Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

Just now, The Waterboy said:

I wonder if GFS temps are too “warm” if we have that kind of snowpack.  Even with half that amount of snow on the ground.  

Will be interesting to see what NWS and local mets start saying.  

Surely the models didn't predict the -31F in Nowata after the blizzard that Feb, and this air coming down is much colder than that one. I think there's some things the models just won't ever have a good handle on. A 15 in snowpack with this kind of cold air would definitely push lows into the negative teens and twenties. That's all IF this kind of run verified, which is getting way ahead of ourselves at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

I wonder if GFS temps are too “warm” if we have that kind of snowpack.  Even with half that amount of snow on the ground.  

I dont expect to much from them about it. Could be wrong though

3 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Personally, I wouldn’t say anything for a while. The GFS is kind of on its own with that solution. 

12z Canadian isn't going to have that system since it keeps the big upper low wound up better and farther west, so the piece of energy that causes the snow passes by well north of the area.

Wyoming/Montana area moving east:

gem_z500_vort_us_20.png

GFS has it digging more SE over ID/UT:

gfs_z500_vort_us_20.png

EDIT: But the GEM does key in on a second piece of energy that causes snow a day or so later.

6 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Temperature as mentioned earlier....way under done. The cold air continues to seep south. Highs today here (Platte City ) are predicted at 15F. There is no way we make it there as we currently sit at 5F -SN. This is pure arctic air!

The forecast high for Wichita today is 18. We've had light snow all morning long (snowing at a decent clip right now)...there's no shot we get to 18 if this continues. Temps falling into the single digits 30-40 miles north of here. 

And as for the 12z GFS, if that's crazy....sign me up! If we're going to go big with the cold, let's go big with the snow. 

• Like 1

25 in Tulsa now, 20 in Skiatook just to the North.

HRRR has caught onto the temps, although, technically even it's initializing 1 or 2 degrees warmer still.

All 3 major models just can't sniff out the arctic air's staying power and "oozing" qualities here in the short term. Definitely not breaking 30 degrees today....I think we've reached the point where we aren't going to hit freezing again for quite some time.

11 minutes ago, rockchalk83 said:

The forecast high for Wichita today is 18. We've had light snow all morning long (snowing at a decent clip right now)...there's no shot we get to 18 if this continues. Temps falling into the single digits 30-40 miles north of here. 

And as for the 12z GFS, if that's crazy....sign me up! If we're going to go big with the cold, let's go big with the snow. 

Gonna be some high ratio snows around the region by the weekend. Will be fun!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MUWX said:

HRRR was a degree too warm, but winds here are out of the SE, so I don’t think the HRRR is going to bust here. 

Looks like the front cuts just north of you and those of us in NW AR.  The shallow cold air always has such a hard time pushing over the mountains so we’ll stay between 30-34ish while others a few miles north are in the 20’s.

Per the HRRR, Bentonville isn’t below 32 for 12 more hours.   

1 minute ago, The Waterboy said:

Looks like the front cuts just north of you and those of us in NW AR.  The shallow cold air always has such a hard time pushing over the mountains so we’ll stay between 30-34ish while others a few miles north are in the 20’s.  

Yeah.  It has been between 29-34 here for two days now.

2 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

Euro is 13 degrees too warm as of noon today....

Says it should be 36 in Tulsa...it's currently 23.

Does have pretty good icing event for Wed and Thurs for Central Oklahoma on that run as well.

2 hours ago, The Waterboy said:

Per the HRRR, Bentonville isn’t below 32 for 12 more hours.   

Still 35 here in Bella Vista.  And that's close to the MO state line.

10 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Hovering between 37-39 here all day so far. Got down to 32.4 last night then this heavier misty stuff moved in after the temp shot up some this morning. 

Yeah we are gonna have to see an extra push of that Arctic air or some clearing otherwise we are just gonna remain stuck with cold rain/mist thru the duration of this. I'm not sure unless we get a big storm system thru here if evaporative cooling will be enough.

• Like 1