Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

16 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

You had to figure this would happen at some point, but perhaps not this early on.

I wonder how many people have gotten the Pfizer vaccine so far, whether in or not in a trial.  We know it would be sort of a small number, relatively speaking, compared to how many will eventually get it.  There could end up being hundreds if not thousands of these types of occurrences over the long haul unless the formula is tweaked.  The good news is that these reactions are being caught quickly so that people can be given proper treatment.  

The larger point though is that this stuff apparently wasn't caught in the trial, which is why I am happy to not be one of the first in line to get this vaccine.  Many, many millions will have gotten it before my turn comes up.  Can't rule out that some other 1 in 50,000 or whatever type of side effect will reveal itself at some point.  Odds like that are long but it means it happens every once in a great while.

Canada has a plan for mass inoculation for every single Canadian by September 2021. I believe Canada has signed purchase agreements with like seven different pharma companies. This is the breakdown I saw online. 

Pfizer — Up to 76 million doses 

Moderna — Up to 56 million (So far agreed to purchase 40 million)

Medicago — Up to 76 million

AstraZeneca — Up to 20 million

Johnson & Johnson — Up to 38 million

Novavax — Up to 76 million

Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline — Up to 72 million

International COVAX Facility — Up to 15 million

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Maybe one of the more severe allergic reactions to the vaccine that we've heard about so far.  This woman had no history of allergies and her symptoms kept coming back.

Alaska Health Worker Had a Serious Allergic Reaction After Pfizer's Vaccine

WASHINGTON — A health care worker in Alaska had a serious allergic reaction after getting Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine Tuesday, symptoms that emerged within minutes and required an overnight hospital stay.

The middle-aged worker had no history of allergies but had an anaphylactic reaction that began 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau, Alaska, a hospital official said. She experienced a rash over her face and torso, shortness of breath and an elevated heart rate.

Dr. Lindy Jones, the hospital’s emergency department medical director, said the worker was first given a shot of epinephrine, a standard treatment for severe allergic reactions. Her symptoms subsided but then reemerged, and she was treated with steroids and an epinephrine drip.

When doctors tried to stop the drip, her symptoms reemerged yet again, so the woman was moved to the intensive care unit, observed throughout the night, then weaned off the drip early Wednesday morning, Jones said. He said the woman felt well, remained enthusiastic about the vaccine and was set to be discharged later Wednesday.

Although the Pfizer vaccine was shown to be safe and about 95% effective in a clinical trial involving 44,000 participants, the Alaska case will likely intensify concerns about possible side effects. Experts described the woman’s symptoms as potentially life-threatening and said that they may prompt calls for tighter guidelines to ensure that recipients are carefully monitored for adverse reactions.

Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert and member of an outside advisory panel that recommended the Food and Drug Administration authorize the Pfizer vaccine for emergency use, said the appropriate precautions are already in place. For instance, he said, the requirement that recipients remain in place for 15 minutes after getting the vaccine helped ensure the woman was quickly treated.

“I don’t think this means we should pause" vaccine distribution, he said. “Not at all.” But he said researchers need to figure out “what component of the vaccine is causing this reaction.”

Dr. Jay Butler, a top infectious disease expert with the Centers for Disease Control, said the Alaska case showed the monitoring system works. The agency has recommended that the vaccine be administered in settings that have supplies, including oxygen and epinephrine, to manage anaphylactic reactions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alaska-health-worker-had-serious-012800134.html

If they continue to have reactions from people  who had no prior history of anaphylaxis that will force them to give vaccine in hospital settings only. If they can't figure out why or perhaps its an issue with this mRNA class vaccine then may see issues with Moderna's version also. Not to negatively speculate but already a delay in shipments, possible limitations to setting it can be administered could equal long delays. Really have to wonder if this gets substantially delayed into fall or early next winter to vaccinate a decent percentage of the population will alot of the population already have been exposed anyways. With infection rates the way they are now it seems so many people will have been exposed it might be better to filter people through an antigen test and prioritize vaccination of those who still haven't been exposed. Would still expect frontline workers, nursing homes, people over 65 etc.. to get it first. But once into general population maybe a different strategy?

There's some weird stuff going on with Indiana's hospitalization stats lately.  There was the big 1 day spike in covid hospitalizations the other day.  Then there was a pretty significant increase in the non-covid ICU numbers.  Now today, the covid ICU number dropped by like 170 (talking ICU, not total covid hospitalizations).  The ICU covid number has never really fluctuated by more than 50-60 in a day, and often less than that.

Now about 24 hours after getting the vaccine, here's what I experienced. The injection was nearly painless, no burning or anything. The first 12 hours I had no symptoms at all, starting at about 12 hours I started to have some slight tenderness where they did the injection, tender to palpation and mild pain when I used the muscle. It wasn't nearly bad enough that I would have taken a Tylenol or Motrin. It was slightly uncomfortable to sleep on that side. The soreness is already starting to improve.

Regarding the allergic reactions being seen, I think it's important to administer the dose in a seeing where there is epinephrine, Benadryl and nursing care at a minimum all available. Anaphylactic type allergic reactions are very serious but also very treatable. I'm guessing it's more likely caused by some preservative or other component of the vaccine not the mRNA. So I'm not sure if you can definitely expect the same rates of allergic reactions between this vaccine and the Moderna one.

38 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Now about 24 hours after getting the vaccine, here's what I experienced. The injection was nearly painless, no burning or anything. The first 12 hours I had no symptoms at all, starting at about 12 hours I started to have some slight tenderness where they did the injection, tender to palpation and mild pain when I used the muscle. It wasn't nearly bad enough that I would have taken a Tylenol or Motrin. It was slightly uncomfortable to sleep on that side. The soreness is already starting to improve.

Regarding the allergic reactions being seen, I think it's important to administer the dose in a seeing where there is epinephrine, Benadryl and nursing care at a minimum all available. Anaphylactic type allergic reactions are very serious but also very treatable. I'm guessing it's more likely caused by some preservative or other component of the vaccine not the mRNA. So I'm not sure if you can definitely expect the same rates of allergic reactions between this vaccine and the Moderna one.

In the article I linked last night, a vaccine expert suggests it may be the polyethylene glycol that is in the lipids that encase the mRNA.  Moderna used a similar thing that also contains polyethylene glycol (not exactly the same lipids though) so we'll see what happens as that one gets out into the public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

In the article I linked last night, a vaccine expert suggests it may be the polyethylene glycol that is in the lipids that encase the mRNA.  Moderna used a similar thing that also contains polyethylene glycol (not exactly the same lipids though) so we'll see what happens as that one gets out into the public.

Can only hope that there aren't too many reactions to these vaccines 

33 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Reactions are par for the course for a rushed product. But if most don't have a reaction, it will not matter for those who do.

This is not a good take, so far the rate of allergic reaction doesn't appear to far outside what is common. Need to apply Bayes theory here to determine the significance.

They cut out red tape in the review process for the clinical trials but didn't compromise the quality of the clinical trial. A 40,000 participant double blind RCT is about as good of quality data as one can get. The only big shortcut in my mind is to approve them EUA with only 2 months of safety data rather than a longer follow up period. Under the circumstances, I believe this is a reasonable shortcut to take.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Not good. ICUs are 100% full. With these numbers in about 5 to 10 days they may need to open a convention center or stadium soon

Already happening:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hospitals across California have all but run out of intensive care beds for COVID-19 patients, ambulances are backing up outside emergency rooms, and tents for triaging the sick are going up as the nation’s most populous state emerges as the latest epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

“I’ve seen more deaths in the last nine months in my ICU than I have in my entire 20-year career,” said Amy Arlund, a nurse at Kaiser Permanente Fresno Medical Center.

Patients are being cared for at several overflow locations, including a former NBA arena in Sacramento, a former prison and a college gymnasium. Standby sites include a vacant Sears building in Riverside County.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Already happening:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hospitals across California have all but run out of intensive care beds for COVID-19 patients, ambulances are backing up outside emergency rooms, and tents for triaging the sick are going up as the nation’s most populous state emerges as the latest epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

“I’ve seen more deaths in the last nine months in my ICU than I have in my entire 20-year career,” said Amy Arlund, a nurse at Kaiser Permanente Fresno Medical Center.

Patients are being cared for at several overflow locations, including a former NBA arena in Sacramento, a former prison and a college gymnasium. Standby sites include a vacant Sears building in Riverside County.

Yikes!!! If thats the case the death rate is getting ready to skyrocket. 5000 body will not be enough 

Numbers in the Upper Midwest continue to fall a bit, but Southeast is really starting to spike now. 8400 in NC, 5300 AL, 13000 FL for example.

Looking at California hospitalizations, 17,000 now. At current rate of increases they will pass NY April peak in 4-5 days. Obviously CA has more population, but that doesn't diminish the seriousness of the situation there.