Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Actually my experience is that anti vax sentiments transcends "this"^ 

You see it regardless of "That which cant be discussed".

There is anti vaxx , anti Mrna vacc (till we have medium term safety data ) and those that just plain don’t trust anything the government is spouting and that mis trust is Deep* . 

Watched a Joe Rogan interview w comedian Dave Chappelle, says it like it is (he sees it) . This was around Thanksgiving 

Also NPR poll on what ethnicity’s are most willing to take Covid Vaccine 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/04/943213216/survey-finds-asian-americans-are-racial-or-ethnic-group-most-willing-to-get-vacc

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have not seen any evidence of that.  Just more virulent.  That can be bad as well.  More cases equals more people in hospitals etc   Nothing surprising 

I've seen some reports that viruses like this usually mutate to be less deadly but more infectious/spreadable. Viruses that don't kill their hosts get spread around a lot more than those that kill very quickly.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I've seen some reports that viruses like this usually mutate to be less deadly but more infectious/spreadable. Viruses that don't kill their hosts get spread around a lot more than those that kill very quickly.

Well, the common cold is a type of human coronavirus so there is that.  Mostly harmless and has mutated a gazillion times    
Hopefully this will mutate into less deadly strains over time.  It will never go away completely 

Was hoping we would see an IHME model update this week but guess not. Per the model though, we should have hit peak and now it's a slow downward trend towards the light. May not get below 1,000 deaths a day until late March. As stated by a few in here, we need a quicker vaccine rollout. At least in CT though it seems to be going very well. After a ~11% positivity rate the other day today's was under 5%. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Was hoping we would see an IHME model update this week but guess not. Per the model though, we should have hit peak and now it's a slow downward trend towards the light. May not get below 1,000 deaths a day until late March. As stated by a few in here, we need a quicker vaccine rollout. At least in CT though it seems to be going very well. After a ~11% positivity rate the other day today's was under 5%. 

Might be time to change your profile pic. 

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

They will never report any potential good news ..people may drop “their guard “

50 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That will be a political declaration, like "Mission Accomplished." COVID isn't ever going to be truly gone.

And vaccine immunity doesn't last forever.

I believe the 1918 flu was still around into the 1960s, albeit in a much less deadly form. Hopefully COVID ends up mutating into something more benign too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s is good news for moving forward in some better fashion and less sickness and  lockdowns . Thou .They are behind in production 

Im very interested to see what there efficacy is , bc Fauci referred to Oxfords 70% as a “problem” 

Yeah that is the downfall with J&J is their production is not where it should be at.

I am stunned about Oxfords...remember when all this had started and the talk of vaccines were ramping up I had advocated strongly for Oxford and thought theirs would be the first to be authorized. Didn't the UK authorize theirs though? 

But seeing what's happening with Moderna/Pfizier and mRNA...that could be really ground breaking for future vaccine research.

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have not seen any evidence of that.  Just more virulent.  

That’s hard to say really. This idea of a more contagious strain is based only on computer  models. Granted there’s been work on sequencing in the population and found that it’s the predominant form in certain areas. Computer models spit out “70% more contagious”. It was run again and it came out to 56%. Some estimated potentially 20%. I think we all know about models and how accurate they can be. 
The reality is there’s been no wet laboratory experiments done to determine if this is actually more contagious or not.  It could be, but so far it’s all based on a computer model.

A cynical person might be led to conclude that maybe the idea of a more contagious strain is out there to explain why mitigation measures don’t seem to really work. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah that is the downfall with J&J is their production is not where it should be at.

I am stunned about Oxfords...remember when all this had started and the talk of vaccines were ramping up I had advocated strongly for Oxford and thought theirs would be the first to be authorized. Didn't the UK authorize theirs though? 

But seeing what's happening with Moderna/Pfizier and mRNA...that could be really ground breaking for future vaccine research.

Oxford was approved in Uk and couple other countries. Initially I thought they would be gold standard.

You have to recall to, that different companies are sort of designing their studies for higher success I.e enrolling less 75+ “elderly” ) and more 65-74 , as well as some are not enrolling folks w high blood pressure or diabetes And being over 75 . The Surgeon  General Has spoken highly about Novovax bc their enrollment has a higher amount of elderly African Americans with Co-morbidity’s. (I.E those with highest death rate)

11 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That’s hard to say really. This idea of a more contagious strain is based only on computer  models. Granted there’s been work on sequencing in the population and found that it’s the predominant form in certain areas. Computer models spit out “70% more contagious”. It was run again and it came out to 56%. Some estimated potentially 20%. I think we all know about models and how accurate they can be. 
The reality is there’s been no wet laboratory experiments done to determine if this is actually more contagious or not.  It could be, but so far it’s all based on a computer model.

A cynical person might be led to conclude that maybe the idea of a more contagious strain is out there to explain why mitigation measures don’t seem to really work. 

Good to know.   I had only seen it reported that way.  Thank you

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Oxford was approved in Uk and couple other countries. Initially I thought they would be gold standard.

You have to recall to, that different companies are sort of designing their studies for higher success I.e enrolling less 75+ “elderly” ) and more 65-74 , as well as some are not enrolling folks w high blood pressure or diabetes And being over 75 . The Surgeon  General Has spoken highly about Novovax bc their enrollment has a higher amount of elderly African Americans with Co-morbidity’s. 

Certainly something to keep in mind for sure. 

The whole idea that we're behind with all of this though is very maddening. Thankfully at least here in CT, I think we're 5th in percent of population vaccinated but given the uncertainties regarding how long one is "immune" after the vaccine and also the notion that it takes time after being vaccinated to develop the antibodies...we are continuing to shoot ourselves in the foot. 

I've also haven't heard much on the treatment front...the vaccines have been dominate in the news but have there been any new treatments developed or being used or tested?