Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

On 3/3/2023 at 6:29 AM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Now they are going the route of the 76ers they announced...blowing the team up, rebuild, and "the process". They haven't been relevant since 2010, havent they been rebuilding since then? 

Sad thing is they aren't doing the process. They don't have their own 2nd and 3rd round picks this year. They still have so many old aging players that are negative value players. The smart thing would be to trade everyone over 25 but they aren't doing that. Fletcher and everyone in that front office has needed firing for 2 years now. They are stuck in mediocre purgatory. Not good enough to be a playoff team, but not bad enough to land one of the top 3 prospects in the draft. And when they do land a top 3 pick, they pick Nolan Patrick over Cale Makar. I was a season ticket holder from 08 until last year. This year I can count the amount of full games I've watched on one hand. It's the worst run organization in sports. 

Chuck's gone! Hopefully it's just a start. This team's issues are far deeper than just a GM change.

Danny Briere is the new interim GM of the @NHLFlyers as Chuck Fletcher has been fired. I’m told an even bigger change is coming at season’s end as the franchise looks to fill “several roles.”
This could well mean a retirement of key individuals at the top. First: @giana_jade

— Anthony SanFilippo (@AntSanPhilly) March 10, 2023

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Chuck's gone! Hopefully it's just a start. This team's issues are far deeper than just a GM change.

Danny Briere is the new interim GM of the @NHLFlyers as Chuck Fletcher has been fired. I’m told an even bigger change is coming at season’s end as the franchise looks to fill “several roles.”
This could well mean a retirement of key individuals at the top. First: @giana_jade

— Anthony SanFilippo (@AntSanPhilly) March 10, 2023

Yup it's a start. When they announce Flahr, Lombardi, Clarke, Barber, and Holmgren are gone with Chuck, I'll actually start to get a little excitement. Until then, this is just them bringing in another "lovable alumni" to placate the fanbase while nothing really changes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Just got an email from Comcast they they no longer offer the NFL Network or Red Zone. I’m sure they’ll lower my rates accordingly.

One of these days I will get around to cutting the cord. 

Sounds like a "I'll put it on the list" type of thing.

I cut the cord 2-3 years ago and don't miss it one bit. Over half the channels are boring or Spanish speaking or just utter crap.

I watch the local channels (and you get many more) through digital antenna. Besides the local/national news I watch sports 90% of the time where you can find streaming on the net then chromecast/DVI to the TV and you're fine. Regular TV shows (or anything) a torrent will be posted, download it, and watch the next day.   

*Sixers take first game w/o Embiid

**Harper back in the lineup

***Still pinching myself over the Birds draft 

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Sounds like a "I'll put it on the list" type of thing.

I cut the cord 2-3 years ago and don't miss it one bit. Over half the channels are boring or Spanish speaking or just utter crap.

I watch the local channels (and you get many more) through digital antenna. Besides the local/national news I watch sports 90% of the time where you can find streaming on the net then chromecast/DVI to the TV and you're fine. Regular TV shows (or anything) a torrent will be posted, download it, and watch the next day.   

*Sixers take first game w/o Embiid

**Harper back in the lineup

***Still pinching myself over the Birds draft 

For every two or three things I knock off my list, five or six more get added.

It's back on this morning. Guess the billionaires are done squabbling over a few pennies and have agree on a price increase to pass on to me.

And yet somehow growing up I managed to get by on just channels 3, 6 , 10, 12, 17, 29 and 48.

26 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

For every two or three things I knock off my list, five or six more get added.

It's back on this morning. Guess the billionaires are done squabbling over a few pennies and have agree on a price increase to pass on to me.

And yet somehow growing up I managed to get by on just channels 3, 6 , 10, 12, 17, 29 and 48.

Same.

And one Christmas I was super pumped to receive a 12" B and W w/no remote to put in my bedroom. Life was good... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

No cable since 2018 adios ripoff cable companies.

And I had that same b&w tv that got some bizzare squiggly line channels..

It was a Zenith which was a solid brand back in the day. Any reception problems, smack the top then things are fine and life could carry on.... 

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

It was a Zenith which was a solid brand back in the day. Any reception problems, smack the top then things are fine and life could carry on.... 

Yeah smacked the crap out of that tv those old vacuum tubes were sturdy try that with your flat screen. After a couple years upgraded to a Sony color! Yeah man that was space age living, until the picture shrunk to one y line axis. You only got so many smack fixes for that :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Yeah smacked the crap out of that tv those old vacuum tubes were sturdy try that with your flat screen. After a couple years upgraded to a Sony color! Yeah man that was space age living, until the picture shrunk to one y line axis. You only got so many smack fixes for that :(

Pretty sure it was my last "big" 12" TV hearing/viewing MNF when Lennon was shot....Cosell. 

• Sad 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:52 PM, Birds~69 said:

Pretty sure it was my last "big" 12" TV hearing/viewing MNF when Lennon was shot....Cosell. 

I was a sophomore in college when that happened and I had my B&W Zenith portable in the dorm. At home we also had a 12" Panasonic portable B&W but there was the one 19" Zenith color in the living room.  That one had been a replacement for an old RCA color console from the late '60s. I think in '84 my mom finally got a Zenith with a remote, so no longer had to respond to barked commands of "Turn to 6...", "Change to 3...", "No go back to 6!" :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Trying to remember when Hart Hanks cable arrived to plug us into space age video, 1983?

:oldman:

Think it was 1981 for me? (Comcast) "Stripes" and "Airplane? were on "Showtime" and "Prism"..."looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Think it was 1981 for me? (Comcast) "Stripes" and "Airplane? were on "Showtime" and "Prism"..."looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Hart Hanks became Comcast? Yeah could have been 82. Those in the southern reaches got the cable line strung first in 80&81

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Hart Hanks became Comcast? Yeah could have been 82. Those in the southern reaches got the cable line strung first in 80&81

Quite honestly I don't remember? :oldman:

My Dad wanted Prism because the Phils games were televised.

We had one of these wired things where he would trip on the cord constantly probably after a few...

comcast.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, Birds~69 said:

We had Prism to watch the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers. My one buddy had HBO and we would wach all the "premier" movies at his house. 

39 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

We had Prism to watch the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers. My one buddy had HBO and we would wach all the "premier" movies at his house. 

Yep, all those games used to be over the air free. My old man was pissed when that was halted and when cable came around we had Prism for sports mainly and showtime for movies as a bonus.

Funny now 40 yrs later I don't have cable at all, just internet. Better productive value and you can stream the games free if you know where to look.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, Birds~69 said:

Quite honestly I don't remember? :oldman:

My Dad wanted Prism because the Phils games were televised.

We had one of these wired things where he would trip on the cord constantly probably after a few...

comcast.jpg

"Jerrold" is a blast from the past! :lol:  I think one of their cable boxes was the first that we had.  Philly didn't authorize cable until around 1984 and then had the city divided up into quarters and awarded contracts to 4 different cable providers.  Eventually Comcast took over 3 of them.  We didn't get our neighborhood strung and ready until around 1989.

I remember some coworkers and even neighbors who had those "special" (in quotes) antennas to get HBO and also knew the nephews of one of my mother's best friends who had a big 4ft satellite dish on their front lawn in the early '80s to get satellite service.  It looked similar to this -

old-large-satallite-dish.jpg

My earliest cable experience was at my cousins' house up in New Hampshire where they actually had cable wired directly to their TV back in 1972 since they received little or no reception of Boston stations.  We were amazed at them having a 24-hour cartoon station. :D

And I remember Prism and I think they were billing themselves as the Flyers station.

12 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

"Jerrold" is a blast from the past! :lol:  I think one of their cable boxes was the first that we had.  Philly didn't authorize cable until around 1984 and then had the city divided up into quarters and awarded contracts to 4 different cable providers.  Eventually Comcast took over 3 of them.  We didn't get our neighborhood strung and ready until around 1989.

I remember some coworkers and even neighbors who had those "special" (in quotes) antennas to get HBO and also knew the nephews of one of my mother's best friends who had a big 4ft satellite dish on their front lawn in the early '80s to get satellite service.  It looked similar to this -

My earliest cable experience was at my cousins' house up in New Hampshire where they actually had cable wired directly to their TV back in 1972 since they received little or no reception of Boston stations.  We were amazed at them having a 24-hour cartoon station. :D

And I remember Prism and I think they were billing themselves as the Flyers station.

Neighbor worked for Jerrold when I was growing up (early 80s) and game us some "perks".

And yes he had a antenna like that for HBO but Holy Moses! It wasn't that big! That's NASA stuff right there... 

13 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

1989 wow damn you missed the cable 80's