• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The thread should be sub titled 'Low Expectations prevent big let's downs'.  

Yes, many posters take that approach even before a winter event. Then, if a let down happens, they love to tell everyone “I told you so...!”

I really get frustrated by those posts every year in the winter. Those posts are oftentimes based on nothing, but somehow they claim victory & rub it in the faces of those posters that tracked an event for 10 days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, many posters take that approach even before a winter event. Then, if a let down happens, they love to tell everyone “I told you so...!”

I really get frustrated by those posts every year in the winter. Those posts are oftentimes based on nothing, but somehow they claim victory & rub it in the faces of those posters that tracked an event for 10 days!

I wish no one would rub anything in any one's faces.   (I take a bow for the most pronouns in an 11 word Sentence)

That water depth web site I found last week is quite interesting to watch.  Here is a 100 day output from Franklin showing the drought starting to take hold in early may and a constant downward from there until we got about 1 1/2" last week where it popped up a tiny bit but now as started down again. Also shows a very wet spring.  Gives one a good idea of how it takes a lot of soaking rain to overcome a drought in that 1 1/2" does such minor damage to the deficit.  As a compare I threw up one of the York county wells where it does show a generally dry period but much more normal of a hot summer where there are ups and downs and the down is eventually similar in feet.   This stuff is a statistical gold mine.  I guess well drillers know it by heart.    I am assuming the more smooth downward trend of the Franklin county map is not only due to almost no rain since early Map but the depth being so much deeper which limits quick bounces. 

image.png.cd3aae25dfe8b5336e408c0e2d2d242f.png

image.png.b750e8faea4c52e10502a8e399fc0ff2.png

On 7/26/2020 at 12:07 PM, Voyager said:

I forgot about those little bastards. With all the other goings on in the world, not much has been mentioned of them here...

Yeah, they may get overlooked by many because of everything else that is going on...but the agricultural sector definitely has concerns.

I can probably take full blame for this heat as on July 4th a few too many beers consumed I took the bet that for the rest of of July I could log 250 miles walking for $250 of beer.  Well tonight after getting off work around 4 I logged 12 miles which put me at 252 for the month.  Better yet, my friend who made the bet joined me and starting regretting it after mile 4 but made it the whole way after I made sure he drank about 72 oz of water with mio electrolytes in it.  What I learned is its possible to loose 20lbs of actual fat, while losing 2 pants sizes, while drinking 75 beers in a month.  One does actually get used to the heat as 98 with the breeze felt like cake today.  I actually can get sorta tan.  I feel about 10 years younger.  Walking on black pavement in the beating 98 degree sun produces produces temperatures well into the 100's quite easily and after a few of those endeavors a hike in actual tree cover in 98 degree heat feels like life on easy mode.  Its possible to sit outside with it being 89, a heat index of 97, and actually have a thought that it feels kinda chilly.  The path on front st along the river is a treasure which I never fully appreciated till now.  I have witnessed some of the most beautiful sunsets in my life with this heat this month.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I plan on cutting back my almost 10 mile a day average for at least a week or two so I expect the heat to break soon.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I can probably take full blame for this heat as on July 4th a few too many beers consumed I took the bet that for the rest of of July I could log 250 miles walking for $250 of beer.  Well tonight after getting off work around 4 I logged 12 miles which put me at 252 for the month.  Better yet, my friend who made the bet joined me and starting regretting it after mile 4 but made it the whole way after I made sure he drank about 72 oz of water with mio electrolytes in it.  What I learned is its possible to loose 20lbs of actual fat, while losing 2 pants sizes, while drinking 75 beers in a month.  One does actually get used to the heat as 98 with the breeze felt like cake today.  I actually can get sorta tan.  I feel about 10 years younger.  Walking on black pavement in the beating 98 degree sun produces produces temperatures well into the 100's quite easily and after a few of those endeavors a hike in actual tree cover in 98 degree heat feels like life on easy mode.  Its possible to sit outside with it being 89, a heat index of 97, and actually have a thought that it feels kinda chilly.  The path on front st along the river is a treasure which I never fully appreciated till now.  I have witnessed some of the most beautiful sunsets in my life with this heat this month.  I hope everyone is doing well.  I plan on cutting back my almost 10 mile a day average for at least a week or two so I expect the heat to break soon.

The January sunsets are even better. You just sometimes have to brave hypothermia with the wind coming off it.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

The January sunsets are even better. You just sometimes have to brave hypothermia with the wind coming off it.

I have seen some of those.  I bartend at Cork n Fork, both in Harrisburg and Camp Hill.  While I'm currently temporarily stuck mostly at the Camp Hill location, I prefer the Harrisburg one by far even though I make a bit less money.  It's all about the people.  

11 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I have seen some of those.  I bartend at Cork n Fork, both in Harrisburg and Camp Hill.  While I'm currently temporarily stuck mostly at the Camp Hill location, I prefer the Harrisburg one by far even though I make a bit less money.  It's all about the people.  

Uhhhhh we most definitely have met then. I get CnF takeout weekly.