friday
    Newest Member
    friday

Winter 2020-2021 Banter

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN ANGELO TX
0749 AM CST MON FEB 15 2021

...RECORD ALL-TIME MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT ABILENE...

AN ALL-TIME RECORD SNOWFALL OF 14.8 INCHES WAS SET AT ABILENE 
YESTERDAY FEBRUARY 14TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 9.3 INCHES 
SET ON APRIL 5 1996.

wow shades of Feb 1899!  Lake effect and gulf effect snow!

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow shades of Feb 1899!  Lake effect and gulf effect snow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6.4” of snow in Austin, third most on record and most in one event since 1949. Low tonight of 3 and more freezing rain on the way. Rolling power outages all over the city. Crazy situation 

• Like 1

Tale of two cities out west tonight with Chicago getting buried with LES while Cincinnati, forecast to have 8-12", got mostly sleet this afternoon and just recently switched to snow.

The Chicago vids on twitter are just insane, so jealous of those LES :snowwindow:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

6.4” of snow in Austin, third most on record and most in one event since 1949. Low tonight of 3 and more freezing rain on the way. Rolling power outages all over the city. Crazy situation 

Do you wish you were there right now?

My mind's in the gutter... j/k, thinking of how thankful I am for today's nice weather and a nice clearing and majority melting of my roof and gutters from the ice and snow. It's such a nice sound and feeling when you get those first hints of springlike warmth (50 degrees after the past few weeks - (with sun!) counts). 

Still have a bit to go, but it was nice to remember that spring will be here sometime. 

1 hour ago, North and West said:

My mind's in the gutter... j/k, thinking of how thankful I am for today's nice weather and a nice clearing and majority melting of my roof and gutters from the ice and snow. It's such a nice sound and feeling when you get those first hints of springlike warmth (50 degrees after the past few weeks - (with sun!) counts). 

Still have a bit to go, but it was nice to remember that spring will be here sometime. 

find a way to get rid of allergens and bugs and I'm fine with spring

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

find a way to get rid of allergens and bugs and I'm fine with spring

That's nature coming back. Sneeze and be grateful!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Do you wish you were there right now?

Yes and no. Not having power and having an entire million person city essentially shut down for days ain't ideal either. 6.4" of snow is a nice event for me (I saw some areas of Austin had 7 or 8") but I've already had more than that in one event 3x this winter and have a good shot at #4 on Thu. There's no comprehension down there (south of Dallas) how to handle any kind of winter event much less anything like this. The utilities are in some real trouble over how things have been handled. To me I wonder how they handle the A/C constantly being on for months under 100+ degree heat but can't handle this. I know some wires must have been damaged from ice but a lot of what just fell in TX was snow. 

• Like 1

Witness that almost all the 'snow' in Houston after the sleet was actually frozen drizzle, which floats down like snow.  I watched.  Almost two days no power, but solid sleet pack kept my beer plenty cold.  Benefit of sleet over snow, pavement patches appeared late afternoon, but most suburban streets still white with what I, a former Massapequa resident, could imagine was packed snow.  1989, I did see snow on suburban streets in Dallas survive several days, I have never seen any frozen precip in Houston not gone inside 6 hours.  .05 to .10 inches freezing drizzle (3k and 12k NAM) before about 10 am tomorrow in Houston, Dallas snow ratios with marginal temps in dendritic growth zone look horrible, 5:1, maybe, but two Winter Storm Warnings just over 2 days apart in Texas 2 biggest cities?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

do they get coastal storms more intense than ours?  I wonder why Tokyo doesn't get more snow lol

Hokkaido is considerably (about 500 miles) further north than is Tokyo, so it gets snow where Tokyo gets rain.

The liquid equivalents may even be in the same ballpark.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, etudiant said:

Hokkaido is considerably (about 500 miles) further north than is Tokyo, so it gets snow where Tokyo gets rain.

The liquid equivalents may even be in the same ballpark.

I remember seeing images from the north with snow looking like mountain ranges with cars driving in the "valleys"

I wonder what the highest annual average snowfall total is from a location at sea level?

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember seeing images from the north with snow looking like mountain ranges with cars driving in the "valleys"

I wonder what the highest annual average snowfall total is from a location at sea level?

Well, I've only been there in winter along the eastern coast, so can attest robust deep snow cover. But don't have any idea of seasonal averages.

• Like 1

If you claim that no models had snow at a specific location...and then someone posts more than one model showing snow at that location, your response should be “ok wow i guess i missed that”, not “yeah but they blew it in other places so that wont be right”. The discussion wasnt about whether any models were correct or incorrect, but about what they showed. Lets at least try to keep the conversations truthful and not go down the rabbit hole of fallacious arguments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I think I see Doctor Fauci there in the back of the party......

From the look on their faces he may have all their parents with him while he announces the general grounding. As always ....

2 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

ERCOT just said that Texas’s power grid was a mere MOMENTS AWAY FROM CATASTROPHIC FAILURE:

Sadly it is only after such catastrophes that we learn to set serious standards.

Shipping is safer because of the Titanic, buildings are safer because of the Triangle Shirt Waist fire, Texas had lots of warning that cold spells could be a problem,  but no one hit the mule over the head with a 2x4 to help it see reason. 

Imho this is just another lesson that will soon be forgotten.