Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

5 minutes ago, Baum said:

FWIW...looks like the Canadian isn't far off from my Cape Girardeau-Indy- Toledo track. No meteorology involved ;gut feeling,wishcasting, and over 40 years of pure weenieism is all I bring to the table. Unfortunaetly, no cold air to be had.

Track is great. 

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Our snow from overnight has now completely washed away, back to the same piles we had before the snow. Not that it was unexpected, but still never fun to see.

Grass is showing but we are going to have some snow survive here.  I was a bit concerned it wouldn't make it but temps are starting to drop and will be back below freezing this afternoon.

I think a few things helped.  One, the cold ground really didn't allow melting from below.  Two, although temps/dews spiked into the upper 30s, it wasn't 40+ which some guidance had been hinting at (perhaps the snowcover actually helped to mute the warmup a bit... who knows).  Three, there was a layer of ice on top of the snow to help slow the melting.  I think the last one is a tricky balance though because if you get like 2" of rain, that is going to do a number on a small snowcover.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Grass is showing but we are going to have some snow survive here.  I was a bit concerned it wouldn't make it but temps are starting to drop and will be back below freezing this afternoon.

I think a few things helped.  One, the cold ground really didn't allow melting from below.  Two, although temps/dews spiked into the upper 30s, it wasn't 40+ which some guidance had been hinting at (perhaps the snowcover actually helped to mute the warmup a bit... who knows).  Three, there was a layer of ice on top of the snow to help slow the melting.  I think the last one is a tricky balance though because if you get like 2" of rain, that is going to do a number on a small snowcover.

how much snow did you end up with?

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

how much snow did you end up with?

Just a couple inches.

I wonder if the severe lack of snow around here this winter actually paid off with the ground/soil temps in this instance.  They were able to get nice and cold since no snow was there to insulate.  Before this system I had bare ground like every day except for one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Just a couple inches.

I wonder if the severe lack of snow around here this winter actually paid off with the ground/soil temps in this instance.  They were able to get nice and cold since no snow was there to insulate.  Before this system I had bare ground like every day except for one.

Very interesting that you bring that up, because I was noticing the opposite here. As soon as It got warm enough for the snow to melt I noticed the ground sucking it up, especially muddy areas. I was thinking, it was just below freezing for several days and now it's sucking it up like a sponge what the heck. But it was probably because every time we have got a cold blast in this mild December we had snow insulating the ground. Even this morning, snow on the grass melted before snow on the roof tops.

Screenshot_20201230-130947_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Watch out for a couple things

1) possibility of a thump of snow on the leading edge

2) the wave immediately following behind.  Has a shot to be a little consolation somewhere.

I noticed the canadian hinting at a small intense band of snow with some trailing energy from Friday/saturday system. Its still there, so could be a nice surprise for some areas that haven't seen much snow so far.

I'm probably going to be the only one who cares but someone with more knowledge of how to read the models can chime in. Noticing it now appears the Canadian and now the Euro keeping things at or below freezing for my area while it's raining for most of the duration of the event. Looks like temps will be in the low 30's so ice accretion won't be at its most efficient, but not getting above freezing would not be fun. 

Not completely sold yet but there's a scenario where the heaviest band of freezing rain actually happens to my south on Friday...

A farther south track introduces the possibility of other precip types lasting longer.  Also, a farther south track results in a slightly more onshore component to the winds locally off of a still relatively mild Lake Michigan, and the question is whether I'd be far enough inland to avoid that.

1 minute ago, sbnwx85 said:

I'm probably going to be the only one who cares but someone with more knowledge of how to read the models can chime in. Noticing it now appears the Canadian and now the Euro keeping things at or below freezing for my area while it's raining for most of the duration of the event. Looks like temps will be in the low 30's so ice accretion won't be at its most efficient, but not getting above freezing would not be fun. 

The Canadian was the only model that showed snow backing into Southeast Michigan on Christmas, and the far east side of the state ended up getting 3 to 6". And per this thread the Canadian was also the winner of this event in Illinois and Wisconsin. Something to keep in mind. 

11 minutes ago, Natester said:

18z HRRR at hour 48.  HRRR really ramps up the evaporative cooling.  Not sure if that's actually realistic since all the other models have a much bigger zone of freezing rain.

Skirts Us.png

It is bone dry aloft on the leading edge, so I buy the depiction of a leading band of snow/sleet.  Thermal profiles will be changing rapidly as the column saturates and WAA fights back so that may be why it's hard to see on the other guidance.