• Member Statistics

    15,927
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Hawkeyecr
    Newest Member
    Hawkeyecr
    Joined
George BM

March Banter 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

On average 105 people die every day in the us in auto accidents. This year at least 16,000 have died from the flu virus. In 2017, over 5,000 people died in the us from choking.

We haven’t closed businesses, schools, sporting events, etc because we are afraid to drive. We haven’t quarantined ourselves in our homes because of flu. We don’t stop eating from fear of choking.

You could go on and on with stats, but for the point is clear.

It’s prudent to take precautions but it’s irrational to make this more than it is. Of course we live in the time of sensationalism so ....

I agree with that. In situations like this, oftentimes the misinformation and rumors make things far worse than the actual issue we’re trying to address. Fortunately, the mortality rate for this has not been nearly as high as some other short-lived outbreaks we’ve seen the last decade or so.

That said, I think pandemics require special attention and vigilance if for no other reason than their ability to quickly spread and the limitations to containment. You don’t know what you will get, and our beliefs on a virus on day 100 isn’t always the same a year later when you learn more about transmission and mortality.

A quickly spreading virus shouldn’t need to be Ebola to wake people up. Unfortunately, with the way information is disseminated these days people either think something isn’t a big deal at all or an existential threat. Most things are in the middle. While I might get something akin to a cold and it’s barely a blip on my medical history, I could go to a nursing home to visit a grandparent or go to work and chat up a coworker with some underlying medical issue and then it’s a far more serious situation. 

An estimated 60 million Americans got swine flu. Just a third of that with a 1% mortality rate would kill a lot more than almost all of our worst “typical” flu seasons. 

(not saying you’re downplaying anything, just adding to the conversation)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I agree with that. In situations like this, oftentimes the misinformation and rumors make things far worse than the actual issue we’re trying to address. Fortunately, the mortality rate for this has not been nearly as high as some other short-lived outbreaks we’ve seen the last decade or so.

That said, I think pandemics require special attention and vigilance if for no other reason than their ability to quickly spread and the limitations to containment. You don’t know what you will get, and our beliefs on a virus on day 100 isn’t always the same a year later when you learn more about transmission and mortality.

A quickly spreading virus shouldn’t need to be Ebola to wake people up. Unfortunately, with the way information is disseminated these days people either think something isn’t a big deal at all or an existential threat. Most things are in the middle. While I might get something akin to a cold and it’s barely a blip on my medical history, I could go to a nursing home to visit a grandparent or go to work and chat up a coworker with some underlying medical issue and then it’s a far more serious situation. 

An estimated 60 million Americans got swine flu. Just a third of that with a 1% mortality rate would kill a lot more than almost all of our worst “typical” flu seasons. 

(not saying you’re downplaying anything, just adding to the conversation)

I’m paying attention. I’ve seen this bug do a number to every country that was like “eh maybe we can ignore this” and it’s dumb not to be prepared at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I’m paying attention. I’ve seen this bug do a number to every country that was like “eh maybe we can ignore this” and it’s dumb not to be prepared at least.

I’m not dismissing the possible severity of this but I do think hearing every time one person tests positive in a country of over 300 million isn’t helpful. This could get very bad but we don’t know and right now it’s not. But hearing every hour how one more person tested positive creates the illusion it is.  I’m worried about this but some people are freaking out too much over the way it’s being covered. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not dismissing the possible severity of this but I do think hearing every time one person tests positive in a country of over 300 million isn’t helpful. This could get very bad but we don’t know and right now it’s not. But hearing every hour how one more person tested positive creates the illusion it is.  I’m worried about this but some people are freaking out too much over the way it’s being covered. 

Yeah it’s probably not helpful but it’s moving very quickly, especially in some other countries. Not sure how you could report it when so many people want information. Iran and Italy seem particularly hard hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah it’s probably not helpful but it’s moving very quickly, especially in some other countries. Not sure how you could report it when so many people want information. Iran and Italy seem particularly hard hit. 

I’m not on the side that this is no big deal or no worse than the flu but I don’t think reporting every case is the best way to inform about the severity.  We will know when it is “bad” when we see societal impacts.  People actually severely ill.  Spikes in hospitalizations and deaths.  And that may come.  But reporting that a few more people in the whole country tested positive every hour doesn’t tell us much we don’t alreasy know and spreads fear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

On average 105 people die every day in the us in auto accidents. This year at least 16,000 have died from the flu virus. In 2017, over 5,000 people died in the us from choking.

We haven’t closed businesses, schools, sporting events, etc because we are afraid to drive. We haven’t quarantined ourselves in our homes because of flu. We don’t stop eating from fear of choking.

You could go on and on with stats, but for the point is clear.

It’s prudent to take precautions but it’s irrational to make this more than it is. Of course we live in the time of sensationalism so ....

If you're over 60 and/or have bad pre existing conditions then theres reason to worry and perhaps really change one's lifestyle. But otherwise, no. Its not much different than the flu for young people.  Wash your hands, dont be a complete slob and drink a couple Coronas a day and we'll all be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to note is that there could be plenty of people who have or have contracted coronavirus, but haven't been sick enough to have to go to the doctor. The informational effect of this is twofold:

  1. The virus is more widespread than is currently reported
  2. The virus isn't nearly as deadly as is feared based on the currently reported mortality rates

People need to calm the F down. I wish the government could get its sh*t together to help calm fears and to put forth a united and meaningful response, but we all know that's not happening/won't happen, nor will the media lessen the sensationalism that drives clicks. People just need to do it on their own, but sadly many people can't do that.

Basically, stock up on water and beer and bread and canned goods now because society will cease to function in about 30 days because of the stupidity of people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, North Balti Zen said:

So...I was just asked here at work what's going on with the weather. I haven't been paying attention to the local news - are they playing up tonight like it's a thing?

Tell them you don't care. You're holing up because of coronavirus.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reports of new cases of positive tests are newsworthy in that it is indicator that the virus is spreading. On the surface its not a big deal when there is a report of one new case now in the state of(fill in the blank). Ofc if there is now one person there who has it, there are likely many others walking around infected but not showing symptoms yet. The lack of available test kits is a major issue and really inexcusable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

So...I was just asked here at work what's going on with the weather. I haven't been paying attention to the local news - are they playing up tonight like it's a thing?

Just the usuals...Berky Berk and Pann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Tell them you don't care. You're holing up because of coronavirus.

This is the original coronavirus, and it is hideous.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not on the side that this is no big deal or no worse than the flu but I don’t think reporting every case is the best way to inform about the severity.  We will know when it is “bad” when we see societal impacts.  People actually severely ill.  Spikes in hospitalizations and deaths.  And that may come.  But reporting that a few more people in the whole country tested positive every hour doesn’t tell us much we don’t alreasy know and spreads fear.  

Yeah, that’s fair. 

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The reports of new cases of positive tests are newsworthy in that it is indicator of  that the virus is spreading. On the surface its not a big deal when there is a report of one new case now in the state of(fill in the blank). Ofc if there is now one person there who has it, there are likely many others walking around infected but not showing symptoms yet. The lack of available test kits is a major issue and really inexcusable.

Totally agree. It only helps stoke the misinformation and panic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Speaking of corona, just an awful awful beer.

And the commercials might be even worse lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Speaking of corona, just an awful awful beer.

I love craft stouts, sours and porters but I can handle a few coronas particularly on a hot summer day or on a tropical vacation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baltimorewx said:

I love craft stouts, sours and porters but I can handle a few coronas particularly on a hot summer day or on a tropical vacation

:yikes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This is the original coronavirus, and it is hideous.

 

Damn, I’ve reached the point on the circle where the lime wedge in the bottle sparks more interest than the holder.  As always ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If you just need to guzzle down an ice cold beer on a hot summer day, that's what miller lite is for.

For some reason, I cant do domestics...never been a miller, bud, coors kind of guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The reports of new cases of positive tests are newsworthy in that it is indicator that the virus is spreading. On the surface its not a big deal when there is a report of one new case now in the state of(fill in the blank). Ofc if there is now one person there who has it, there are likely many others walking around infected but not showing symptoms yet. The lack of available test kits is a major issue and really inexcusable.

It’s a difficult issue because knowing where it’s spread is useful. But the running minute by minute updates to the number is more spreading panic than informing imo. I am seeing it at work and with family who are reacting to every update even if it’s just “2 more people report positive”. That doesn’t really change the equation. Frankly this is likely widespread already we just don’t know it because of a lack of testing. It’s not so much the reporting itself that’s the issue as much as people misinterpreting the information. But I don’t know how you account for “stupid”. I just know I see people over reacting to these constant non stop “updates” that don’t really say anything that changes the equation imo.  

I will say this...during Super Tuesday coverage I did have the thought that “while this is a legit threat it’s abviouslt not a true emergency YET” because for 24 hours it totally disappeared for non stop political coverage.   There was no break away coverage or hourly updates on the emergency...it just disappeared from the news when they had something else to talk about. 

I really hope the idiots on the other end of the spectrum who aren’t taking this seriously enough and think it’s some kind of contrived thing or conspiracy don’t use what I’m saying because I’m not there either. This is a real issue with the potential to get bad.  I’m just seeing a lot of extreme reactions on both sides.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The reports of new cases of positive tests are newsworthy in that it is indicator that the virus is spreading. On the surface its not a big deal when there is a report of one new case now in the state of(fill in the blank). Ofc if there is now one person there who has it, there are likely many others walking around infected but not showing symptoms yet. The lack of available test kits is a major issue and really inexcusable.

Or might not present any noticeable symptoms at all, will fight off the virus, and will be perfectly healthy when their immune system has done its job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Imagine if the seasonal flu carried this much panic and paranoia. People would never leave their houses.

the MUCH deadlier and infectious seasonal flu*

Fixed...

 

It's the new kid on the block though, so it's getting all the attention right now. There's a good possibility of people not spreading the flu as much though, because of the new guy. So that's good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

That's just insane.

They havent said anything too wild but ya know how Berk is and Pann is just being very vauge all the time with the snow train stuff..so he'll say a chance of snow and obviously people take that and run. He needs to be more specific and say flurries/snow showers/non accumulating snow etc but hes been a hype master this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

So...I was just asked here at work what's going on with the weather. I haven't been paying attention to the local news - are they playing up tonight like it's a thing?

Ava was not making into something this morning when she was on TV, she mentioned it could happen but temps would be above 32 so it wouldn't be much nor would it accumulate. 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If you just need to guzzle down an ice cold beer on a hot summer day, that's what miller lite is for.

this. a 30 of miller is our usual go-to when we have a group coming over to enjoy the pool. sure we tell them to bring their own too, but its always nice to just to have extras around and a cheap drunk is my favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.