• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    City Central
    Newest Member
    City Central

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

I also don’t. Fortunately I don’t associate with those parts of my extended family often if ever.

Idk where his post went but those who live with the positive person would be staying home too.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Idk where his post went but those who live with the positive person would be staying home too.

They’d be uninvited if I were vaccinated and hosting the gathering.

4 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Young people need to get the vaccine asap.

What was I saying the other day about this turning into something like SARS?

Edit: not saying it will. But things like this at least raise the possibility that it could.

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This says nothing about dirty masks and this isn't a link either. Mind you I am on the side of knowing reusing masks isn't the best but there is no provable link that it increases the spread of covid. It may be gross but we are looking at one specific thing that you have no evidence of.

There is a link, just got to read...

Sure, sweat = dirty.  No shit, who said it increases the spread of covid?  If you follow along, this has been about a dirty mask causing bacteria, and "possible" infections. 

22 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Obviously dirty masks can cause acne and shit, but you could probably drag your mask through a sewer and it still wouldn't give you a respiratory illness

Um ok, not sure who made a claim that a mask would give you a respiratory illnesses. 

13 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

There is a link, just got to read...

Sure, sweat = dirty.  No shit, who said it increases the spread of covid?  If you follow along, this has been about a dirty mask causing bacteria, and "possible" infections. 

This is a covid thread, thats all I care about spreading and there is no link to dirty masks spreading covid. No matter how condescending you want to be, you are not proving any point here.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This is a covid thread, thats all I care about spreading and there is no link to dirty masks spreading covid. No matter how condescending you want to be, you are not proving any point here.

It's a dumb topic really.  Started because malackala made a baseless claim.  There are more important things to discuss. 

3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

It's a dumb topic really.  Started because malackala made a baseless claim.  There are more important things to discuss. 

Yeah slink back into your hole, your tangential nonsense isn't going to play.

Just now, Stebo said:

Yeah slink back into your hole, your tangential nonsense isn't going to play.

You know, there are alot of people in this thread that I disagree with.  The difference between them and you is they provide data , and links to help educate others.  You just spew dribble at everyone you don't agree with.  

6 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You know, there are alot of people in this thread that I disagree with.  The difference between them and you is they provide data , and links to help educate others.  You just spew dribble at everyone you don't agree with.  

Im asking you to prove that there is a link to covid, this thread topic. I dont care if it gives you acne or any other thing. I care only about spreading covid. You had no proof.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Im asking you to prove that there is a link to covid, this thread topic. I dont care if it gives you acne or any other thing. I care only about spreading covid. You had no proof.

There is no link, never said there was.  

The relevant topic (see above) is  playing sports with masks vs what the WHO recommends. 

Be more careful with your words then. You were saying stuff about masks "spreading disease" long before this WHO article popped up.

Smartass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

What was I saying the other day about this turning into something like SARS?

Edit: not saying it will. But things like this at least raise the possibility that it could.

Were there ever any explanations for why places where cases numbers exploded the fatality rate exploded as well (Italy/NYC last spring)? Was it just the overall decrease in effective health care?

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

Were there ever any explanations for why places where cases numbers exploded the fatality rate exploded as well (Italy/NYC last spring)? Was it just the overall decrease in effective health care?

I honestly can’t remember. I think it’s probably a combination of that and the virus was still very new so we couldn’t treat it as effectively as we can now. Also testing (at least here, not sure about Italy) was abysmal, so the denominator of that fraction was probably much higher than on paper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I honestly can’t remember. I think it’s probably a combination of that and the virus was still very new so we couldn’t treat it as effectively as we can now. Also testing (at least here, not sure about Italy) was abysmal, so the denominator of that fraction was probably much higher than on paper.

Gotcha. Not denying the possibility of a deadlier variation of the virus, but wonder if that could be  contributing to what we are seeing in Brazil. It’s definitely gotten out of control one way or another. 

edit:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7291160/ 
quick search turned this up. Underestimation of cases is what they attribute it to.

My prediction for the United States is we will get this under control by the summer but variants will most likely set us back some this fall and winter. Its conceivable this could repeat itself over the next couple of years but hopefully getting weaker over time

16 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

My prediction for the United States is we will get this under control by the summer but variants will most likely set us back some this fall and winter. Its conceivable this could repeat itself over the next couple of years but hopefully getting weaker over time

Hopefully most of us will be vaccinated in the next few months 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

India seems to be spiking also with 126k cases today.

Almost half of those cases are from one state (Maharastra, where Mumbai is, w/110M pop. which spiked first) but now numbers are spiking all over the country. Many other countries are seeing major spikes as well. Not sure what the primary driver is for it (variants/less mitigation/seasonality, etc.).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

As far as the summer, I think it can be a semi-normal one if we play our cards right.  Will it be exactly like 2019 in every way?  No, but the situation will be better than we've seen.  

By fall, we will be dealing with the competing influences of a very large percentage of vaccinations and seasonality wanting to take us back up.  I would almost bank on an increase in cases as we get to fall/winter because it will be hard to entirely defeat the seasonality component, but it all comes down to how much.  Kids may become an increasing driver of spread since they will be the least vaccinated... of course the protocols in schools will play a role in that... will masking still be required in school, etc?  I'm not sure if vaccinations will have started in the 12-15 year old age group in time for the fall 2021 school year, but they almost certainly won't have started for children under 12.

• Like 1

I believe there is subtle divergence in the weekly death metrics and the case metrics as the oldest population gets more vaccinated. For much of the pandemic from the summer through the winter, the 21-day lagged Case Fatality Rate was somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0%. Latest data suggests a bit less than that, maybe like 1.4% or so. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

As far as the summer, I think it can be a semi-normal one if we play our cards right.  Will it be exactly like 2019 in every way?  No, but the situation will be better than we've seen.  

By fall, we will be dealing with the competing influences of a very large percentage of vaccinations and seasonality wanting to take us back up.  I would almost bank on an increase in cases as we get to fall/winter because it will be hard to entirely defeat the seasonality component, but it all comes down to how much.  Kids may become an increasing driver of spread since they will be the least vaccinated... of course the protocols in schools will play a role in that... will masking still be required in school, etc?  I'm not sure if vaccinations will have started in the 12-15 year old age group in time for the fall 2021 school year, but they almost certainly won't have started for children under 12.

Hopefully we can get all the kids back in school this fall. Vaccinations will be key

I'm now fully vaccinated and I believe it's the right thing to do.   These vaccinations are very successful, do not provide serious side effects(for example I had a worse reaction to the flu vaccine in 2019 than I had to my second dose of the covid vaccine), and they bring us to a place where we don't need distancing and masks.   

If anyone is having doubts or concerns about the vaccine please feel free to reach out to me, I can help answer some of the concerns or doubts you have and hopefully show you that it is the right thing to do.   

I don't believe vaccines should be mandatory, I believe a vaccination campaign is much more effective if people arrive at the decision on their own.  I do believe that a country may require a vaccine for international travelers, like countries currently do with yellow fever etc.

I'm looking forward to spending time with friends and with my father who is immunocompromised without the anxiety of spreading this to him.   Life will get back to normal and it will be sooner rather than later.   We can overcome this and the world will be a better place because of it.   

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I will be getting mines next week!:thumbsup::guitar:

Are you going to the speedway?

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Hospitalizations are now almost up to 40k at 39,474. Up 691 from yesterday:axe:

We are going to have to get that number down in the next few weeks or else run the risk of deaths plateauing for a while.  Deaths are still on an overall decreasing trend, but we have spent quite a bit of time now with hospitalizations around or over 35k.