• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
AMZ8990

The NAM is almost the same on it's features for the past 8 runs, but the difference is it doesn't bring the cold air in nearly as fast the last couple of runs.

Yesterday's 06z run the changeover line was about 100 miles East of where it is on todays at 1pm Thursday.  So where I was getting heavy snow by then with a LP just across the mountain from Greene County, I'm now getting heavy rain with a low in the same spot. That greatly affects snow totals, basically cutting them in half.

1pm Friday on the 06z from 24 hours ago vs 1pm Friday on the 06z that just ran.

sfct.us_ov.png

sfct.us_ov.png

• Like 1

Reading JKL's discussion from yesterday evening, they reason that models are showing way too much accumulation due to warm ground/day time snow falling. That really seems a stretch at this point in the lowest sun angle of winter on what should be a very thickly cloudy day. Also a stretch to say the ground is warm, December has been BN in the area temp wise and lows have been in the 20s multiple days this week and are in the 20s right now, I don't see one warmish day causing the ground temps to shoot up. Snow falling at rates being shown by some models will almost immediately stick and begin to pile up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

Morristown gets under a particularly aggressive band and goes from 4.9 inches through the first map I posted to 7.2 inches over the course of Christmas day.

snku_acc.us_ov.png

I see you RGEM! I like that model a lot bc I have seen it get a lot of things right over the years. That said it seems a little overdone. I like that the 3k NAM has the same general idea though. Seems like an Arctic front with a 1050+/- hp pushing it along would line up more like this scenario. The NAM/GFS seems more like what you would expect with a 1035ish or so HP pushing it, and that looks to be true. The rgem has a high as strong as 1052 at one point that weakens to a 1047, while the gfs never gets stronger than 1047 and weakens it to around 1040. Could that difference could be the reason in the slower frontal passage on the gfs? 

Just now, Jed33 said:

Trending toward the RGEM?

Let's see what the 12z RGEM does...but yes, closer to the 6z RGEM.  I am super gun shy with modeling being all over the place.  Let's hope the trend is "up" in terms of snowfall.  The 3K NAM pops a lee side low and backs flow into areas north of I-40 - progressively more as one gets to the NC state line and progressively more NE.  Honestly, that change has caught me off guard a bit as it had been adamant that the amounts were going to be light, even here in TRI.  Without the lee side low, would have been similar to 6z.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic