Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2020 Discussion

Hoosier

18 hours ago, nwohweather said:

It’s wonderful when there is a breeze. But the humidity kind of came out of nowhere, it’s been very mild this entire spring with 75-85° in March-till now with dry weather.

Each time those cold fronts hit you guys it kind of turns into more of a dry line so we don’t really get chilly, just dry. It’s similar to summer weather in Traverse City honestly March-April. But now it’s really something humidity wise, but luckily there is usually a solid breeze

I don't mind a few hot and humid days because I know that cold rules the year here. Because of my reputation of loving Winter, it's funny that some people assume I don't like summer when I actually do. Especially being surrounded by lakes. Im just ready for fall by August lol. But the thought of living in some of those Southern climates where unbearable heat and humidity lasts for 5-7 months without a break, then "Winter" is limited to a few freezes at night is truly a nightmare to me. But to each their own!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ORD had a freeze only 15 days ago, and now a high of 90.

I looked quickly but I believe this is the shortest gap between a freeze and a high of 90 in Chicago since April 1980.  4/17/1980 had a low of 28 and 4/22/1980 had a high of 91.  Believe it or not, the 91 was followed up by another freeze a couple days later.  Talk about whiplash.

• Like 5

Shortly before 4 pm I had a developing t-storm side-swipe me and some of the largest rain drops I've seen started falling. I could hear each rain drop on the roof (like hail) and looking out it was stark white as if it were hailstones. Not many but wet the pavement in no time. I rushed outside and caught a drop on my sleeve and it felt like I was splashed. 11 minutes after the last drops the sun cleaned up.

The storm matured to my east so no t-storms as always but Environment Canada issued a severe t-storm warning for a garden storm that was 20-30 minutes past me to the east with nothing upcoming. I love it.

We're up to 27C feeling like 34 at noon. Forecast high for today was increased again to 31C and now to 32C. That is way higher than the 5 day forecast leading to now...I forget what it was but probably 27C. Humidex was going to be 33 but now its 39 this afternoon. Tomorrow same temperature and humidex. This is approaching late May 2006 levels of awesomeness.

• Like 2

It was snowing less than 2 weeks ago with with lows ~23F. :arrowhead:

It's currently 86F with a humidex around 97F. Skipped Spring and went straight to Summer. We finally hit 70F for the first time a few days ago and today it's close to 90F. These next 6 days will put us within ~0.5C of our monthly average for May. It's even crazier when just a few days ago we were sitting 6C below normal. 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

We're up to 27C feeling like 34 at noon. Forecast high for today was increased again to 31C and now to 32C. That is way higher than the 5 day forecast leading to now...I forget what it was but probably 27C. Humidex was going to be 33 but now its 39 this afternoon. Tomorrow same temperature and humidex. This is approaching late May 2006 levels of awesomeness.

I'm not too familiar with the Humidex, but it seems more aggressive than the heat index that we use here.  Like, a given temperature and dewpoint will produce a higher number on the Humidex than the heat index.  Is that right?

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm not too familiar with the Humidex, but it seems more aggressive than the heat index that we use here.  Like, a given temperature and dewpoint will produce a higher number on the Humidex than the heat index.  Is that 

The EC calculator asks for temp and dewpoint to get the humidex.

Everyone treats it as a temperature, but it's supposed to be a value representing a level of discomfort

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm not too familiar with the Humidex, but it seems more aggressive than the heat index that we use here.  Like, a given temperature and dewpoint will produce a higher number on the Humidex than the heat index.  Is that right?

It's just a measure of how hot the average person feels. It combines temperature and humidity into one equation. Relative humidity is defined the same way as NWS would define it. Humidity on it's own is defined as how much water vapor is in the air. 

I feel Humidex is flawed compared to the heat index and bit too extreme but that's just my two cents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowlover2 said:

It is when you have cloud cover and pop up storms in the area. In fact it dropped to 83 and light rain which means game over as far as 90 goes.

It would have been close if it didn't storm, it was 86 before then.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Did something happen to tropicaltidbits?

It's weird for me because on my laptop I can initially go to the site and go to GFS but when I go to change to another model or setting I get a message saying can't reach the page. If I go on my phone and go to the site there is no problems.