Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Alright well anyways, I do have a question. What are people planning to do for the Holidays? An honest question. 

Definitely not sure.   Normally on Thanksgiving, we bring my 89 year old mother in law to my brother in law's house in Taunton.  By then my wife and I will both be teaching the kids face to face so we could be vectors. Our daughter is riding a school bus and could be a vector.    The city I teach in and the town I live in are red...   we might just stay home.

For Christmas Eve, we usually go to my brother's house in Foxboro.  Siblings from MA, CT, and RI meet there...as well as an aunt/uncle and their grandkids.  Not sure we do that.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Alright well anyways, I do have a question. What are people planning to do for the Holidays? An honest question. 

We aren't doing anything with outside friends and family for Thanksgiving or Christmas. My immediate family living together is already big enough to hit gathering restrictions.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

so... we toyed with buying outdoor heaters and having dinner outside but...given the rise in cases, at least for us that is off the table. Christmas- I think will not be do-able except for zoom given the current trajectory.

It will just be people in our bubble (wife, kids, in laws) meeting separately and most likely taking plates to go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

I think we're almost in no-doubter territory here. AZ, WI, MI get Biden to 270 assuming Nevada holds and all the lawsuit talk surrounding PA is moot.

I actually think we prob know by EOD.

Yeah I agree.  PA might not even be in play.  Flipping Arizona was crucial.  

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m just trying to get ideas and see what people are doing for the holidays. It really sucks. If there is one word that sums up the year for me, it’s frustration. 

One thing I don't like is some of my family (on my side) might be mad if we don't go there for Christmas Eve.  Hmmmm.... an 89 year old mil ho relies on us... my wife has multiple autoimmune conditions, I'm in my 50s with high blood pressure...     I think I can take a year off.   They are somewhat deniers/antimaskers...  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m just trying to get ideas and see what people are doing for the holidays. It really sucks. If there is one word that sums up the year for me, it’s frustration. 

That's why we have become hermits up here basically. Just disgusted with the whole thing across the board. Last night and this morning have just confirmed our decision to basically opt-out of the societal narrative on all of it.

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Unfortunately, just having Thanksgiving at my house with my wife and kid. But plan on dropping by with quick visits to see our parents, possibly for dessert..but not for long. 

It sucks, and hopefully this is the last year we have to do anything like this again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Biden will probably win, by a hair. Senate will stay R and the dems lost seats in the House. So 4 years of an ineffective Biden/Harris ahead. 

The Congressional results are probably the bigger news of the night. The President will be mostly impotent no matter who wins. Congress is deeply divided now, even more so than before. Nothing can get through that gauntlet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

The Congressional results are probably the bigger news of the night. The President will be mostly impotent no matter who wins. Congress is deeply divided now, even more so than before. Nothing can get through that gauntlet.

which is historically great for business/ capital markets.  The blue wave definitely did not materialize as foreshadowed.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When it goes to courts... and it will... Trump should win. But , as we know.. shady things happen 

Sorry. What you state above is what’s shady. Just saying shady stuff is going on doesn’t make it true.  That rhetoric will just divide is more and cause potential violence/civil unrest. I can only think of one person overseas that would really want to see that scenario play out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Sorry. What you state above is what’s shady. Just saying shady stuff is going on doesn’t make it true.  That rhetoric will just divide is more and cause potential violence/civil unrest. I can only think of one person overseas that would really want to see that scenario play out. 

People who get violent over election results make their own choices. They have personal agency here.

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's why we have become hermits up here basically. Just disgusted with the whole thing across the board. Last night and this morning have just confirmed our decision to basically opt-out of the societal narrative on all of it.

I would've thought you'd be happy without a blowout by the Dems across the board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I would've thought you'd be happy without a blowout by the Dems across the board.

I am fine with the results of the election so far, and I would have been either way because my life is pretty immune to these pendulum swings, but society is headed into an even more fractured state after this and that's more worrisome to me. This whole process will do exactly zero to close the divide in the country. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am fine with the results of the election so far, and I would have been either way because my life is pretty immune to these pendulum swings, but society is headed into an even more fractured state after this and that's more worrisome to me. This whole process will do exactly zero to close the divide in the country. 

Oh yeah the nation is just 50-50 split at this point and both sides are digging in.  It's very easy to turn it off in the mountains though.  But agreed with you there.

19 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I often ask Biden supporters what they like about him. What is it that he will do for you ? How was your life made worse by Trump? I have yet to find someone that can answer those questions honestly. Yet on the contrary Trumps can cite several key issues how lives will change if Harris wins 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I often ask Biden supporters what they like about him. What is it that he will do for you ? How was your life made worse by Trump? I have yet to find someone that can answer those questions honestly. Yet on the contrary Trumps can cite several key issues how lives will change if Harris wins 

Many Biden voters were just voting against Trump. Biden doesn't inspire too many people on his own.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's all Trump's rhetoric, his attitude, his lying, peddling conspiracies, etc.  Very few voted for Biden.  They voted against Trump.

Trump would've won in a landslide if he just kept his mouth shut and stayed off Twitter.  His personality turns so many people off and he may very well lose because of his divisiveness rhetoric.

Like has been said, the actual President doesn't matter/effect most people.  State and local elections, and senate/house matter more to how it affects your life.  A lot of people just want less of a Saturday Night Live skit for a President at this point.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

It's all Trump's rhetoric, his attitude, his lying, peddling conspiracies, etc.  Very few voted for Biden.  They voted against Trump.

Trump would've won in a landslide if he just kept his mouth shut and stayed off Twitter.  His personality turns so many people off.

COVID also messed up Trump's path to victory. Without COVID, this would have probably not been a very hard election for him to win. I am not sure a blowout is even possible in our current environment, but he would have won fairly clearly. But the Dems were able to rally around COVID as a campaign issue. Trump recovered somewhat with the law and order stuff in the closing months, and so here we are with a near deadlock.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ll bite.  Healthcare/expansion of ACA...reforming the student loan system/increase affordable higher education programs & the trades...campaign finance reform, get dark money out of politics...rejoin the Paris agreement...bolster relationships with allies...call out adversaries, impose sanctions on those who interfere in our elections...race relations, turn down the heat on the insightful rhetoric. And then I’m certain he will handle COVID in a competent manner, getting the economy back on track.  Keeping middle class taxes the same or less. (<$400k income). Bolstering SS and Medicare...increased access to voting rights for all.  Just a couple things off the top of my head. 

Not a fan of fracking that he backs...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

COVID also messed up Trump's path to victory. Without COVID, this would have probably not been a very hard election for him to win. I am not sure a blowout is even possible in our current environment, but he would have won fairly clearly. But the Dems were able to rally around COVID as a campaign issue. Trump recovered somewhat with the law and order stuff in the closing months, and so here we are with a near deadlock.

Yup.  And most of the COVID stuff was Trump not keeping his mouth shut on some of the sound bites.  I honestly think if he just talked less, tweeted less, and didn't seem so contentious about everything he wins in a landslide.

It's not about Biden, this whole election is about Trump.  They could've ran an Alpaca up there for the Dems and it likely would've gotten the similar vote.  

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yup.  And most of the COVID stuff was Trump not keeping his mouth shut on some of the sound bites.  I honestly think if he just talked less, tweeted less, and didn't seem so contentious about everything he wins in a landslide.

It's not about Biden, this whole election is about Trump.  They could've ran an Alpaca up there for the Dems and it likely would've gotten the similar vote.  

Agree. If Trump could just act more reasonable and take COVID semi seriously, he would have won huge last night.