Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2020

donsutherland1

18 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Looks like the highest gust won’t be on Long Island. Nam did a good just of predicting the best winds being extreme southeast NJ.

Pretty good forecast. Peak gust on LI of 66 and 68 in Westchester so far. That 82 mph gust was with the gravity wave from Delaware into Ocean County NJ. 

4 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

The sky is actually starting to brighten here. Pretty good line of strong/severe storms developing from around Philly down to just south of Dover Del. where there is now a tornado warning.

South Jersey about to got rocked, looking meh for areas North of Philly. About ready to put a fork in this one for our area, although a marginal threat exists with the activity near Wilkes-Barre. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, uncle W said:

there is a chart that estimates the wind speed called the Beaufort scale...

MPH.....comments...

calm.....smoke rises vertically...

01-03.....wind direction shown by drift of smoke...

04-07.....wind felt on face, leaves rustle, flag stirs...

08-12.....leaves and twigs in constant motion...wind extends light flags...

13-18.....dust, loose papers, and small branches are moved...

19-24.....small trees and leaf begin to sway...wavelets form on inland waters...

25-31.....large branches in motion...whistling telegraph wires...

32-38.....whole trees in motion...walking is hindered...

39-46.....twigs break off trees...

47-54.....slight damage to houses...

55-63.....trees uprooted....much damage to houses...

64-75.....widespread damage.....

over 75..violence and destruction...

Yes this has been around a long time. From what I see in my area, the 39-46 fits right in with the 41mph. high gust that I have recorded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lee59 said:

There are always extreme gusts, especially at airports and other open locations. I think most areas have gotten wind gusts in the 35 to 45 mph zone.

Outside eastern Long Island and southeast jersey, the majority of the area had stronger winds last Thursday/Friday 

5 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Yes this has been around a long time. From what I see in my area, the 39-46 fits right in with the 41mph. high gust that I have recorded.

poster on another board in Lindenhurst reported a gust of 62, and frequent gusts to high 50s. Home annenometers are often inaccurate for obvious reasons. Most of Nassau and suffolk gusted 50-60, higher in suffolk. 

24 minutes ago, psv88 said:

poster on another board in Lindenhurst reported a gust of 62, and frequent gusts to high 50s. Home annenometers are often inaccurate for obvious reasons. Most of Nassau and suffolk gusted 50-60, higher in suffolk. 

I went to Jones Beach did not get a gust to 40, I admit I was only there for 15 minutes. I have a vantage pro 2 wireless which is considered pretty accurate. It is 33ft up as to weather bureau specifications. With the wind out of the south I get little obstruction. I believe my 41 mph so far is more in line with most places than 50-60mph.

We will probably see one more big storm system towards the middle or end of next week as the -NAO rebounds. I doubt we see much in the way of snow as it will be late April by then, but it might bode well for more severe chances and wind threats. Then the pattern should break and Spring should finally take hold. 

1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

When we want it we don't get it, when we don't want it we get it. :facepalm:

These big spring -NAO drops have become common since 2012.  +NAO winter followed by strong spring blocking when the sun returns to the Arctic.

29CD70DE-7337-4F4C-A764-B8BD972FD360.thumb.gif.4cbbbd4464bcb50a89523c9541a6bec7.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

not much cold has made it to the east coast even with the -NAO, seems alot different than last year which had rains/clouds/chilly weather relentlessly

Trough has been centered in the center of the country. That will change after Tuesday with temps in the 40’s and 50’s. Next weekend looks miserable.  Plus keep in mind a sunny day in April will be warm regardless. 

480F3E9B-65D9-4F71-A364-5DE41967F206.png

Currently the strongest shear combined with a few hundred j/kg of SBCAPE are moving into Northern NJ with one more wave about to move in. If we are going to see something, this is probably going to be it. Once that passes through in the next hour things should shut off pretty quickly from West to East. 

Overall a bit of a disappointment out this way. I know a lot of damage has been reported on the coast so don't want to downplay things but looks like further inland the inversion won out. Things could have been a bit more interesting if the system had tracked a bit further West and we truly got warm sectored. 

• Like 1