Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

regarding those tests from SK

https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/05/04/governor-hogan-announces-continued-expansion-of-covid-19-testing-at-vehicle-emissions-inspection-program-stations/

Governor Larry Hogan today announced that the state will continue to expand its COVID-19 testing program by opening a new drive-thru site on Tuesday, May 5 at the Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program (VEIP) station in Hagerstown. The Hagerstown site will be the first state-run, drive-thru testing site in Western Maryland.

“With the tests we recently acquired from South Korea, Maryland continues to implement an expanded testing strategy,” said Governor Hogan. “Drive-thru testing at Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program stations provides an easily accessible option for many citizens, and we now have the resources to continue to expand these sites throughout the state.”

With the addition of Hagerstown, there will be a total of eight VEIP testing sites operated by the Maryland Department of Health (MDH). The full list of drive-thru testing sites will include converted VEIP stations in Bel Air (Harford County), Columbia (Howard County), Glen Burnie (Anne Arundel County), Hagerstown (Washington County) Owings Mills (Baltimore County), Prince Frederick (Calvert County), Waldorf (Charles County), and White Oak (Montgomery County).

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Speaking of protesting...here's what bothers me about what we saw in Michigan the other day: While it's perfectly fine  to protest inside the capitol building...should folks really be allowed to bring guns in there like that? I don't get that...(one senator felt the need to wear a bulletproof vest)

MI has open carry. So by law they could most definitely bring them into the capitol. Was it something I would do? Absolutely not.

BuT mY gUnS!

47 minutes ago, Leaking Gut said:

"A sustained, 14-day decline in coronavirus hospitalizations and ICU admissions is needed before any stage of the recovery plan can begin."

Has this 14-day decline started?  Are we 3 days into the decline?

I don't think anyone knows. LockdownLarry will just move the goalposts anyway. The opening dates are being driven by other considerations than just "public health" at this point. A big consideration is holding out for billions of dollars in the next relief bill.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think anyone knows. LockdownLarry will just move the goalposts anyway. The opening dates are being driven by other considerations than just "public health" at this point. A big consideration is holding out for billions of dollars in the next relief bill.

I think the real reason is they actually need more time to train larry Hogan’s commando lockdown team...they’re coming for you, they’ve been on this board and seen your anti lockdown posts.  sleep with with one eye open. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Nice! I haven’t been keeping up with VA.  I’m imagining hogan is waiting for a declining trend that lasts 14 days, I hope they’re not like resetting the clock today because we went up a tiny bit.  

I've heard Hogan say any little bumps will NOT restart the clock.  However, not sure if that 14 day clock has started

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

UVA sent out an email yesterday that very highly implies that I won’t be having a normal Fall semester. Many colleges aren’t getting back to normal anytime soon, I fear. Probably goes jails > nursing homes > colleges in ability to quickly spread a virus.

K-12 schools are probably a huge incubator and spreader as well. Still dont see kids going back to buildings this academic year. I'm guessing MD will make a call later this week as their current learning from home end date is May 15th 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I can only imagine the self-righteous anger that will bubble forth from the #StayAtHome crowd when we see that the states that opened early are fine. It's going to take a long time for people to heal mentally. Brace yourselves for it, guys.

Another overtly political post with absolutely no substantive content.  

And I don’t expect much change in numbers.  Right now, in many places, people aren’t really acting like it’s a lockdown already.  I have my doubts that a critical mass of the population isn’t already behaving in a way that neutralizes or at least muted the effectiveness of the current policies.  Imo we have already seen the impact of that with the flattening but very slow decline or in some places even a continued slow increase.  If we went back to completely open with no altered behaviors at all we probably would see a sudden spike.  But if the “opening” happening looks not that substantialy different from what was actually happening the last 1-2 weeks why would the numbers change? The virus doesn’t care what we call the policy.  The ground truth isn’t actually changing much.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

UVA sent out an email yesterday that very highly implies that I won’t be having a normal Fall semester. Many colleges aren’t getting back to normal anytime soon, I fear. Probably goes jails > nursing homes > colleges in ability to quickly spread a virus.

Considering there have been 0 deaths in VA under the age of 20, sounds like a smart move.

1 minute ago, Yeoman said:

Considering there have been 0 deaths in VA under the age of 20, sounds like a smart move.

Are the professors all under 20?  Will the students only come in contact with other young people?  Or do you not understand how transmission of communicable disease works? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mappy said:

K-12 schools are probably a huge incubator and spreader as well. Still dont see kids going back to buildings this academic year. I'm guessing MD will make a call later this week as their current learning from home end date is May 15th 

I'm pretty much working under the assumption that MD won't be going back "in person" the remainder of this academic year.  Even if Hogan et al. decide to do some amount of "re-opening".  As for next year...hard to say at this point, of course.  And yeah, agree we'll likely hear something end of this week on a decision about that May 15 date.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Are the professors all under 20?  Will the students only come in contact with other young people?  Or do you not understand how transmission of communicable disease works? 

Apologies.. 22 dead out of 684 for those 50 and under, most of which had underlying conditions.. my calculator doesn't have enough space for all the zeros after the decimal. 

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I'm pretty much working under the assumption that MD won't be going back "in person" the remainder of this academic year.  Even if Hogan et al. decide to do some amount of "re-opening".  As for next year...hard to say at this point, of course.  And yeah, agree we'll likely hear something end of this week on a decision about that May 15 date.

I dont know how they send kids back safely. I just don't think its possible. We shall see how this week goes with daily virtual class time and the request to send back completed work. My kid was super excited to have an hour of Specials today. Gym, art, music and library all together for an hour. She needs the face to face interaction as much as us adults do. 

• Like 2

Apologies.. 22 dead out of 684 for those 50 and under, most of which had underlying conditions.. my calculator doesn't have enough space for all the zeros after the decimal. 

if you isolated the elderly and vulnerable, the University would lose about half of its professors and a decent portion of its general services staff! I wish all my professors were young and super healthy, but I like the 70+ ones who have been battling cancer on and off as well.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I dont know how they send kids back safely. I just don't think its possible. We shall see how this week goes with daily virtual class time and the request to send back completed work. My kid was super excited to have an hour of Specials today. Gym, art, music and library all together for an hour. She needs the face to face interaction as much as us adults do. 

Definitely, agree on needing some kind of "face time" like that.

I found out that AP exams apparently will occur this year (my daughter taking 2 such classes).  From what I gather, they'll allow "open book/notes" and that sort of thing...kind of hard to enforce "closed book" remotely!...but there will obviously be time limits on completing various sections.  So sure, maybe you can Google all you want for some essay, but you might run out of time if you overdo that!  I guess that's about the best option here for that, otherwise, they'd never get AP exams at all this year (similarly for SAT and such, I imagine).

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

I’m still waiting to figure out what the heck to do with daycare. I still pay for distance learning but I’m only doing it to hold my sons spot and give him some socialization. If we aren’t returning to Daycare’s open for 2 months or more he will already be ready to move to Kindergarten.

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He understands at least twice a year I suspect 

40 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I think the real reason is they actually need more time to train larry Hogan’s commando lockdown team...they’re coming for you, they’ve been on this board and seen your anti lockdown posts.  sleep with with one eye open. 

They literally have already tried to arrest people for protesting...

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

if you isolated the elderly and vulnerable, the University would lose about half of its professors and a decent portion of its general services staff! I wish all my professors were young and super healthy, but I like the 70+ ones who have been battling cancer on and off as well.

What was in the context of the email? Can you share a little bit? Eager to know because my daughter also goes to a VA university. I suspect many will follow form when it comes to whatever U VA puts out there.

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Another overtly political post with absolutely no substantive content.  

And I don’t expect much change in numbers.  Right now, in many places, people aren’t really acting like it’s a lockdown already.  I have my doubts that a critical mass of the population isn’t already behaving in a way that neutralizes or at least muted the effectiveness of the current policies.  Imo we have already seen the impact of that with the flattening but very slow decline or in some places even a continued slow increase.  If we went back to completely open with no altered behaviors at all we probably would see a sudden spike.  But if the “opening” happening looks not that substantialy different from what was actually happening the last 1-2 weeks why would the numbers change? The virus doesn’t care what we call the policy.  The ground truth isn’t actually changing much.  

Yeah, we hardly have a true "lock-down" (a'la Wuhan style).  More just a suppression of activity.  Are we barred from going outside to get some nice air, go for a ride, hike, go to the supermarket, just drive around ...?  No.  Hardly a grotesque infringement on freedom here.  Not saying it doesn't suck, but unusual times and all that.  It won't stop those who are convinced it's all a government ploy to take everything from you,  or that "they" just want an excuse to make this all permanent, etc., etc.  Or that a mask is repressing their right to...I'm not sure what.  How many people who believe that were OK with the stringent security measures taken in the aftermath of September 11?  But hey, that was mostly targeting "certain people", so maybe it was OK and patriotic (that was snark).

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic