Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

I haven't been able to keep up with the cases like most here but are u saying specifically that county ? Or Md's peak ?was forecast for this past week. 

We have had a bit of a nationwide peak in numbers last week. Deaths and new cases have been fairly flat since then.

Deaths went way up today though and that article about deaths at home increasing in major cities on top of the story someone just posted about hospitals seeing an uptick in critical cases...

Bears watching to see how this evolves. It’s ugly that we are still getting 2k+ deaths a day and breaking records a month into quarantine.

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I definitely believe many are dying at home unfortunately...I'd bet a lot for various reasons. 

NY is only adding the deaths at home from respiratory disease consistent with COVID to the total, but they’re also reporting increases in deaths from heart attacks and strokes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

higher population density = higher number of cases?

Yes and the income as losetoa6 mentioned

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

All highest hugging around the city . Looks sensible . Definitely populated concentrations and lower income areas play a hand as well . Up towards Monkton and Parkton with properties averaging further distances apart and general lower pop. ..combined with less people at the local grocery store etc obviously ...not to mention majority higher income working from home further lessening their chances of exposure . Exactly what I would expect tbh.:)

The income thing stood out for me. Kingsville area east are def higher incomes. Then lower to the west by Catonsville. Rural north of Cockeysville, so little to no cases (incomes are mixed throughout). All as expected, but interesting to see in terms of a pandemic ya know? I didn’t thing the income think would stand out as much as it does

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

Respiratory illness generally eradicate themselves after 80% of the population has reached immunity. This a the "breaking point" where the virus can no longer find a susceptible host and spread faster than the rate in which people either recover or die.  China had the benefit sufficiently spreading the virus before policy makers panicked in to lock down.. 

Thinking that something different happened in china is sorta like buying in to conspiracy theory and denying science.  We have no reason to believe that this virus will act different from other corona viruses.  The only apparent difference, and we are seeing it play out now, is that there will be a higher fatality rate because the elderly and at risk population have zero immunity.  

Birx and Fauci tried to tell everyone this back in March.. then sh$t load of people started dying in NYC and they had no other choice but to go the policy route.

Chinese population is 1.4 billion. There is no chance in hell that 80% of the population has immunity already. China was able to contact trace very effectively and confine the outbreak to one province/city. This virus would undoubtedly kill 500 million worldwide if we relied on herd immunity alone without vaccines or lock-downs.

This virus is the capitalism destroyer. There is no way out.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Chinese population is 1.4 billion. There is no chance in hell that 80% of the population has immunity already. China was able to contact trace very effectively and confine the outbreak to one province/city. This virus would undoubtedly kill 500 million worldwide if we relied on herd immunity alone without vaccines or lock-downs.

Yeah. China had the benefit of a single point of origin. Unlike every other country where’s we had it blooming in multiple spots at once.

24 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...we simply can't know the enormity of this yet . Its evolving by the hour and there seems to be more questions then answers each passing day.  The world is at its knees with this thing . Hopefully we see a way out soon 

What's also quite worrisome is the idea floating around in the federal government that states right now with lower case counts should reopen quickly.  I think that is a mistake and the testing/contact tracing infrastructure should be in place first.   

5 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

The way out is aggressive mitigation until we reduce the number of cases to the point that we can contact trace.  We continue to do that until we have a therapeutic or a vaccine.  

Just now, jaydreb said:

The way out is aggressive mitigation until we reduce the number of cases to the point that we can contact trace.  We continue to do that until we have a therapeutic or a vaccine.  

This will require 3 months and as many have said we need the contact-tracing infrastructure in place which may I add is rather draconian. Not everyone will be on board.

3 months is too long for capitalism if that's your thing. That's obviously the thing because that's how we do business.

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yup. People better get used to social distancing/gloves/masks. It is the new normal. A vaccine is probably a year away.

Forget sports, concerts etc. Not happening.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yup. People better get used to social distancing/gloves/masks. It is the new normal. A vaccine is probably a year away.

Forget sports, concerts etc. Not happening.

Well said @C.A.P.E.

It's very important because the outcome could be dire if too many people don't wear personal protective equipment. We won't be willing to lock-down as quickly if the situation rapidly deteriorates during the summer/fall. We really should stay locked down for 6 months but nobody will accept that.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Yea...it appears there will be a wide difference from state to state on when,how,why,long to open up .

It's tough decisions across the board with a infinite amount of  domino's falling in every direction and behind every door . The collateral damage looks awful economically and emotionally/ Psychologically.  Way above my pay grade lol.

As long as people don't create an alcohol shortage, like they did with TP, we might all make it through this with our sanity.

:drunk:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SnowtoRain said:

Yeah, I think the red alert status for a hospital on CHATTS website is the closest to usage that can be found right now.  Some hospitals in MOCO and PG have been on red alert for days.  Johns Hopkins and Bayview were a few weeks ago, but the BMORE hospitals have not been on red alert much over the past week.  Again this is for ECG and telemetry beds so it indicates all patients being monitored at the hospital irregardless of disease.

You can query data to see how often each hospital has been on red alert, but the website is a bit slow.

During "normal" times it is extremely common to see most hospitals on yellow, red, and reroute but since Covid-19 it has become a rarity to see hospitals on these alerts. People that normally use the hospitals for "non-emergency" reasons are too worried in going to hospitals to catch Covid-19. Listening to Anne Arundel Fire, the call volume that you normally hear is much lower except for the calls for potential Covid-19 and other day to day emergencies (Falls, Diabetic, Car Accidents, etc.). 

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

All highest hugging around the city . Looks sensible . Definitely populated concentrations and lower income areas play a hand as well . Up towards Monkton and Parkton with properties averaging further distances apart and general lower pop. ..combined with less people at the local grocery store etc obviously ...not to mention majority higher income working from home further lessening their chances of exposure . Exactly what I would expect tbh.:)

The northern MD tier will point to you in June for starting the outbreak there.  ;) 

13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Blasphemy!! Lol . Total anarchy would insue. 

I don't know about u but I needs a haircut :yikes:

My girl hates my new porkchop sideburns that are growing in nicely!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Growing up as a kid in Northeast Baltimore in a poor area . My family was very low income and most of my friends ...black and white were poor . And all my friends had there extended families living with them ...so consequently you had 6 - 10  or more people under a one narrow rowhouse roof which isn't good for social distancing that's for sure . Pimilico area in Baltimore will probably stay a hotspot and Highlandtown area too . A lot of very low income Hispanics and immigrants I believe down that way. These disasters are always magnets to the poor and minority groups unfortunately.

I knew it happened, I guess seeing it in visual form makes it more obvious that it’s happening.

• Like 1

It was great couple weeks to see folks pretend to care about each other, but now we are hitting the stupid political/opinion phase where everyone has the answer and if someone doesn’t agree with you then off with their head

If you post more than few times a day each day In this thread then you need to ask yourself what are you doing and why. Bringing some knowledge and data is cool but don’t force your dumb shit on people like you have it all figured it out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Higher than Katrina (1,811), just shy of Pearl Harbor (2,403).  We've been having a Katrina a day in this country for almost a week.

Seeing that the COVID PCR test takes 2 weeks to get results... does anyone have any idea if the deaths that they are reporting as COVID deaths are after they get Laboratory results?

39 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Seeing that the COVID PCR test takes 2 weeks to get results... does anyone have any idea if the deaths that they are reporting as COVID deaths are after they get Laboratory results?

There is such a backlog of tests nationally, and under-testing that we're missing a fair number of symptomatic cases and probably missing fatalities. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic