• Member Statistics

    16,263
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    MDweatherman
    Newest Member
    MDweatherman
    Joined
Itstrainingtime

Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The thread should be sub titled 'Low Expectations prevent big let's downs'.  

Yes, many posters take that approach even before a winter event. Then, if a let down happens, they love to tell everyone “I told you so...!”

I really get frustrated by those posts every year in the winter. Those posts are oftentimes based on nothing, but somehow they claim victory & rub it in the faces of those posters that tracked an event for 10 days!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, many posters take that approach even before a winter event. Then, if a let down happens, they love to tell everyone “I told you so...!”

I really get frustrated by those posts every year in the winter. Those posts are oftentimes based on nothing, but somehow they claim victory & rub it in the faces of those posters that tracked an event for 10 days!

I wish no one would rub anything in any one's faces.   (I take a bow for the most pronouns in an 11 word Sentence)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just hit 90. At least the hours of daylight are shortening. It's going to have to work harder to get hot soon. :)

Just 82 here.  Looking forward to rain tomorrow. MDT had a nice day yesterday of padding onto the possible record.   95 and 78 for an average of 86.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That water depth web site I found last week is quite interesting to watch.  Here is a 100 day output from Franklin showing the drought starting to take hold in early may and a constant downward from there until we got about 1 1/2" last week where it popped up a tiny bit but now as started down again. Also shows a very wet spring.  Gives one a good idea of how it takes a lot of soaking rain to overcome a drought in that 1 1/2" does such minor damage to the deficit.  As a compare I threw up one of the York county wells where it does show a generally dry period but much more normal of a hot summer where there are ups and downs and the down is eventually similar in feet.   This stuff is a statistical gold mine.  I guess well drillers know it by heart.    I am assuming the more smooth downward trend of the Franklin county map is not only due to almost no rain since early Map but the depth being so much deeper which limits quick bounces. 

image.png.cd3aae25dfe8b5336e408c0e2d2d242f.png

 

image.png.b750e8faea4c52e10502a8e399fc0ff2.png

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 12:07 PM, Voyager said:

I forgot about those little bastards. With all the other goings on in the world, not much has been mentioned of them here...

Yeah, they may get overlooked by many because of everything else that is going on...but the agricultural sector definitely has concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Nope! Season high has been 98. Sitting at 97 right now. Things are getting crunchy underfoot...

Graupel?    If so that counts in the '20-'21 snow season. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Widespread storms in western PA, wonder which way they'll eventually miss me tonight. 

It sucks and sorry you and your yard are having to deal with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Widespread storms in western PA, wonder which way they'll eventually miss me tonight. 

When do we get a break from this relentless record breaking heat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can probably take full blame for this heat as on July 4th a few too many beers consumed I took the bet that for the rest of of July I could log 250 miles walking for $250 of beer.  Well tonight after getting off work around 4 I logged 12 miles which put me at 252 for the month.  Better yet, my friend who made the bet joined me and starting regretting it after mile 4 but made it the whole way after I made sure he drank about 72 oz of water with mio electrolytes in it.  What I learned is its possible to loose 20lbs of actual fat, while losing 2 pants sizes, while drinking 75 beers in a month.  One does actually get used to the heat as 98 with the breeze felt like cake today.  I actually can get sorta tan.  I feel about 10 years younger.  Walking on black pavement in the beating 98 degree sun produces produces temperatures well into the 100's quite easily and after a few of those endeavors a hike in actual tree cover in 98 degree heat feels like life on easy mode.  Its possible to sit outside with it being 89, a heat index of 97, and actually have a thought that it feels kinda chilly.  The path on front st along the river is a treasure which I never fully appreciated till now.  I have witnessed some of the most beautiful sunsets in my life with this heat this month.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I plan on cutting back my almost 10 mile a day average for at least a week or two so I expect the heat to break soon.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I can probably take full blame for this heat as on July 4th a few too many beers consumed I took the bet that for the rest of of July I could log 250 miles walking for $250 of beer.  Well tonight after getting off work around 4 I logged 12 miles which put me at 252 for the month.  Better yet, my friend who made the bet joined me and starting regretting it after mile 4 but made it the whole way after I made sure he drank about 72 oz of water with mio electrolytes in it.  What I learned is its possible to loose 20lbs of actual fat, while losing 2 pants sizes, while drinking 75 beers in a month.  One does actually get used to the heat as 98 with the breeze felt like cake today.  I actually can get sorta tan.  I feel about 10 years younger.  Walking on black pavement in the beating 98 degree sun produces produces temperatures well into the 100's quite easily and after a few of those endeavors a hike in actual tree cover in 98 degree heat feels like life on easy mode.  Its possible to sit outside with it being 89, a heat index of 97, and actually have a thought that it feels kinda chilly.  The path on front st along the river is a treasure which I never fully appreciated till now.  I have witnessed some of the most beautiful sunsets in my life with this heat this month.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I plan on cutting back my almost 10 mile a day average for at least a week or two so I expect the heat to break soon.

The January sunsets are even better. You just sometimes have to brave hypothermia with the wind coming off it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, canderson said:

The January sunsets are even better. You just sometimes have to brave hypothermia with the wind coming off it.

I have seen some of those.  I bartend at Cork n Fork, both in Harrisburg and Camp Hill.  While I'm currently temporarily stuck mostly at the Camp Hill location, I prefer the Harrisburg one by far even though I make a bit less money.  It's all about the people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I have seen some of those.  I bartend at Cork n Fork, both in Harrisburg and Camp Hill.  While I'm currently temporarily stuck mostly at the Camp Hill location, I prefer the Harrisburg one by far even though I make a bit less money.  It's all about the people.  

Uhhhhh we most definitely have met then. I get CnF takeout weekly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.