Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

31 minutes ago, mappy said:

you're welcome to let me know what is considered short, medium and long range and I'd be happy to update how the threads are named instead of making snide comments about it. :) 

How about:

stuff within NAM range

stuff within euro range

stuff within nerdy space weather and butterfly farts in the Indian Ocean range

9 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

And I don’t have to worry about water left in the vertical pipes that go above ground that form the actual shower?  I left the shower valve open so that if those pipes started to freeze it would maybe push any extra water out the shower head.  

I would actually worry about the water in the vertical part.  There is no guarantee opening the valve will provide room for any ice that might expand.  See about adding a bleeder that you can place near the ground that you could use to drain the line or back by where it taps into the house supply.  Those might be easy to add like a tap for a supply line for an ice maker on a fridge.

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

N.Md and Pa plumbers usually stay 30 ". A safe bet . I'd think 24" in DC is sufficient 99% of the time .

Maybe only 3" these days :ph34r:

code for buried utility lines here is min 24".  Water meters are set to 18" for frost line and service lines are min 3'.  I've seen plenty that arent to code and that goes for water to cable.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

When I  have jobs for detached buildings or detached garages that have water run to them i or plumber always dig 30" and plumber lays his pipe 1st and we fill in a few inches with dirt  then I install my electrical conduit etc . If we are in a hurry we lay them side by side . 

Thats a common thing to see.  especially when the new water pipe is pvc.  It helps cause you can then use the electric line to locate both in case you need to find them again if digging

• Like 1

HAPPY WEATHER PERSONS DAY!  I think everyone on this board kinda qualifies, but special thanks to the professional civil servants at NOAA and the NWS that work tirelessly to keep us safe.  Also big shoutout to the key contributors to this board that keep us informed, educated and entertained!

from Wikipedia...

National Weatherperson's Day, also known as National Weatherman's Day, is observed on February 5 primarily in the United States.[1] It recognizes individuals in the fields of meteorology, weather forecastingand broadcast meteorology, as well as volunteer storm spotters and observers. It is observed on the birthday of John Jeffries, one of the United States' first weather observers who took daily measurements starting in 1774.

• Like 4

Just now, mappy said:

snow that can be cleared with a broom is the best. so easy. 

Agreed. I know my back prefers that as well. I remember I visited my friends doing the OWLeS project in upstate NY in the winter of 2013-14. They were housed off the finger lakes (Lake Seneca) in Penn Yan, NY. It snowed everyday while I was up there and it was the fluffiest damn snow I've ever seen. They used to just take a big broom and clear the walk ways. I was like, "Man, now that's what I'm talking about!!" 

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Agreed. I know my back prefers that as well. I remember I visited my friends doing the OWLeS project in upstate NY in the winter of 2013-14. They were housed off the finger lakes (Lake Seneca) in Penn Yan, NY. It snowed everyday while I was up there and it was the fluffiest damn snow I've ever seen. They used to just take a big broom and clear the walk ways. I was like, "Man, now that's what I'm talking about!!" 

a powered leaf blower works wonders too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

snow that can be cleared with a broom is the best. so easy. 

Gonna have to hope for that.  Cracked the S* out of my shovel clearing ice from sidewalks around the neighborhood since my neighbors are a bunch of uppity F*s who'd rather just complain about the HOA not coming to clean them on facebook, than spend 10 min to do it themselves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scuddz said:

Gonna have to hope for that.  Cracked the S* out of my shovel clearing ice from sidewalks around the neighborhood since my neighbors are a bunch of uppity F*s who'd rather just complain about the HOA not coming to clean them on facebook, than spend 10 min to do it themselves.

gasoline and a match next time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mappy said:

you're welcome to let me know what is considered short, medium and long range and I'd be happy to update how the threads are named instead of making snide comments about it. :) 

I think the time frames we have been using are great...inside 72 hours we tend to move something to its own thread (short range).  Day 3-7 is medium range...past 7 is long range stuff...I didn't think we should change that at all...but the way the 3 threads got named at a glance they all look the same with the 7's thing... that's all.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I think the time frames we have been using are great...inside 72 hours we tend to move something to its own thread (short range).  Day 3-7 is medium range...past 7 is long range stuff...I didn't think we should change that at all...but the way the 3 threads got named at a glance they all look the same with the 7's thing... that's all.  

Oh. Okay, my bad. I misunderstood what you were saying. Sorry. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic