Normal Average 
to Date
This Time 
Last Season
Normal
Seasons Average
All Time Season 
Snowfall Record

Binghamton 84.5 57.1 58.5 83.4 135.2 inches (2016 - 2017)
Buffalo 65.4 72.4 56.5 94.7 199.4 inches (1976 - 1977)
Syracuse 57.0 92.4 64.0 123.8 192.1 inches (1992 - 1993)
Rochester 55.1 70.5 77.4 99.5 161.7 inches (1959 - 1960)
Albany 50.2 42.4 41.2 60.2 112.5 inches (1970 - 1971)

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:
GSB Cities The 2020 - 2021
Snow Season
Normal Average 
to Date
This Time 
Last Season
Normal
Seasons Average
All Time Season 
Snowfall Record

Binghamton 84.5 57.1 58.5 83.4 135.2 inches (2016 - 2017)
Buffalo 65.4 72.4 56.5 94.7 199.4 inches (1976 - 1977)
Syracuse 57.0 92.4 64.0 123.8 192.1 inches (1992 - 1993)
Rochester 55.1 70.5 77.4 99.5 161.7 inches (1959 - 1960)
Albany 50.2 42.4 41.2 60.2 112.5 inches (1970 - 1971)

Out of if the “Big 3” Buf,  Roc and SYR I think Buff has the best chance to achieve normal. I’m also beginning to wonder if SYR average is about to go down. That 123seems like it will be tough to maintain going forward.

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Out of if the “Big 3” Buf,  Roc and SYR I think Buff has the best chance to achieve normal. I’m also beginning to wonder if SYR average is about to go down. That 123seems like it will be tough to maintain going forward.

https://www.tsforecast.com/seasonalsnowfall.html

Syracuse has been killing it the last 30 years. It seems the previous 40 the average was much less.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Why would that be? Other than a couple below avg seasons affecting the long term avg?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Did SYR ever move their reporting station in the last 70 years?

I believe in 1949 the official reporting station was moved from downtown to the Syracuse airport. The airport is about 6 or 7 miles north of the city closer to the traditional snow belt area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what the flip has happened to Syracuse over the past 2 years. Seems it does everything not to snow here.

Interesting note on the radar being goofy again...just like with that early February storm. The "heavier" returns move over us and it practically shuts down. The weaker returns move over and it's back to light snow. These easterly winds really seem to play havoc with the upper levels.

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Muskegon, Michigan for the past decade before moving here. Their average has gone down nearly 30 inches a year since 30 years ago...this especially happened while I lived there. LOL

Shifting snow: Long-term trends show lake-effect has changed in recent decades | wzzm13.com

Those are some insane stats for Muskegon.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Those are some insane stats for Muskegon.

I know, right!?! Crazy. They get most of their heaviest lake effect snow from a SW flow in front of cold clippers...and clipper patterns have greatly been missing this century. We've had more of these cutters up into the lakes which have caused more of a NW flow, which tends to miss them just to the south and clam Holland and Allegan...while you guys in Buffalo are on the other end getting the SW flow there. In the meantime, that SW flow is KILLING lake effect here in Syracuse...while we need more of that NW/WNW flow here.

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Muskegon, Michigan for the past decade before moving here. Their average has gone down nearly 30 inches a year since 30 years ago...this especially happened while I lived there. LOL

Shifting snow: Long-term trends show lake-effect has changed in recent decades | wzzm13.com

The people of Muskegon want to give you the key to the city...

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I know, right!?! Crazy. They get most of their heaviest lake effect snow from a SW flow in front of cold clippers...and clipper patterns have greatly been missing this century. We've had more of these cutters up into the lakes which have caused more of a NW flow, which tends to miss them just to the south and clam Holland and Allegan...while you guys in Buffalo are on the other end getting the SW flow there. In the meantime, that SW flow is KILLING lake effect here in Syracuse...while we need more of that NW/WNW flow here.

We haven't exactly been killing it in Buffalo on SW flow. We've been far below average for 2 straight season too. We've had many terrible seasons the last decade including only 36" and 58" in back to back seasons from 2011-2013 and then again with 55" and 76" from 2015-2017. Our average was 78" for those 6 years. One could argue we've had it worst then Roc and Syr.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/BuffaloSnow

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We haven't exactly been killing it in Buffalo on SW flow. We've been far below average for 2 straight season too. We've had many terrible seasons the last decade including only 36" and 58" in back to back seasons from 2011-2013 and then again with 55" and 76" from 2015-2017.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/BuffaloSnow

Wow, that is bad too. The biggest factor there is the lack of COLD coming in with those winds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Muskegon, Michigan for the past decade before moving here. Their average has gone down nearly 30 inches since 30 years ago...this especially happened while I lived there. LOL

Would be interesting to see temp trends for that area to see if it actually correlates to their postulated reasons for the snowfall changes.  I'm assuming they will but would be interesting to see.

• Like 1