• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

I have been saying this potential in my blog for a week now- St Patty's day time frame- Miller A/B hybrid potential exists and cannot be discounted as we undergo a major shift in the MJO and zonal flow pattern across the eastern US. I call this the rubber band effect from next weeks warm-up.  Its coming a like a thief in the night. Have seen this pattern change many times in March- always brings a potential good snow storm. The GFS models the last two days are picking this up this unique pattern change and hinting at better snow chances. While I am not claiming another 1958 storm, the pattern is somewhat similiar in the latestl GFS runs. https://www.perspectaweather.com/blog/2018/3/15/120-pm-the-great-blizzard-of-march-18-21-1958one-of-the-worst-snowstorms-ever-in-pennsylvaniasome-similarities-with-next-weeks-expected-pattern

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I have been saying this potential in my blog for a week now- St Patty's day time frame- Miller A/B hybrid potential exists and cannot be discounted as we undergo a major shift in the MJO and zonal flow pattern across the eastern US. I call this the rubber band effect from next weeks warm-up.  Its coming a like a thief in the night. Have seen this pattern change many times in March- always brings a potential good snow storm. The GFS models the last two days are picking this up this unique pattern change and hinting at better snow chances. While I am not claiming another 1958 storm, the pattern is somewhat similiar in the latestl GFS runs. https://www.perspectaweather.com/blog/2018/3/15/120-pm-the-great-blizzard-of-march-18-21-1958one-of-the-worst-snowstorms-ever-in-pennsylvaniasome-similarities-with-next-weeks-expected-pattern

Great read!

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Going to be windy until tomorrow evening. I swear this region has to be the windiest place on the east coast that isn't on a mountain top. 

Highest hourly winds that I could find at MDT yesterday was 35 mph...not sure where to find peak gusts? Regardless, it sure seemed windier that that in the mid to late afternoon hours.

You do know wind like no one else in here. :) 

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Agreed but if we get a zonal flow in the month of March then that says to me it is spring time and nothing else to track except T-Storms. 

As bubbles just said in another post, momma nature doesnt have to follow the meteo 101 rules of engagement in the weather war we wage in winter.

If one looks at the 500 map I posted, and add to it the factor that the AO is now in a naturally retreating state, we need extra help from AO/NAO forcing to "get the boundary right" in that flow pattern in March.  Scroll through the rest of the loop and verbatim....its curtains for winter 2021 IMO.  Zonal/pac air as far as the eye can see.  We need to see some semblance of blocking start to show quickly, as our normal window is closing.  Thats all i'm pointing out, is that its no longer January (when its easier to snow).  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, paweather said:

Most important GFS run of the year after 138hr. :D

Let me help you......don'l look....unless you like WAR and warmth...

thats not even zonal....thats MORCH like weather.  Mind you speaking verbatim as we are WAAYYYYY beyond range of consideration, but 12z Op was not one to hang hope onto IMO and beyond next weekend really is not in agreement w/ Ens guidance

6z

gfs_T2m_us_44.png

12z

gfs_T2m_us_43.png

Just now, pasnownut said:

Let me help you......don'l look....unless you like WAR and warmth...

thats not even zonal....thats MORCH like weather.  Mind you speaking verbatim as we are WAAYYYYY beyond range of consideration, but 12z Op was not one to hang hope onto IMO and beyond next weekend really is not in agreement w/ Ens guidance

6z

gfs_T2m_us_44.png

12z

gfs_T2m_us_43.png

Yep. LOL. Just in 6 hours!

3 minutes ago, paweather said:

Yep. LOL. Just in 6 hours!

and if you loop op back a few runs, the word yoyo comes to mind.  

Not trying to debbie, but just being real as it really does take a lot more things to go right as we look to close the books on Winter 20-21.  

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Not trying to debbie, but just being real as it really does take a lot more things to go right as we look to close the books on Winter 20-21.  

Yeah I am out of here the 12th to the 21st so I was hoping my luck of being gone would serve this forum one more. Maybe it is waiting for me to come back? :lol:

46 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

As bubbles just said in another post, momma nature doesnt have to follow the meteo 101 rules of engagement in the weather war we wage in winter.

If one looks at the 500 map I posted, and add to it the factor that the AO is now in a naturally retreating state, we need extra help from AO/NAO forcing to "get the boundary right" in that flow pattern in March.  Scroll through the rest of the loop and verbatim....its curtains for winter 2021 IMO.  Zonal/pac air as far as the eye can see.  We need to see some semblance of blocking start to show quickly, as our normal window is closing.  Thats all i'm pointing out, is that its no longer January (when its easier to snow).  

I haven't posted much of anything in regards to snow prospects for a couple of weeks now, and it's been intentional. I haven't seen a look yet that I can get really excited about. 

I think your analysis is spot on in every way. Not giving up yet...but not really getting any warm fuzzies for wintry precip, either. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I haven't posted much of anything in regards to snow prospects for a couple of weeks now, and it's been intentional. I haven't seen a look yet that I can get really excited about. 

I think your analysis is spot on in every way. Not giving up yet...but not really getting any warm fuzzies for wintry precip, either. 

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Love this attitude, no excuses play like a champion! :lol:

You know we're living in truly messed up times when Williamsport is throwing out optimism in the face of adversity. 

I guess that's what a 50 something inch winter of snow will do for 'ya! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Here are a couple of things that could help the snow & cold train later next week and beyond.

The MJO is rolling into Phase 1 towards phase 2, which are very good for a cold and stormy pattern.

Also, the EPO looks to be heading negative which will help to get & maintain a cold pattern in the east.

3850283E-5032-497A-A61D-5082855F1860.png

9DA5639C-FB0F-46FB-BFEC-DECDD7553CFE.gif

8B6F883E-94BB-4411-94CB-982FEDA02EE5.png

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This look that the EPS has been advertising for a few days now could bring a cold pattern with Winter Storm chances for our region.

There is ridging in Alaska which will feed the cold air pressing into the trough in the east. The ridge off of the east coast is forced well to the south and east, but nearby enough to prevent storms from being suppressed.

The MJO and EPO that I just posted above support this developing wintry pattern.

I think that we will be actively tracking a specific winter storm threat for the week of the 15th to the 20th!

22E31C31-DB42-434F-B99B-FE075D077587.png

3FDCE693-10E5-444A-8F1F-89D5EDEBB21F.png

6 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Mashed potato warning snow coming in next two and a half weeks. I’m sticking with prediction lol, and will wager being weenie tagged rest of the year.

The 18z Happy Hour GFS delivered your storm!

This would be a blockbuster snowstorm!

The MJO & EPO forecast support the chance.

Only 300 hours to go....!

4F4F32BC-C4EA-4A5A-B8C5-BBF7221DBA73.png

1495771C-F620-41FD-9304-6BB0B5495CCA.png

CD8ED6DF-4D18-4A24-BF83-B7B9F71D2EC1.png

• Like 1