Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

17 minutes ago, H2O said:

lol.  I should let my kids play with fireworks because the rule is asinine.  Oh wait, thats not allowed because my kids can die because i'm too dumb to be a parent.

You can't parent as you see fit if society has deemed it harmful to the child.

If you are comparing sending kids to school, playing on playgrounds etc to playing with fireworks and physical child abuse then that is insane.  

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

If you are comparing sending kids to school, playing on playgrounds etc to playing with fireworks and physical child abuse then that is insane.  

i think his argument is that right now kids going to school isnt going to be super safe if the chance they get sick is high. hence him comparing to letting kid set of fireworks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Hmmm, that seems to fly in the face of all the other models and also what we’re seeing.  Does that not include social distancing or something?

Probably if social distancing is reduced. That was the big story this morning, about a model that showed cases doubling if social distancing goes away.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

i think his argument is that right now kids going to school isnt going to be super safe if the chance they get sick is high. hence him comparing to letting kid set of fireworks. 

Yup, that's the meaning I got out of what he said.  In addition, not just higher chance of kids getting sick...but even if they get it and are relatively symptom free or very minor ones, it can be spread to who knows how many others (e.g., adults, who are more susceptible, that kind of thing).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yup, that's the meaning I got out of what he said.  In addition, not just higher chance of kids getting sick...but even if they get it and are relatively symptom free or very minor ones, it can be spread to who knows how many others (e.g., adults, who are more susceptible, that kind of thing).

there have been many valid points from people who oppose the stay at home orders, they just aren't delivered well that invites debate. schools and kids risk is one of them. 

what you or i may deem too risky may not be the same for others, and i get it, and understand. but its just how things are right now. i dont enjoy being home day in and day out, my mental health is shit for sure because of it. but i keep abiding because i know overall those putting the guidelines in place are doing so with everyones best interest in mind. 

but i acknowledge that its easy for me to say that. we have the means to work from home, haven't missed a paycheck, bills still get paid, food on the table etc. we are lucky compared to many and i feel for those going through it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

What are you advocating for openings?

Phin too.

i am not advocating for opening schools prior to the fall. That window has long since passed for this school year in my opinion.  I am arguing for opening parks, playgrounds and essentially all outdoor activities.  Especially those that have a direct impact on children.

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

i am not advocating for opening schools prior to the fall. That window has long since passed for this school year in my opinion.  I am arguing for opening parks, playgrounds and essentially all outdoor activities.  Especially those that have a direct impact on children.

Should kids social distance?

Who turned this into a crap show about raising kids? Jeez. No your kids shouldn’t be hanging in groups with other kids. But it would be nice and good for them to probably go for a walk or a bike ride, ya know with their parents/siblings in the park or neighborhood. 

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Who turned this into a crap show about raising kids? Jeez. No your kids shouldn’t be hanging in groups with other kids. But it would be nice and good for them to probably go for a walk or a bike ride, ya know with their parents/siblings in the park or neighborhood. 

sorry, this is on me. i didn't take my own advice and ignore phin as i should. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Hosptialization rate (at least, in this metric here) is not part of the federal gating guidelines. You can read the 3 gates here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#criteria

Interesting.. I thought hospitalizations were the biggest factor, considering you're likely to see an continued increase in cases as tests ramp up.. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

there have been many valid points from people who oppose the stay at home orders, they just aren't delivered well that invites debate. schools and kids risk is one of them. 

what you or i may deem too risky may not be the same for others, and i get it, and understand. but its just how things are right now. i dont enjoy being home day in and day out, my mental health is shit for sure because of it. but i keep abiding because i know overall those putting the guidelines in place are doing so with everyones best interest in mind. 

but i acknowledge that its easy for me to say that. we have the means to work from home, haven't missed a paycheck, bills still get paid, food on the table etc. we are lucky compared to many and i feel for those going through it. 

Agree, I know exactly where you're coming from.  Likewise, I don't (nor does anyone that I know of!) like being home day in and day out either, various things canceled, etc.  Like you, I consider myself fortunate to be in a place such that I can work from home and all that.  I don't appreciate some in here implying that either myself, or anyone else, just doesn't care or doesn't "get it" that many others are not in such good situations regarding work and paying bills and the like.  Really, there needs to be some kind of huge stimulus and debt forgiveness (or extension) for those that really need it, livable wage, sick leave, etc...but that's getting kind of political perhaps, and above my pay grade (LOL!).  I think PSU and a couple of others have hinted the same kinds of ideas for dealing with this.

• Like 2

Just now, Yeoman said:

Interesting.. I thought hospitalizations were the biggest factor, considering you're likely to see an continued increase in cases as tests ramp up.. 

I am not certain why it isn't part of the federal gating, personally. My only guess is hospitalizations as you report here might be too affected by people's willingness to stay home (and the associated increases in home deaths). Percent positive + not needing to result to crisis care probably is good enough for the federal guidelines? I prefer hospitalizations being factored though, yes. But as one of a few factors.

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Should kids social distance?

No.  It’s not possible long term.  For a few weeks it was okay.  But keeping young kids from social interactions (playgrounds, general outdoor play, sports etc) will be damaging to them psychologically long term

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Agree, I know exactly where you're coming from.  Likewise, I don't (nor does anyone that I know of!) like being home day in and day out either, various things canceled, etc.  Like you, I consider myself fortunate to be in a place such that I can work from home and all that.  I don't appreciate some in here implying that either myself, or anyone else, just doesn't care or doesn't "get it" that many others are not in such good situations regarding work and paying bills and the like.  Really, there needs to be some kind of huge stimulus and debt forgiveness (or extension) for those that really need it, livable wage, sick leave, etc...but that's getting kind of political perhaps, and above my pay grade (LOL!).  I think PSU and a couple of others have hinted the same kinds of ideas for dealing with this.

and if we try and view from their shoes, i am sure they dont like that we (those who are still getting by without too many issues) are implying that stay at home orders are hunky dory and everyone should just deal with it. it goes both ways, and we all should try and do better to see the other side. myself included.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

No.  It’s not possible long term.  For a few weeks it was okay.  But keeping young kids from social interactions (playgrounds, general outdoor play, sports etc) will be damaging to them psychologically long term

If they play together, do you think that they have a significantly higher chance of catching the virus?

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If they play together, do you think that they have a significantly higher chance of catching the virus?

No.  Kids were in school for months while Covid 19 was already in the country.  Also, aside from anecdotal stories the statistical chance of dying from the virus for a child under age 10 is effectively zero.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic