Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

11 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah I’m actually with ya there. Kids have to be in class, this isn’t college where everyone has the resources, this is K-12. Your families with crappy parents and no computers are going to really suffer this year, those kids will get basically no education.

Health is important but with cancelling sports and having remote high school/college, we are raising the chance of serious societal issues on young people. IMO I’d rather risk COVID than missing out on these things. Have to be cautious, can’t be paralyzed by fear

I have sat through the zoom sessions that took place last spring. It was a mess.

Zoom teaching is fully dependent on how competent the parent is. Many kids will simply lose 1.5 years of school in the middle of their childhood. Last spring was a disaster.

I don't blame the teachers for it either.

• Like 1

Obviously it's crucial to not overload the hospitals, but we shouldn't just accept 1000 deaths per day either.  It feels like too many people are becoming accustomed to that.  I really think we could've gotten this down to 100 deaths per day or maybe even less.  With the current baseline, combined with schools reopening and maybe some seasonal influence exerting itself as we get into colder months, we are likely going to have a hard time driving the numbers down in a big way.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Obviously it's crucial to not overload the hospitals, but we shouldn't just accept 1000 deaths per day either.  It feels like too many people are becoming accustomed to that.  I really think we could've gotten this down to 100 deaths per day or maybe even less.  With the current baseline, combined with schools reopening and maybe some seasonal influence exerting itself as we get into colder months, we are likely going to have a hard time driving the numbers down in a big way.

It is directly because people are way to cavalier about this still and because they haven't been directly impacted so who cares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I feel like maybe I’m the crazy one or the one out of touch to think 1000 to 1400 a day is a terrible mark to be at and not acceptable for our country.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I feel like maybe I’m the crazy one or the one out of touch to think 1000 to 1400 a day is a terrible mark to be at and not acceptable for our country.

Not at all.  Obviously you are not going to have zero cases/deaths in a country as large as the United States and we are not an island that can simply be closed off, but there is a lot of room between that and where things currently stand.

It's hard to call it good news, but if there is anything, the 7 day average deaths per day have stopped rising.  But it is at just over 1000 per day.

27 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

The idea of 1000+ deaths per day would have been shocking back in early March.  Now we've become numb to it.  It's become background noise to many people, unfortunately.

Yeah, really it’s disturbing. I’ve personally known two to die from this so it becomes much more real if it impacts you.

• Like 1

How many times will the bolded be identified as a source of spread this semester?

SOUTH BEND — When the University of Notre Dame had returning students tested for the coronavirus before allowing them back on campus for the fall semester, just 33 — fewer than half a percent — of the nearly 12,000 tests came back positive.

But in the one-week span from Aug. 6 to Friday, the university has reported 29 cases of COVID-19. Of the 348 tests conducted since Aug. 3, more than 8% have been positive.

On Friday alone, the university reported 10 new cases. Of the 348 tests, 160 were performed on students and staff members with the football program. Many of the other tests were conducted on students who were either symptomatic or potentially had contact with symptomatic students.

The spike in cases, less than two weeks after most students returned, shows the difficulty of controlling the virus while keeping the campus open, despite Notre Dame’s efforts to avoid an outbreak.

University spokesman Paul Browne said the increase in cases was a reminder that its coronavirus plan would work only with total cooperation from students. He said many of the COVID-19 cases have been traced to an off-campus party where students did not wear masks or practice social distancing.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/notre-dame-sees-spike-in-covid-19-cases/article_df400178-de64-11ea-9eec-8f4e8e14e00d.html

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

How many times will the bolded be identified as a source of spread this semester?

SOUTH BEND — When the University of Notre Dame had returning students tested for the coronavirus before allowing them back on campus for the fall semester, just 33 — fewer than half a percent — of the nearly 12,000 tests came back positive.

But in the one-week span from Aug. 6 to Friday, the university has reported 29 cases of COVID-19. Of the 348 tests conducted since Aug. 3, more than 8% have been positive.

On Friday alone, the university reported 10 new cases. Of the 348 tests, 160 were performed on students and staff members with the football program. Many of the other tests were conducted on students who were either symptomatic or potentially had contact with symptomatic students.

The spike in cases, less than two weeks after most students returned, shows the difficulty of controlling the virus while keeping the campus open, despite Notre Dame’s efforts to avoid an outbreak.

University spokesman Paul Browne said the increase in cases was a reminder that its coronavirus plan would work only with total cooperation from students. He said many of the COVID-19 cases have been traced to an off-campus party where students did not wear masks or practice social distancing.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/notre-dame-sees-spike-in-covid-19-cases/article_df400178-de64-11ea-9eec-8f4e8e14e00d.html

It wouldn't bother me one bit to cancel all face to face college courses. I find post K-12 schooling far less essential, especially the need for in-person.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

It wouldn't bother me one bit to cancel all face to face college courses. I find post K-12 schooling far less essential, especially the need for in-person.

If you had the choice between hiring 2 people for an administrative role with the same exact experience (clean background, can pass a drug test, etc.), except one has a HS Diploma and the other has a Bachelor's Degree, which person would you choose?

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

If you had the choice between hiring 2 people for an administrative role with the same exact experience (clean background, can pass a drug test, etc.), except one has a HS Diploma and the other has a Bachelor's Degree, which person would you choose?

Lol this isn't even a question, you CANNOT get hired by corporations anymore for salaried positions without a degree. The only way you could possibly get into those roles is by spending years working your way up, and maybe getting an offer at 30-35 for a management position. I'll have 7 years of supply chain experience at 30, along with a degree. As long as my interview is solid, no way I get beat out by someone less educated

47 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Lol this isn't even a question, you CANNOT get hired by corporations anymore for salaried positions without a degree. The only way you could possibly get into those roles is by spending years working your way up, and maybe getting an offer at 30-35 for a management position. I'll have 7 years of supply chain experience at 30, along with a degree. As long as my interview is solid, no way I get beat out by someone less educated

If it was a small company and one guy had 10 years of experience in the exact same role, the guy with experience would get the job everytime.

28 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Point being, saying that higher education is "less essential" than K-12 education is ridiculous.

Being completed and within an appropriate timeframe, that's an easy answer -- it is.

College can be putoff a few years after high school and many people do so now days. Pushing back K-12 a year or so is a terrible idea in comparison.

Some kids actually do better with virtual learning.  Some kids do worse.  You'll see a lot of innovation happening during this period where education will actually improve.  Throwing 30 kids into a classroom and rotating between classes isn't a great way to teach, either.  We simply believe it's good because that's how it's been done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Some kids actually do better with virtual learning.  Some kids do worse.  You'll see a lot of innovation happening during this period where education will actually improve.  Throwing 30 kids into a classroom and rotating between classes isn't a great way to teach, either.  We simply believe it's good because that's how it's been done.

How are your kids attending this fall?

Guest ovweather
11 hours ago, Jonger said:

You actually make a good point. Many colleges offer online courses / degrees, so there isn’t much need for in-person courses, unless of course it’s something hands on like the medical field, etc. But most of the basic college courses can easily be attended on-line.

College-aged kids want to be on campus for the whole “college experience” (parties, etc) that isn’t essential. For younger kids, going to in-person school provides a learning discipline that is very hard to recreate at home, unless the parents are highly motivated. But for parents of grade school kids, having to home school them isn’t what they signed up for when deciding to have kids, so it’s a massive inconvenience for parents. Personally, I’m glad I have no kids and don’t have to worry about it.

32 minutes ago, ovweather said:

You actually make a good point. Many colleges offer online courses / degrees, so there isn’t much need for in-person courses, unless of course it’s something hands on like the medical field, etc. But most of the basic college courses can easily be attended on-line.

College-aged kids want to be on campus for the whole “college experience” (parties, etc) that isn’t essential. For younger kids, going to in-person school provides a learning discipline that is very hard to recreate at home, unless the parents are highly motivated. But for parents of grade school kids, having to home school them isn’t what they signed up for when deciding to have kids, so it’s a massive inconvenience for parents. Personally, I’m glad I have no kids and don’t have to worry about it.

I'd say the one area of college that would feel the most impact of virtual vs in-person is the performing arts--i.e. music and theater majors. I majored in music--and I can imagine not being able to have private lessons, ensembles, and performances (particularly the degree recitals required) must be a pain. Zoom can only get ya so far in that! Lol

• Like 2

If it was a small company and one guy had 10 years of experience in the exact same role, the guy with experience would get the job everytime.

Sure for much less money. My father is in a supply chain planning role for a small company (51, HS degree) and makes $33K less than I do. Because corporations have larger budgets, they can spare good money for things like supply chain, finance, project management, Human Resources

Guest ovweather
49 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'd say the one area of college that would feel the most impact of virtual vs in-person is the performing arts--i.e. music and theater majors. I majored in music--and I can imagine not being able to have private lessons, ensembles, and performances (particularly the degree recitals required) must be a pain. Zoom can only get ya so far in that! Lol

Yes. Obviously there are exceptions for certain fields that do require in-person instruction, but for the majority of basic college courses, doing only on-line instruction right now is very doable and will drastically cut down on the number of students on campus interacting face to face.

Yes. Obviously there are exceptions for certain fields that do require in-person instruction, but for the majority of basic college courses, doing only on-line instruction right now is very doable and will drastically cut down on the number of students on campus interacting face to face.

I personally think it is for all instruction from 8th grade on up. They can easily do 5 hours of school, have practice/games and have time for online homework at night. Absolutely sucked juggling sports with school growing up because you spend so much time in school

59 minutes ago, ovweather said:

I'm not advocating that we do differently...just pointing out the exception that's all