Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm definitely not, but it has been normalized so we don't feel like it's a huge deal anymore.

We think that hopping a flight from Chicago to Denver requires us to get body scanned and shoes taken off while standing in long security lines. 99.9% of the 9/11 risk was eliminated when they reinforced the cockpit doors.

Yes, and now they will want us to get used to "masking up" and staying six feet apart when attending a group function. This kind of thing will slowly keep creeping in until it is just accepted by everyone. It isn't like it hasn't happened before...

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

People get creative with stupid shit. I mean unless we all get body scanned from head to toe ( I’m not aware that everyone does) then it’s no big deal for me. It’s not like they’re grabbing my crotch and telling me to cough. 

I remember reading that the amount of money it costs society to go through the TSA lines was something ridiculous. I'm talking lost economic activity due to the time and disincentives to fly, not just the cost of staff (which was minuscule by comparison). I'll have to find the paper, but I was thinking how much more useful it would be for that money to be spent on stuff that actually helps people.

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yup.

I had to dump a 4 oz bottle of anti fog glasses cleaner this morning I had in my carry on because it exceeded the 3 oz maximum for carry on liquids. 
Yea, a 59 yo grey headed man with a wife and 2 kids in tow is a danger with anti fog cleaner 1 oz over an arbitrary limit.

Isn’t that what they want people to think? I understand something like that is low risk, but just mitigate it. 

33 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Just so long as people don’t get a big dose of guillain-barré syndrome or some other nasty auto/hyper immune issue. 
It shouldn’t, it’s rare as hens teeth, but it can happen.

Bingo.  One of the nasty flu epidemics had a rushed shot (50 years ago?) and a small number of people got guillain-barre killing the vaccine.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Funny.  My daughter is scheduled to get hers 2 days prior to that and starts going 2 days per week, the following week.

Yeah... I mis-typed the date.   I haven't heard much about it since it was first announced over the summer.   

We had ours done in mid October based on our PCP recommendation... he suggested we get it mid to late October.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember reading that the amount of money it costs society to go through the TSA lines was something ridiculous. I'm talking lost economic activity due to the time and disincentives to fly, not just the cost of staff. I'll have to find the paper, but I was thinking how much more useful it would be for that money to be spent on stuff that actually helps people.

I’d like to see what they say. I mean they limit stuff with TSA pre checks etc. 

I will say it’s amazing how different airports handle the lines. Before covid, I flew to Atlanta. Logan had a good method going with directing traffic. I went to some airports like MCO and it was like herding cattle. 

Just now, weathafella said:

Bingo.  One of the nasty flu epidemics had a rushed shot (50 years ago?) and a small number of people got guillain-barre killing the vaccine.

I'm sure inserting bits of genetic material into our cells to program them to fight the virus won't lead to anything but sunshine and happiness for all. You'd have to be some kind of idiot to not be lined up first to get that shot after a lengthy and robust six month warp speed development effort by a company desperate to be the first to patent a working vaccine no matter the cost.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say it’s amazing how different airports handle the lines. Before covid, I flew to Atlanta. Logan had a good method going with directing traffic. I went to some airports like MCO and it was like herding cattle. 

MCO is awful to get out of...  at least it was in 2019.   A lot of people get that pre-screen thing. I forget what it is called

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm sure inserting bits of genetic material into our cells to program them to fight the virus won't lead to anything but sunshine and happiness for all. You'd have to be some kind of idiot to not be lined up first to get that shot after a lengthy and robust six month warp speed development effort by a company desperate to be the first to patent a working vaccine no matter the cost.

We eat shit all the time that ****s us up. Somehow that is ok. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I will say it’s amazing how different airports handle the lines. Before covid, I flew to Atlanta. Logan had a good met his going with directing traffic. I went to some airports like MCO and it was like herding cattle. 

If you think about what they are actually eliminating with body scans and shoes being taken off, it's not 9/11 type threats. Those were eliminated with cockpit door reinforcements.

The "threat" they are mitigating is maybe a random wack job who tries and puts C4 in his shoe or tries to hide a non-metal knife in his pocket that metal detectors wouldn't pick up....or someone who wants to light a bottle of shampoo on fire by hiding flammable liquid in it. When you stop to think how ridiculous these are compared to the extra steps beyond just walking through the metal detector and putting your bags through x-ray machine (these were the pre-9/11 procedures), it starts to make more (or less?) sense.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

MCO is awful to get out of...  at least it was in 2019.   A lot of people get that pre-screen thing. I forget what it is called

We’re not on the Magical Express. They stopped getting your bags you and delivering them to your room as part of Covid mitigation. I hired a van service to get us to the Beach Club.

• Like 1

Just now, radarman said:

3 years ago at the San Diego airport on the day before Thanksgiving (busiest travel day of the year?) rather than take shoes off and go through the body scanner, they just made everybody walk past 3 dogs.  Dogs were happy, you were good.  And straight on through we went.  Was a breeze.

Wow, that's pretty sweet.

1 minute ago, radarman said:

3 years ago at the San Diego airport on the day before Thanksgiving (busiest travel day of the year?) rather than take shoes off and go through the body scanner, they just made everybody walk past 3 dogs.  Dogs were happy, you were good.  And straight on through we went.  Was a breeze.

Those special dogs had x-ray vision though.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, radarman said:

I wonder why more wouldn’t do that? You’d think if that worked, more airports would do it. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

If you think about what they are actually eliminating with body scans and shoes being taken off, it's not 9/11 type threats. Those were eliminated with cockpit door reinforcements.

The "threat" they are mitigating is maybe a random wack job who tries and puts C4 in his shoe or tries to hide a non-metal knife in his pocket that metal detectors wouldn't pick up....or someone who wants to light a bottle of shampoo on fire by hiding flammable liquid in it. When you stop to think how ridiculous these are compared to the extra steps beyond just walking through the metal detector and putting your bags through x-ray machine (these were the pre-9/11 procedures), it starts to make more (or less?) sense.

And I’m not sure how 4 oz is a danger and 3 isn’t. That’s the kind of stupid shit that pisses people off. Kinda like a mask mandates to outside when you 1000 feet away from another human. Ridiculous stuff like that make people mad and not want to do the stuff that does make some sense.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s definitely an extremely low risk type event that those steps prevent. 
I get more aggravated at the people who don’t know the rules like emptying your pockets and looking like they robbed RadioShack before they did so. Why the eff would you travel with all that shit in your pockets?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wonder why more wouldn’t do that? You’d think if that worked, more airports would do it. 

It's because they are giving up something for doing that. Dogs are excellent explosive detectors, but they can't see if you hide a non-metal knife in your pocket like a body scanner can. I agree it's pretty silly to waste time searching for non-metal weapons, but that's the game.