a kid :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jwilson said:

I got into them thanks to a book that I ordered with the monthly book order thing they did while I was in middle school!  :lol:

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I'm old, that's how I felt about The Wizard of Oz as a kid :lol:

My mom was 9 when that came out and she said her generation was enamored by the fact that half the film was "in color".  Hell many of us grew up with TV shows that had the opening of "in color" on the screen to let you know that the show was actually "in color" (if you even had a color TV). :thumbsup:

916e099UOkL.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was going to post this on the obs thread but since I went off on such a huge tangent, I figured it would be better to post here.

Some beautiful asperitus clouds today in my neck of the woods today. Sadly I did not think to capture pics. (I will forever refer to them as Undulatus Asperitus.)

Regarding flooding... I've lived here for 3.5 years, and before last July's eleven inches of rain in three days, we'd get a hard rain, and the dry sump well in my house would remain bone dry throughout. There wasn't even a sump installed when we bought it! It was literally just a 2' deep pit in my basement with gravel at the bottom. Even during the 5" we received when the Skook flooded in August of '21 it remained dry. Now though, anything over an inch of precip, and my basement would flood if I hadn't installed a pump last year (and the battery backup pump).

What I don't yet understand (totally expected, given my rather poor understanding of hydrogeology, despite majoring in geoscience) is how my local subterranean hydro has changed so much just from one event. I live almost on top of a low rise, in an albeit, well-developed suburb. Now that I think of it, the local "water authority" (yes, they call themselves that--the regular "municipal authority" has actually taken pains to explain how the two are separate--gotta love local politics) has been severely mismanaged, and has only recently been taken to task for overall poor maintenance of the supply system, shifting blame of stormwater handling to the municipality.

Long story short, we've had at least three water main breaks here in the past several years, the last one occurring during that July flooding event. The water authority blamed the municipality for poor maintenance of the drainage system, which caused excessive erosion which knocked out the water main. But the mains are ~100 years old, and proper maintenance might have prevented the break despite the flooding/erosion. And there's also the question of millions of dollars in some kind of literal "rainy-day fund" that the water authority had just been kind of sitting on?

The whole thing smacks of corruption at the local level, and finally last year, with the threat of dissolution BY the municipality, the water authority was forced to take on members of our local council on their board. There've been no water main breaks since, and I've seen more local maintenance occurring in the area, so... yay?

But all of that still doesn't explain why my (nearly) hilltop basement wants to flood now with anything nearing an inch of rain when it's been bone dry for the majority of the past 3.5 years. (And for the ~30 years prior, as there was absolutely zero evidence of any kind of flooding or dampness in the unfinished basement when we bought the house in 2020.)

Groundwater flow continues to mystify.

As an aside, can you believe at least two families before ours owned this house with a completely unfinished basement and did absolutely nothing at all with it??? The mind boggles. That's prime woodshop territory! It also now includes a walled-off pantry, a seedling nursery area, and walled-off storage area for all of the regular house stuff. I just refuse to accept that my "hilltop" basement could simply flood at any moment, but here we are.

• Weenie 1